The Hcg Diet...

Options
Hi. Has anyone tried the Hcg diet?? If so does it really work? I have heard so many positives and negatives...

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea and it's basically a scam. There's no proof hcg itself does anything - any weight loss on that regime is due to the 500 cal restriction.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Curious - what are the positives? I have heard of most people gaining the weight back

Massive calorie deficit is what causes the weight loss <---- not healthy
  • alisharedden
    Options
    It does work... But it is so strict! I lost weight rapidly. Maybe about 35 pounds. But as soon as I got off of the drops I gained the weight back. I was dieting while this happened to. The diet also does not allow you to exercise. Which is not healthy!
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I'm about ready to invest in a miracle cure for my belly but I doubt there is one. If it works then let me know :wink:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MrsCon40/view/hcg-a-handy-reply-to-the-multitude-of-quick-fix-seekers-148860
    Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a hormone approved by the FDA for use in pre-pubertal boys to help aid normal sexual development, and in women to treat fertility problems. hCG is produced by the placenta and is also found in pregnant women’s urine. It is not approved for weight loss and has never been proven by credible peer reviewed science to cause weight loss.
  • servilia
    Options
    It does work... But it is so strict! I lost weight rapidly. Maybe about 35 pounds. But as soon as I got off of the drops I gained the weight back. I was dieting while this happened to. The diet also does not allow you to exercise. Which is not healthy!

I bet you stopped the 500 cal restriction at the same time you stopped the drops.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight and then gain it back. Please save your money!!
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds TERRIBLE!!!!! Food and exercise go hand in hand.... 500 cals?! I'd die!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    HCG protocol involves using a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet). This is only recommended for the morbidly obese, and is proven to not be effective long-term, as most gain the weight back (if not more).

Here's some info regrading Very Low Calorie Diets...

UCLA (http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32)

"A VLCD is primarily for severely or morbidly obese individuals who must lose or wish to lose large amounts of weight as rapidly as possible in a safe manner. "

National Institutes of Health (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)

"VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

"Use of VLCDs in patients with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical conditions due to overweight, such as high blood pressure."

"Many patients on a VLCD for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, or diarrhea. These conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent patients from completing the program. The most common serious side effect is gallstone formation. Gallstones, which often develop in people who are obese, especially women, are even more common during rapid weight loss. Research indicates that rapid weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder and decrease its ability to contract and expel bile. Some medicines can prevent gallstone formation during rapid weight loss. Your health care provider can determine if these medicines are appropriate for you"

"Studies show that the long-term results of VLCDs vary widely, but weight regain is common."

"In addition, VLCDs may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run. Studies have shown that following a diet of approximately 800 to 1,000 calories produces weight loss similar to that seen with VLCDs."

"For most people who are obese, their condition is long-term and requires a lifetime of attention even after formal weight-loss treatment ends. Therefore, health care providers should encourage patients who are obese to commit to permanent changes of healthier eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food"

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets)

"Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

"To be healthy, we need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's quite difficult to get good nutrition in as few as 800 calories (even a dietitian would have trouble doing this), especially if one eats the same foods day after day."

"Also, once you go off the diet, you will likely regain your weight unless you change your lifestyle and commit to healthy eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food. By sticking to a long-term commitment, you can prevent your weight from drifting back up the scale."
  • art2ya
    art2ya Posts: 10
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds last year with the HCG....I love the way it made me feel, but I loved being pregnant when I was younger also. If you had horrible pregnancies, I would not suggest it.

Then my father died and it was a rough year, I gained 25 back but am on the Hcg again and have lost 10....so, I am close...again!

Once the HCG is in your system, you NEVER feel hungry...so the 500 calorie regimen is not so hard. You cannot overloose....your body will not let you lose more than you have of stored fat....you will just quit losing on the HCG.

If, and that is a big IF you stay on the phase 3 for at least as long as you were on the diet, it stays off pretty well, and I was eating around 1800 to 2000 calories a day and kept it off for 3 months, like I said, until my father died....then of course my mind was not on it!

I really gets you off of the sugar and starch....!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Any diet at 500 calories for 40 days will cause weight loss. But what kind of weight loss? It will be lean muscle and fat, but more muscle than fat in % and that will play havoc with your RMR later. Scientifically proven.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Once the HCG is in your system, you NEVER feel hungry...so the 500 calorie regimen is not so hard. You cannot overloose....your body will not let you lose more than you have of stored fat....you will just quit losing on the HCG.

So pregnant women (who have loads of HCG in their systems) dont' ever feel hungry?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Hello All,

I have tried HCG and it does work I took the homopathic route though because I am afraid of needles. I lost weight but I gained it back not because of the drops because I didn't do what I was suppose to do/. I sruggle everyday because i am an emotional eater and I have become very lazy. I plan on getting back on it actually. It is strict but worth it. My aunt who is on here VJ150 has done and she looks great. you can see her pics Sbe was also able to get off some of her blood pressure meds NOW WAIT since there has been so much buzz about it compnies are making fake bathes etc.... they are selling it vvery expensive. my adive is AMAZON..GREEN WEB products. My aunt likes non alcholic but I don't. In additon to my aunt I know several people have done it and they look and feel great. I fellt great too after dropping 31 pounds but I let my head and emotiuons get the best of me. BTW it took me a year to gain it back.

If you want try it. You alwasy quit if you don't like BUT PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PROTOCL FIRST
  • Jorra
    Options

So pregnant women (who have loads of HCG in their systems) dont' ever feel hungry?

You've got a point there. HCG is a pregnancy hormone, and I think we all know what happens when you're pregnant.
    pregnant-pickle-ice-cream.jpg
  • servilia
    Options
    The homeopathic drops - you don't even know what's in them. I can sell water and call it hcg.
    As for doctors who do inject the real stuff for weight loss purposes, they're just taking advantage of their patients and should be reported.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I've heard it called the hungry crazy girl diet.... I'm guessing with being limited to only 500 calories a day, its pretty self explanatory. I can eat that few calories in one sitting, let alone one day. No thanks, I'd be gnawing off my own limbs. Eating right paired with a good, cardio-filled exercise will get you there, and you get to keep your muscles, too.
  • art2ya
    art2ya Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree that it is not for everyone, but I felt great on it, I too did the drops and not the shots. But yes, read Dr. Simieons entire book before ever embarking on it. It was developed in the 1960's and the Dr mad scads of money, when others got the formula it got cheaper and cheaper so that the average person could do it. I am glad they came out with the drops, shots have never appealed to me. I eat good food on the diet and continue when I am off of it, only more of it. I have such a taste for spinach and strawberries now....and apples...mmmm, that is my dessert!
  • nikkimee
    Options
    Hi all... I have been looking into the Hcg drops for some time now and I know there's a lot of negative feedback on them but really what harm can it do??.. If it doesn't work at least I know I tried..
  • Jorra
    Options
    Hi all... I have been looking into the Hcg drops for some time now and I know there's a lot of negative feedback on them but really what harm can it do??.. If it doesn't work at least I know I tried..

Losing muscle mass, permanently harming your metabolism, and undernourishment (which can lead to hospitalization or death)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

It can cause you to lose all muscle mass. That may not be a big deal to you, but its not something I would ever take a wager on myself. I also heard of someone in my gym who was on it and training and slipped into a coma. But, its your body, your life, your money, your decision, so best of luck, because it seems you've already made up your mind.