Running in the morning

Options
My wife and I went on vacation back during the week of October 17th and I knew that it was going to be a potential detriment to my routine since I would likely not want to work out in the evening.

I decided to get up early and go for a run every morning and I felt awesome for the rest of the day.

I've been getting up at 5-5:30 every morning since then to do a run and not only has it felt better to start off the day that way, I find that I get more free time in the evening since working out is no longer something that has to be manuvered into my schedule.

Has anyone else tried their workouts at early morning hours and seen a benefit?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yup! Wish my schedule still worked for the early AM workouts. By the time I was fully awake enough to protest working out, I'd already be out the door and halfway done.

Now that I work out in the afternoons I spend a lot more time procrastinating!!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do my runs in the am and love it! I have more energy for the day, I get the quiet time to myself and I also don't have to squeeze it into my already busy evening schedule. :)
    Great job keeping up your working out even on vacation! Kudos
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yep. It gives me less excuses to NOT run. But, now that it is getting colder, getting out of bed in the morning is getting harder and harder.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know that there is lots of data out there that says that people who work out in the morning are more successful at keeping their routine than those who do the "manuevering" thing. I can do that in the summer, but winter morning runs are just a bit too cold for me! I'm still looking for a solution here.
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    I've been doing my workouts in the morning for the past 4 years now. I absolutely love it! I have so much more energy thoughout the day. The biggest advantage for me is that I don't have my workout hanging over my head all day. I no longer have to squeeze my workouts in because it's the first thing i do to get my day started.
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Me! Me! Oh Me! Wake up about 5:45 go do my 30 ish minute run (week 7 of C25K started today) come home get the kids ready for school...I literally start my day off running and it feels great. Today, however, I wont run till the afternoon because I dont have gear for freezing temps, and it was freezing this morning here in Houston, blah. Its nice to start the day off with "me time" and know I did good for myself first thing!
    Denise
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to start working out in the morning....it ,means that I will have to get up at 6am, but I am finding the evenings to be too busy and I am constantly putting it off
  • missamielou
    Options
    :happy: Well done to you getting up so early

I also do my workouts first thing before work and I find that I get much more done through the day than if I have a rest day! I feel more motivated, awake and just good really!!

Working out in the morning as awesome!!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Oh yes, and if I could do it again I would! I body actually felt better more so in the AM after a workout than I do in the evening!
  • abigailV91
    abigailV91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! I don't go out at 5 in the morning because I stay up a little late sometimes but I go out for a run usually around 9am or 10. I agree about it making you feel great for the rest of the day. If you wait until later in the day you're feeling groggy and a little drained from the whole day's activities, but when you do your running first thing, it gives you twice as much energy than what you woke up with! Very exhilarating, I agree! :)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I think I am going to start working out in the morning....it ,means that I will have to get up at 6am, but I am finding the evenings to be too busy and I am constantly putting it off
    You are not alone, this happens to all of us, LOL.
  • XanderWiFi
    XanderWiFi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely. When I was in college we did our ROTC workouts early before class. Granted, I went to class exhausted many of those days but it was nice to know that the workout was finished for the day.

Other benefits to working out first thing in the morning is you are still in a fasting state. That means whatever calories you burn come straight off the belly since you have not put any fuel in your body yet. I wish I still had the discipline to get myself up, but without a workout partner or some obligation I cherish the sleep more.

But I see many get up at 0500-0530 to do their workout. I have to get up at that time to make it to work so it becomes a little more difficult.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Other benefits to working out first thing in the morning is you are still in a fasting state. That means whatever calories you burn come straight off the belly since you have not put any fuel in your body yet. difficult.

There are lots of reasons to get up and work out. However, this is NOT one of them. Besides even if it were. If your nutrition were not done properly your body would quickly put whatever you burned off, back on.