Weights or Cardio first

Options
What do you think and why? Just trying to figure out the most efficient way to structure my workouts :smile:

Replies

• iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    weight always first.

You get an afterburn from weights for up to 48 hours. This is the best time to cardio.

Plus the acid that releases when weight training can get cleared faster by doing cardio after. In fact I don't think you'll find any credible sources that suggest different.
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've always been told cardio first. That way your muscles are getting plenty of blood to them and can work more efficiently.

Edit: by cardio first I mean a light cardio. Like jumping jacks after your stretches, or 10 mins on the treadmill.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    typically weights first for a couple reasons
    1. It is hard to keep proper form on weights if tired from cardio (improper form can lead to injury)
    2. you will not lift as much or as many reps as well (if you lift less than your muscles are capable of your progress will be much slower)
    3. you burn some of your glycogen stores during the strength training so when you get on the cardio you are burning fat for a longer portion of your cardio then if you did it first.

But, if your goal is to run a marathon, or a certain race, it is best to train for that first. So if you have a 10K coming up I would do cardio first followed by weights, but if you are not training for anything in particular then weights first.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've always been told cardio first. That way your muscles are getting plenty of blood to them and can work more efficiently.

This is usually pushed as a warm up 5-10 minutes, then weights, then if you want to cardio after that.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Pick one and do it to your fullest. After a good strength training there is no way my muscles could physically handle any sort of cardio workout. Forcing yourself to do so, actually will hinder your body from a full recovery.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    weights first allways,

my reasons
    you want to be 100% for weights, you don't want a injury
    you don't want to be all sweaty from cardio on the weight floor
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

This is usually pushed as a warm up 5-10 minutes, then weights, then if you want to cardio after that.

This is what I have also read from several different sources. I always just alternate days, weights three times a week, with different muscle groups each day, with a hard cardio day in between.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    cardio warm up, 5-10 minutes, the weights, then cardio.
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i do cardio frist to lose the fat then i will do weights to tone up but if u do to much weights u will end up toning muscle under the fat
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options

This is true. But not your entire cardio.

A work up is like 5-10 minutes walking, light jog.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    While you'll get blood to them, you'll also be using glycogen which is more IMPORTANT for weight lifting than cardio. Lack of sufficient energy for weight lifting will usually break muscle down into amino acids for energy. That means losing lean muscle and lower resting metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. Do you want to lose fat? Cardio first. Do you want to gain muscle? Strength first. Whatever you want to get the most out of during your workout, do first.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    typically weights first for a couple reasons
    1. It is hard to keep proper form on weights if tired from cardio (improper form can lead to injury)
    2. you will not lift as much or as many reps as well (if you lift less than your muscles are capable of your progress will be much slower)
    3. you burn some of your glycogen stores during the strength training so when you get on the cardio you are burning fat for a longer portion of your cardio then if you did it first.

But, if your goal is to run a marathon, or a certain race, it is best to train for that first. So if you have a 10K coming up I would do cardio first followed by weights, but if you are not training for anything in particular then weights first.

^ this!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What do you think and why? Just trying to figure out the most efficient way to structure my workouts :smile:

A trainer friend (who is one of the few trainers I've met who actually seems to know what he's talking about and is up on the most recent research) says weights first.

I do it in whichever order I need to based on time constraints.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I was told to do weight first (to build the muscle) then cardio (to burn it off)....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i do cardio frist to lose the fat then i will do weights to tone up but if u do to much weights u will end up toning muscle under the fat
    Cardio first doesn't "lose the fat", it burns through glycogen first. And there's nothing wrong with "toning up" the muscle under the fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. Do you want to lose fat? Cardio first. Do you want to gain muscle? Strength first. Whatever you want to get the most out of during your workout, do first.
    Can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. And you lose more fat with a higher RMR which weight lifting will raise where steady state cardio doesn't.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you have goals other than weight loss, do what you're training for first while your muscles are fresh. For example, I'm training for a running race, so I'd do my run first and if I wanted to do both in the same session I'd do weights afterwards. If you're trying to build muscle, list first and lift heavy. If you don't want to compromise the quality of either, keep them in separate sessions so you can do both to your best capability.
  • twidiker
    Options
    Weights then cardio. Just like 90% of the replies said. Plus, the cardio (aerobic exercise) will burn the lactic acid (which causes muscle soreness) that you created from doing the weight training (anaerobic exercise.) I was in the best shape of my life when my schedule allowed me the time to stack the two...lift for an hour and then do cardio for 30-45 minutes. You will get ripped!
  • Cardio, cardio, cardio! Even if its just a 5-10 minute warm up jog. Cardio warms up your muscles and makes them more plyable/looser for strength training. Having loose muscles help prevent injury from heavy weight lifting.