Have you tried Bikram yoga?

Options
Hi! I'm interested in starting bikram yoga, but a little nervous I won't be able to keep up (or that I'll faint lol).
Has anyone tried it? And what do you think? Is it for beginners(I've only done a couple of classes of Ashtang)
What would you recommend if not Bikram? Thanks!!

Replies

• rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes Love it!!!!! Couple of classes will be difficult. First class you want to leave the room because its so hot and think to yourself why the heck you came. But don't give up it gets better and into the next 2 weeks u get use to the heat and ur postures get better.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    Bikram there are no beginners or advanced class evryone does the same posture. Do what you can do, takes people many years to go in deep in positions.

How's ashtanga? I have always wanted to try it. But thought it would be too difficult for me.
  • MissDiscipline
    Options
    Ashtanga was very difficult for me, but I'm not very flexible so it didn't come as a big surprise :) It is a great workout though!
  • rita27ny
    Options
    do they do chanting and mediation? Bikram yoga just goes into the postures.
  • MissDiscipline
    Options
    it's just synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures :) The pace is a bit quicker than the basic yoga I've done. But the results are a lot quicker too! :smile:
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I've started doing Bikram Yoga, it is brilliant!!! Would definitely recommend it :smile:

And the amount of calories burnt is amazing, for my weight I burn 800+ calories. See this link, scroll down to calcuate how many cals you burn depending on your weight:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm
  • MissDiscipline
    Options
    I've started doing Bikram Yoga, it is brilliant!!! Would definitely recommend it :smile:

And the amount of calories burnt is amazing, for my weight I burn 800+ calories. See this link, scroll down to calcuate how many cals you burn depending on your weight:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

Oh awesome! That totally got me motivated to start! Thanks!!