any suggestions for being away on the holidays

Options
I will be away from home and my routine for 3 days. The relatives I am staying with do not eat healthy and I just really do not want to go back to my old ways. I love eating healthy but I also dont want anyone to know I am dieting just because I am always on a diet it seems. Any suggestions on what to bring with me ? Most meals will probably be leftover brisket, mashed potatoes and rolls or going out to eat Mexican food or at Chilis. Any advice would really help!

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead what you will order at Chili's by looking at the nutritional info - some of their dishes have disturbing calorie counts, especially their salads.

There are usually some healthier options at Mexican restaurants too! Try tortilla soup with the cheese on the side so you can control how much to add. Fajitas are another good option, just don't overdo the condiments or tortillas. Stick to salsa and a small amount of guacamole (which is a very healthy fat).

If you are driving, bring some good stuff with you. Pack a cooler with a dozen hard boiled eggs and some lean lunch meats.

Feigning lactose or gluten intolerance can get you out of eating a lot of stuff without having to explain to anyone that you are watching what you eat.

I understand how hard it can be. My parents visited for a week and a half and despite the fact that they KNEW I was working my *kitten* off to loose weight, they brought the most insane stuff to my house. Bagels every day, McDonalds one day for lunch (like they seriously couldn't have eaten in and not stunk up my house?!) The worst was a package of Potato Knishes from Costco that they only ate like 1/3 of and then left the rest in my fridge. I need to convince myself that its okay to throw these away even though there are starving children in Africa, but its hard!
  • Brandib1985
    Brandib1985 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks!