To eat... Or not to eat...?

Options
Ok, for those of us who are just starting out (and maybe those who have lost 50-60+ pounds and can provide a voice of experience), do you eat back all your exercise calories? My food cal goal is 1280, and I do good to eat all of those, and the weight is coming off (don't look at my ticker - it's after Thanksgiving for goodness sake!). But if I have an extra 100-200 cals laying around from whatever exercise I did that day, I feel like I'm taking a step backward by eating them back! What do you do?

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you're taking MFP's word for the calories burned, I say eat half of them back. If you're using an HRM, eat all of them back. You'll do well to stay on track with your goals if you eat more rather than less.
  • tommys
    tommys Posts: 61
    Options
    I eat most of them back but usually have a few left over but all days don't go as planned! Some days I go over especially if I do not get a burn in. Eat almost all of them back! :-) By the way I have a Polar FT40!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    :happy: You will get A LOT of different answers on this, it's all very personal. I rarely eat my exercise calories back (I've lost over 50)...You might do a search of the topics, I know this has been addressed many times...
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking on getting a HRM, but I don't have a lot of money to spend... Suggestions?
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    i eat all of my exercise calories. I like to think that I exercise so I can eat more :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories (although I significantly reduce what MFP calculates). It's worked for me as I've lost about 60 pounds.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I've been thinking on getting a HRM, but I don't have a lot of money to spend... Suggestions?
    eBay....
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont normally eat mine back. Some days I will eat some of them though. I think this varies from person to person and you will see lots of different answers.
  • skinnyjweb
    Options
    Eat your calories with highly nutritional non-processed food. Almonds, carrots even pop-corn. That way you are getting the nutrition. you will feel satisfied.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and some times treat my self. I eat back some or all if I am hungery, I allways try to dip into them as I had my weight loss stall when I ate none of them. That beinig said you will get 3 answers, eat them, don't eat them, eat some of them. I think every one is different and some need to eat them, some don't. I think its best to listen to your body. Also use them for a treat from time to time it should be a life style change not a diet so live that way. Best of luck to you.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I eat about half of mine back and then have a splurge day once a week. I usually finish the entire week about 500-1,000 below goal.

I have a Polar FT7 that I got from Amazon - was about $65 and I LOVE it! I can't imagine working out without it now!
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It depends how I feel. If I feel extremely hungry, I will eat back to the point of being satified, but I don't make it a point to consume every calorie back. I am down 35 since Sept 15th.
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    polar
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was eating back almost all of my exercise calories before I got my HRM (Polar FT7.....Amazon $80 including shipping) and I still do now. I usually leave about 100 calories because I do taste during cooking or use a glop of BBQ sauce but not a full serving, etc.) But I noticed I lost weight more consistently when I eat them back.

The way I understand MFP to be set up is that the calories that they are giving you is already a deficit to lose the desired pounds per week. When you exercise you are burning even more than the already alloted deficit and in some people that puts you too low in the calories you will be eating (like under 1000) and that COULD slow down weight loss. I'm not a nutritionist and I don't have those degrees but if you aren't eating enough you body won't let you lose the extra for fear there won't be food around.

Plus I like to eat my calories back and that's usually how I get a little dessert!!!! hehehe
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    eBay....

If you get it from Ebay keep in mind it is used which is ok. But make sure your going to get all the parts, Reciver, Transmiter, and Chest Strap. I have heard multiple times that people don't get the chest strap (an expensive part) If you go to heartratemonitorsusa.com they have a bunch, and from my resurch the best prices for new. you will need a meaurement when ordering from them from just below the breast area for the chest strap an added feature for this site many just send the most popular size and if it works for you great if not you need to order the corect size again it is an expensive part of the system. I have heard that if you enter coupon code POLAR when oredeing a polar hrm you get a discount. I love my polar ft7 the ft4 is also good but for a few extra bucks you get some more features.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    But if I have an extra 100-200 cals laying around from whatever exercise I did that day, I feel like I'm taking a step backward by eating them back!

You aren't taking a step backwards. As long as your NET (calories eaten minus calories burned) remain at that number MFP has suggested for you (I think you said 1240), you are on the right track.
    To lose weight, you want to create a moderate deficit of calories, whether that is eating less, exercising more, or a combination of both. It doesn't really matter how you figure it.
    MFP is set up to create a deficit without ever having to work out. If you just eat their number, you will lose weight. Other ways to figure out calorie intake will account for your base rate, activity level and how much you anticipate you will work out, then create a modest deficit. If you do it that way, yes you would be taking a step back if you were eating the exercise calories back as they were already figured into the equation. MFP does not.
    Now, I agree that MFP values can be off a little. I dont' eat all of mine back, except the ones I know for a fact are accurate for me. For example, my running deficits are pretty accurate. My biking ones can a little high.

Right now, I am not really following MFP, I have a trainer for a fitness competition who is doing my diet and exercise program. I still track on MFP anyway, cause I am obsessive. Anyway, when I signed up for MFP and choose 1 lb a week weight lost, it suggested I eat around 1450 calories (can't quite remember). My trainer right now has me on an 1800 calories per day diet with 5 days a week workouts. When I plug in what I eat, and my exercise, my average net intake is at 1450. So it is the same thing as following MFP guide and eating back my calories, she just figured it a different way. Know what I mean? If I was following MFP, eating 1450 calories and not eating back my exercise calories, I would end up with a net of only 900-1000 calories on many days, which is too low.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back (all or almost all). I'm steadily losing. I eat 1400 calories on non-exercise days; on exercise days I usually have around 1800-1850 available that I can eat.

Keep in mind, when they say 1280 calories, that's assuming no exercise of any kind. If you exercise, you need to fuel your body with extra fuel for that exercise.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back and have since the day I started on MFP. Heck, there are days that I eat them back and then some! lol! I'm down about 110 lbs overall and nearly half of that is MFP weight loss. As others have mentioned, the calorie goal that MFP set for you is one that will allow you to lose the weight per week that you want even if you don't exercise. MFP adds exercise calories and intends for you to eat them because you need to fuel your workouts.

As for the HRM question...I don't always use mine and just allow for the MFP numbers and still eat back my exercise calories. I'm still losing at a steady rate.

Hope that helps!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    eBay....

If you get it from Ebay keep in mind it is used which is ok. But make sure your going to get all the parts, Reciver, Transmiter, and Chest Strap. I have heard multiple times that people don't get the chest strap (an expensive part) If you go to heartratemonitorsusa.com they have a bunch, and from my resurch the best prices for new. you will need a meaurement when ordering from them from just below the breast area for the chest strap an added feature for this site many just send the most popular size and if it works for you great if not you need to order the corect size again it is an expensive part of the system. I have heard that if you enter coupon code POLAR when oredeing a polar hrm you get a discount. I love my polar ft7 the ft4 is also good but for a few extra bucks you get some more features.
    Not all are used, several are new ....refine your search.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    i just ordered the pt60...how you like your polar hrm..they had great deals on them online