Interval training Walking/Running

Options
I am starting to increase my workout from a fast walk to interval walking and running. I am not sure how to go about calculating the calories burned. Any suggestions.

Replies

• Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I would maybe try to go from 5min walking warm up.
    1 min of fast walk
    1 min of jogging
    1 min of fast walk
    1 min of jogging
    And so on......I started doing it for 20 mins and bulit it up a little each time. Good luck or you could google C25K and use their training programme. Goood luck with it x
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I run/walk. I run for a mile, then walk for about .10 mile. Overall, I will have a pace that encompasses both speeds. That would determine the calorie count. For example, I might run at 5.5 mph, but, with the walking factored in, it is down to 6.0 mph. That is what I use to determine the calores. MFP has a running at 12 minute mile pace. I also use a Garmin watch to calculate calories based on distance, and the MFP tally is very close.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do you know your distance? I think the avg. calorie burn is around 100 calories per mile whether it's walking or running.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    A four minute Tabata interval like you describe typically uses 35 calories (give or take depending on your unique stats.) BUT --- and here's the exciting part --- it continues to burn calories for up to 10 to 24 hours! So, you can't really gauge how many you burn. Fact is, it's not important. What's important is that you're speeding up your metabolism and doing something good for yourself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I used MFP's 5.0 MPH (12 minute mile pace) for awhile when I first started run/walk intervals, as that was my average pace, and it was fairly close for a calorie burn. I now use a heart rate monitor. Not only does it give me a more accurate calorie burn, but it allows me to monitor my heart rate while I'm out there.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with averaging for now. My route is about 1.5 miles. A good walking pace for me is 3-3.5 mph. I'm only 5'1", so anything faster than that is a slow jog or power walk. According to the elliptical, I run about at about 8 mph, but I can't go that fast on pavement - probably only about 6 mph. I'm alternating running and walking in .15 mile increments. That gets me 1.5 miles in about 20 minutes. that would have me averaging about 4.5 miles per hour. I think for that's close enough for now. I will probably get a monitor in the future. But it's not in the budget this month.