Learning about Strength Training

Hi, I hope someone patient can help a noob out here.

I've been losing weight fairly consistently for the last year and a half and I just want to see what exactly constitutes "Strength Training".

I realise that I'm not working as hard as some in that area as I have no Gym membership and I'm not using weights all the time, but, I do do about 30 minutes of what I suppose is called callisthenics when I do a DVD workout, using 1kg and 2kg weights when I do them.

This includes push-ups, sit ups, bicep and tricep curls, squats, lunges and so on.

I've recently taken up swimming and wondered if this also counted as strength training?

I intend to do more work (while increasing my calorie intake) as I reach my weight-loss goal in order try to build up my lean muscle mass and tighten up what I have.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to if what I'm doing (if I keep up the intensity and increase the weight as I progress) would be enough to reach that goal, or do I need to have access to a gyms machines and free weights in order to achieve this?

I really appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer, thank you!

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    push-ups, sit ups, bicep and tricep curls, squats, lunges...

These are all examples of strength training - you are using body weight instead of a barbell. As it gets easier, you may want to consider adding hand weights or a barbell to increase the challenge.

Swimming is not generally considered strength training because it is not a weight bearing exercise. But, it is zero impact cardio that is fantastic for your body, so enjoy it.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    It seems like you are doing good work, and you have made impressive progress keep up the good work. Some tips (I am not personal trainer or anything, but I was subjected to 16 years of strength and conditioning coaching), don't neglect upping the reps of your workout, not just the weights, if your main goal is to tone and not to grow. Also swimming is great, but if you want a more strength focused pool workout try running in the pool. Sprinting in chest deep water will hit every muscle in your body at once with both positive and negative resistance. Keep up the good work!
  • lilbitfit3
    lilbitfit3 Posts: 4 Member
    I recommend purchasing this book:
    http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=413&action=show_detail
    and watching the many online videos about form to begin strength training.

My partner and I have been running/swimming with a light weight workout (10/20 lb dumbells) along with situps/pushups for a few years now. While he wants to bulk up and I want to slim down - the workout before only got us to a point - we were stronger, but still not there yet.

We've only been following the Starting Strength workout plan for little over a month now, but we are starting to feel results. While my scale is telling me I haven't lost weight, I can see that I am gaining much more muscle and am finally starting to loose my belly fat. We do 5 main workouts: press, bench press, squats, deadlift and powercleans with barbels. While it seems intimidating (I'm a small woman) its pretty empowering, and more fulfilling than running 4 miles like I used to.

I feel like strength training doesn't get enough attention for weight loss plans. I think a proper strength training program with swimming would be the way to go. Investing in a gym membership where they have a good weight training room and a pool would be worth it.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Thank you all very much!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    So here is my understanding of this "toning" concept. Often times people say they just want to tone and not build muscle. However, the "tone" look people - especially women - speak of so much is achieved by the following:

1. Building up muscle
    2. Having a very low amount of fat covering the muscle so it is visible.

I'm not an expert, and am new to strength training myself. This is simply from what I've read, what my coaches have told me, and what I've gathered from asking those in my gym with that "toned" look/awesome bodies what they do.

Simply getting a very low body fat amount will not make you look toned - it will make you look like a runway model (at the extreme). The women (or men) you see that are toned look that way because they have built up muscle AND have a low amount of fat covering their body.

Yes - lunges and push ups sit ups and all of that certainly are forms of strength training. Just don't be afraid to build up and lift heavy either. Speaking anecdotally, I am seeing far more results from pushing myself with heavy weights in squats, deadlifts, should presses, etc. than I ever saw from sticking to the 8lbs weight and doing curls for many reps on end. I'm working on back squatting my body weight, dead lifting 150% of my body weight, and shoulder pressing 110% of my body weight as we speak! Again, not an expert - but just speaking my experience. I do body weight strength training as well - I certainly do not mean to discount it!

These aren't scholarly works or peer reviewed stuff, but if you're interested in some reading, these may be places to check out:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/