NEED INFO ON HOW TO PREV ENT DUMPING SYNDROME AFTER GASTRIC

Options
I have an elderly family member who essentially had a gastric bypass due to ischemic bowel. He was essentially given no education afterwards and has been fighting chronic diarrhea and stomach pain and has lost a frightening amount of weight. His PCP just saw him and almost lost his mind when he saw how emaciated he is. The PCP wants him to go to a registered dietician but he will not. Please offer any guidance on what foods he may be able to tolerate without pain/diarrhea.

Replies

• raelynne629
    raelynne629 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    knock out the sugar and grease asap, lots of protein and veggies first. The dumping is primarily due to sugar. It's an awful feeling.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    he should listen to his Doctor
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    i agree with raelynn629 veges are going to be essential. I hope he/she feels better and you can hopefully talk some sense into going to see a dietician because they would tell him the best stuff for him'/her to eat too. my g-ma had that and she was on a strict vegge/ protein/fruit/ anything light that would normally go out easily. oatmeal
  • skatermom503
    Options
    But he is elderly and it might be a financial thing. Medicare often won't pay for dietician consults and they run $200 to $300 for just the initial visit. Maybe they should look for help at the senior center in their area where they often serve meals. He should also try to increase his fiber if he can.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree DUMPING is from tooo much sugar. He should be eating low carbs, high protein, natural sugar, fruits. No more processed sugars, candy, cakes, cookies....etc. I would also URGE him to see a dietican/nutrotionalist that specializes in gastric bypass surgery. Sounds like he needs alot of help :)

12117749.png
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    as an RN, I have a hard time believing that he recieved no education regarding the surgery, even if it was done on an emergency basis for an ischemic bowel. However:

drop the sugar, including (especially) fruit juices & refined sugar.
    drop grease - no more fried foods
    see a dietician, or at least look into support groups for bypass patients.

He should be getting as much protien as he can stand, and then carbs

He should have at LEAST gotten a handful of literature about what to expect. The reality is if you're handed a bunch of information and the nurse/doctor/hospital employee asks if you understand it and you say "yes" when you mean to say "no", then these kinds of things can happen, and they can be tragic when they do.