late night snackage

Options
I tend to get super intense cravings at night, before bed, and I was wondering what you guys think.

I know it depends on each person's metabolism, but just in general, do you think that 300-ish calorie snack before bed will really harm my progress?

Replies

• mwohns23
    Options
    Hi there! In my opinion (and from experience), yes, it will definitely harm your progress if it's a daily thing, or even every other day. It will NOT harm your progress if it happens once and a while. However, I think it's generally a good rule to stick to eating foods higher in protein because they fill you up more and for longer periods of time. It's also a good idea to not eat late due to digestion. Snacking in general is an iffy subject. If you're going to snack, make smart choices. Hope this helps!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's not going to help. Try to stick to fruit or veggies. Don't put fat in your stomach just before you go to bed.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your caloric intake & exercise level was like for the rest of the day. Eat something high protein/high fiber. Fat free cottage cheese or 2 TBSP of natural peanut butter are good night time choices.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I doubt it as long as you're still at your daily calorie goal. I almost always have a pretty high calorie snack of nuts and cheese before bed. OK OK I'm a mouse, but that's my favorite snack. I don't buy off on the whole no eating before bedtime thing.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I like to budget anywhere from 200-500 calories for after-dinner snacks. I can't just sit around all evening not eating anything. So I go ahead and plan it into my day. I've lost 27 lbs snacking at night, it won't hurt your progress as long as you plan for it so it doesn't make you go over on your calories. :-)

P.S. My snacks regularly include any combination of the following: bananas, apples, yogurt (sometimes with fat free whipped cream on top), peanut butter, popcorn, cupcakes (yep), weight watchers ice cream bars (easier to keep track of the calories rather than scooping ice cream from a carton)..... Yeah that pretty much covers the repeat offenders. LOL As long as it is factored into your day and you are keeping close to your calorie goals and getting in good nutrition the rest of the day, it's not going to hurt you.
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    It takes 21 days to form a new habit. After dinner, brush your teeth and drink only water. If you feel like you are going to give in to the snack, just go to sleep instead of snacking.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I eat all the way up till bed time... as long as I don't go over my cals and I haven't had an issue!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    You burn calories 24 hours a day - you don't stop burning because you go to sleep.

There is nothing wrong with a snack late in the evening regardless if it is protein or not. As long as you are under for your daily totals. Almost every night I have a graham cracker, pudding and redi-whip (185 calories) and I have continued to lose.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's fine as long as you stay within your calorie goal. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    makes no difference when you eat if you maintain a consistent caloric deficit
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hear the same - it's fine as long as you keep within your calories. But if it leads to more snacking AND puts you out of control, then you have to wonder if it's worth it.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    I would suggest sticking to water or snacks full of water (like celery) immediately before bed. It also depends a lot on how long ago you ate and how long you are awake after snacking. If you already have plenty of glucose (from carbs/sugar/fat) in your body, than that midnight snack will be stored as fat, regardless of what is in it. be careful!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Everyone who replied saying it's a problem is wrong.

The only way it's a problem is if you go over your calorie target. If you're within calories, it doesn't matter what time(s) you eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest sticking to water or snacks full of water (like celery) immediately before bed. It also depends a lot on how long ago you ate and how long you are awake after snacking. If you already have plenty of glucose (from carbs/sugar/fat) in your body, than that midnight snack will be stored as fat, regardless of what is in it. be careful!

wait what? can you explain how one would get glucose from fat? and are you aware of when and under what conditions the process of de novo lipogenesis occurs?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Some real BS advice here :/ (edit: not your post Acg of course :)

As long as you are under your calorie goal you will be fine... I have heard that some people have difficulty falling asleep if they eat right before bed, but I am sure that this is the minority.

Many people suggest casien protein before bed as it is a slower uptake form of protein, but if you want solid foods rather than a suppliment, just eat :P
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

The only way it's a problem is if you go over your calorie target. If you're within calories, it doesn't matter what time(s) you eat.

^^^^ THIS!

ETA: I almost always eat at least 200 calories ( or more) within an hour or so of bed. I eat from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed and I am losing weight just fine. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit you WILL lose weight.
  • Hayesgang
    Options

I think so many "weight loss myths" are shoved down our throat that it's hard to believe you can lose weight on 2000 calories, that you can have pizza, dessert, carbs and you can eat before bed. I have learned soooooo much from this site and the people on it - I have literally thrown everything I know out the window. Before this site I had no clue what TDEE or BMR was.

I'm not saying it works for everyone but the advice I have been given and applied has made a huge difference in my life - The biggest YOU MUST EAT TO LOSE - that goes againest all my better judgement but it's working!!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

NOT This^^. If you have the room in your daily calorie budget, have the snack you are craving. Yes it's better to choose healthy things (fruit/veggies and high protein snacks), but again, if the calories are there and you really want something don't deny yourself. You don't totally stop burning calories as soon as you lie down to go to bed.