Just joined, live in non-healthy household

Options
Hi! My name is April.

My friend recommended this website, and I thought I'd give it a chance (at least for some emotional support). I live with my parents currently - due to the economical times - and am trying to eat decently healthy (at least).

As I write this, I smell the cookies my mother baked. Some encouragement and friends to help me tough this kind of thing out would be awesome. I'm trying to watch what I eat and both not over eat and not have lots of junk, but that's kinda tough living where I'm at now.

Also, just joined a gym nearby and I'm going to start going after work tomorrow.

^.~ Wish me luck.

~April~

Replies

• xhellokittycatx
    Options
    Hi April! Welcome to the board! I know that must be tough. The good thing is you joined a gym! That is great! Feel free to add me.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Some questions- are your parents healthy? If your mom likes to cook, could you maybe ask her to cook you some new foods (my mom never cooked)? You could maybe try east indian curry or first nations food (grilled salmon, bannock and wild rice) and some cookies can actually be healthy.

Could you get your own mini fridge for your room, or ask to have a shelf of your own to put your healthier foods? Maybe try to help your parents get into health food and a healthier life style and ask for their help (for instance, help your mom to help you learn how to cook a new dish or ask you father to talk your fishing or camping).

Welcome.
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am new too April. I am going to need some encouragement as well. My family tends to eat A LOT of sweets (which happens to be my weakness).
  • I completely understand. I don't get any support from home or my parents house. Whenever I go over there, there is nothing but junk food. It's not easy and sometimes I make it out alive and other times I don't.

Feel free to add me!
  • weightlosswonderwoman
    Options
    I've recently cut out sweets and soft drink from my diet!
    Did well for a couple of weeks then relapsed and ate 3 subway cookies...
    But you know what?
    It was a blessing!
    My body wasn't used to the sugar and it made me feel physically ill.
    The sugar cravings are bad for about a week and then you feel on top of the world!
    Trust me!
    Drinking heaps of water helps you keep the cravings in check (I drink 3L/day) as well as some kiss-*kitten* willpower!
    Everyone at MFP are here for you from start to finish....and trust me, you will DEFINITELY get to the finish line!
    Good luck xxx
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i donated my "crap" to fish and buy noting but veggies and some fruit and eat. try to avoid processed foods
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One thing to remember as a female you don't wanna eat less than 1200 calories a day, always burn more than you consume and low carb is key :wink:

What Ive done that works for me is lean meats (turkey, chicken, fish and pork) red meat and potatoes 2x a week, sodium 2400mg or less per day, fresh fruits and veggies, mainly green veggies, stay away from fast food, junk food and processed foods.

Tho its okay to treat yourself once in awhile just work it into your day and half what you would normally have and be sure to track EVERYTHING :smile:

I know it can be tough when those around you have bad habits and its hard to stick, trust me I KNOW

My hubby still has a bad habit of snacking which makes me wanna snack but it becomes mind over matter :bigsmile:

It takes time if you need a buddy to help keep you in check, let me know id be happy to help you meal plan and all that fun stuff too :happy:

I personally started after graduated at 135lbs in the yr 2000, then I gained 195lbs after I quit smoking everyone around me was bigger i never noticed all i noticed is I replaced food with the smoking habit, I finally got on track in March 2009 and then til October 2010 I lost a total of 156lbs then I gained some weight back with the stress of buying selling houses but now im back on track

we can do this! =)
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's a big deal to have a 'no fail' environment. But my husband & kids don't want to give up all their goodies just so I can lose weight. See if you can make a compromise. Ask for your parents help and support in cooking & eating healthier. And the things they won't give up (if they are one of your weaknesses)- ask them to keep them out of the common area. I have a bad thing for chips and especially honey bbq flavor. I allow us to keep plain chips in the house but anytime hubby wants cheetos, etc...he has to take them to work & keep them out of the house.
    Just a couple of suggestions- good luck!