FitBit?

Options
Anyone use fitbit? I was looking into the UP but it is only available to iPhone users right now and I like my Droid. If you use it, do you like it love it/ hate it? Worth the $100?

Replies

• jenfactor
    Options
    I am getting one for Christmas...hope it's good! If you search the message boards for "fitbit" a lot of older posts come up. It sounded like they were working on a way to sync MFP and Fitbit.
  • whitney_elyse
    whitney_elyse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the FitBit myself but I'm in a master's program in psychology and one of my colleagues has been conducting a study using the FitBit and they've had really great results. They use it as part of a contingency-management exercise plan and increase the amount of exercise required for the goal each week and it sounds like the participants really enjoy the feedback you get on the website (e.g., graphs, visual tracking of your energy output) and that the study has had a lot of successful results. I plan to get a FitBit myself! Gotta love real data-based evals of the product! :)
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I looked at this online last week and it does look really interesting. I was thinking of getting it for Christmas as well. I have an Iphone so it sounds like a good thing to go with.
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for over a year now. This is how it works: On the Fitbit website you enter your weight and age and height and it "guesstimates" your calorie burn for each activity based on your steps. The fitbit I have (the older one) tracks steps, miles traveled (after you enter your stride length), and calories burned. If I dont put my fitbit on in the morning it will still show calories burned just based on my BMR. And on things like the elliptical it is not as accurate because the steps are faster and maybe the stride is not my normal stride length. I love mine but it is not a HRM and does not accurately calculate your calorie burn for each activity. The newer fitbits that just came out I think also now calculate your altitude and the number of stairs you climb based on the changes. :) The fitbit does track sleep. And on their website (which is similar to MFP) you can track your calorie intake and see charts showing your intake vs. burned. And for $99 it was the best choice for me. You can manually go in and change activites that are tracked or if you forget to wear the fitbit for certain activities. For instance this morning I did 2.6 miles on the elliptical but my fitbit said based on my steps that I had done 1.8 miles. If the fitbit did monitor heart rate and therefore, calculate accurate calorie burn it would be perfect! :)
  • sbehe
    sbehe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am very visual and I think it will help. My Apple friend was one of the first to get the UP and I thought it would be awesome, but not sure how long into the future it is away from Android app. Might just ahve to ask for the Fitbit from Santa.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I actually have the Up wristband and after only three days, it has stopped tracking activity. I'm now trying to decide whether to get a full refund or exchange it for a Fitbit Ultra. There have been a lot of people who are on their third and fourth wristbands already. It's not a great product...
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a fitbit this evening and I'm so excited waitinbg for it to arrive. Before I ordered it I did quite a bit of research and one thing that came up was that UP was not great. People were sending them back a lot and ordering fitbits instead.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My son just got me UP for Christmas, lol he gave it to me early because he couldn't wait... I'm super excited to try it!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I opted not to get one based on some reviews I read basically saying that it was a glorified pedometer.
  • clannum
    clannum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Worth every penny...best exercise device I have ever owned by far.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I got my fitbit and started using it. It really does motivate you to up your activity. the best part was logging my sleep! OMG! Very scary. I was in bed for 7 1/2 hours and slept for 3 1/2. Perhaps I should start using my cpap again. I actually logged 182 steps all night. That was probably just kicking. Hard to keep a man when you are kicking him out of bed every night! LOL
  • sbehe
    sbehe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I am hoping Santa leaves one under the tree.