Hi I'm Jessica...

Options
and a friend of mine told me about this site. I've been struggling with my weight since 2005 after losing my brother who was only 31 years old and sinking into a deep depression. Thankfully, I have overcome that part, but now 85 lbs later, I would like to somehow combat this never ending battle and see how a site like this can help me with that.

I have used food as a crutch when depressed and I realize that even when I do it. I do believe there's a such thing as "comfort food" as cliche as that may sound. I'm hoping to gain support from other people going through a similar ordeal or from those who have been able to overcome their battle and lose the weight they have set out to lose.

One thing is for certain, I do not want to just lose weight. I want a lifestyle change. There are some things I know I need to cut out of my diet for good or if I do eat it, eat it in extreme moderation. I need help determining what some of these foods are.

Thanks for reading and I'm excited to be here. My friend has lost almost 15 lbs using Myfitness Pal and I'm hoping to be another success story. With hard work and perseverance, I believe anything is possible.

-Jessica

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!!! I lost 24.3 lbs before I joined MFP, and I have lost about 11 lbs more since I joined MFP -- NOT my best -- I gained some weight due to Thanksgiving, but I will get back there soon enough! :) Losing weight is tough but stick in there, you will eventually do it :)
  • weightlosswonderwoman
    Options
    I'm Jessica too!
    Comfort eating is the worst. It was what I did to survive an emotionally crippling relationship too, so (sorta) know where you're coming from.
    Good news though! All of your new friends on MFP (including myself, if you'd like) are here to help you stay positive and motivated!
    Good luck fellow Jessica :)
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I so know the pain you are going through. I suddenly lost my brother @ the age of 49, last year on my birthday, Nov 9th. I have struggled this whole year and my birthday will never be the same. He just collapsed at home. They found out he had a genetic heart condition that none of us knew about. I hurt my back a couple years ago and have put on weight from that, but this just kept me in a stand still mood. I am grateful of the support here. I know I am an emotional eater and yes there are comfort foods because to us its our drug of choice, instead of alcohol or drugs or shopping etc, we choose food. It is so easy to go to. I wish you well on your journey and look forward to helping each other. Please feel free to journal here, if you want about your feelings, your brother, as it does help to share our feelings and talk about them, I know my brother would want to see me healthy enlight of what they found. I feel so guilty right now at times when I overeat, thinking why am I doing this. I have found certain foods especially the simple carbs, like sugar, anything white, can make me feel very tired, depressed. I am trying to eat clean food, nothing processed if possible and I notice I feel so much better. Thank you for sharing, losing my brother has been the hardest thing ever for me. Take care and God Bless.
  • springfield5780
    Options
    I'm Jessica too! :) I wish you the best in your journey in changing your life! I too am looking for more than just weight loss I need a better lifestyle. Feel free to add me Jessica!