Want to up my fitness...which is better

Options
So I just got into working out in Sept and have been doing good. I do not have a gym membership (can't right now) so I do everything at home with my 7 month old.

Right now I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred 3-4 times a week, walk 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week, and have a 3 mile walk at home dvd for the yucky weather days.

I do a few challenges on here that actually have me doing more strength and I like it. So now I feel I want to give my work-out a little bump to the next level. I still have a lot of fat to burn off so I wanted to know which is better for me at this point of my journey....more strength training workout's or more cardio workout's?

Replies

• BenderFitness
    Options
    I prefer workouts that use both strength training and cardio. Interval type workouts give you all the fat burn and shaping at the same time. :) I only workout at home. I haven't worked out in a gym in a few years. If you need any ideas let me know, or send me a message.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well, both are good,
    I guess more cardio will help you lose weight faster
    Strength training will help you in the long run, because when you gain muscle will help you lose weight as well,
    But to burn fat faster, I will say Cardio!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Looks like you are doing great, but if you want to up it a little have you considered running instead of walking. I am assuming you have your little guy in the stroller with you, he (don't know if boy or girl sorry) will love it. You can even do interval training while out for your walk/run. Don't for get things like weighted lunges, planks, push ups...ect. But to up your cardio, try the interval running.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Cardio strength training. I have some examples of what I do on my blog here. I should really post some of it in the Body Weight Training group area. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing great, but if you want to up it a little have you considered running instead of walking. I am assuming you have your little guy in the stroller with you, he (don't know if boy or girl sorry) will love it. You can even do interval training while out for your walk/run. Don't for get things like weighted lunges, planks, push ups...ect. But to up your cardio, try the interval running.

Yes I have. Actually in the last 2 weeks I started jogging some. Like jog a street-walk a street and ended up jogging at least a mile of my 5 mile walk. Not to bad for me on my 1st try. Then last Saturday me, my 7 year old daughter, and baby (little boy lol) did a 5k and we walked/jogged that one too. I do want to work my way up to running more.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Cardio strength training. I have some examples of what I do on my blog here. I should really post some of it in the Body Weight Training group area. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner

Wow...I just looked at it. Love it! I don't have a pull-up bar but I can get one easy. I will print this out and try doing this a couple times a week. Thanks bunches.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope you like them as much when you do them.