treadmills vs Ellipticals

So for all you MFP who use in house exercise equipment. I have a hard time finding time to exercise outdoors so I was thinking of purchasing a machine for home. Which would you say is best....a treadmill or an elliptical machine (I know outdoor is best and I get some walking outside but I want to do more). Also what are some good durable brands from your personal experiences??? I really appreciate your answers!

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    They say ellipictals are less streneous on your joints. But if you are only walking, there's probably no diff. I bet the ellitpicals are more expensive
  • when you jog, every time a foot lands there is three times your body weight landing on each joint-ankle, knee and hip. That's why I use the elliptical.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Elliptical!!!
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    They say ellipictals are less streneous on your joints. But if you are only walking, there's probably no diff. I bet the ellitpicals are more expensive

I was looking into buying a used machine so I think the most expensive one I saw was $200....There are so many brands out there though. There is Norditrack, pro form, weslo and so forth. I have no idea which is best! Ans yes I would probably be doing walking which is why I was inclining toward the treadmill so that I can use the max incline setting on it!
  • The elliptical has been amazing for me and I highly recommend putting your money towards that!!
  • Just bought the Davina elliptical, hard work but great for indoor work outs.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    I have a treadmill and that seems to be just fine for the fast walk I like to do. It wasn't that expensive either. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    it depends on what you want, like others have said, ellipticals are easier on the joints...I have both and I can get a better workout, faster, more burn on the treadmill. Both are ProForm (as is my spin bike) I've had the elliptical for about 6 years and the treadmill for about 8 with no problems. At the time I purchased them however they were the top of the line, you get what you pay for I believe!
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    When i first started working with trainers at the gym, more than one told me that they would like to throw out all of the ellipticals. According to them, they do not give as good of a workout as any of the other cardio equipment. Of course, if it was up to them, the only cardio equipment that would be in the gym is the stairmasters. I think, though, if the decision is between an elliptical and a treadmill, I would go with the treadmill. Get a good one, though, that you feel comfortable using inclines and running on. You will be able to do more varied workouts on it than an elliptical, too.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    I use both at the gym. What I have observed is that I burn more calories running on the treadmill. The elliptical is easier on the joints.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    I have an elliptical at home and I use a treadmill at the gym for running when its too wet outside. I get a good workout from both. Do your research before you buy an elliptical because there are some pretty awful ones out there....you really do get what you pay for. They take a lot of abuse, so you want a good quality machine so that it will last and not be squeaky and unstable. We have a Freemotion that we bought at Costco and I love it. We have had it for over a year and not a single problem, squeak, or wiggle. I did a lot of research before we bought it because it was pretty pricey (around $700 if I remember correctly...maybe less).

I have also used lots of treadmills and I stay away from the smaller ones because they shake so bad when I run on them (I'm not a huge person). Make sure you try before you buy and make sure it is comfortable and will meet your needs.
  • raqufern
    THANKS!!!! You guys are really helping make my decision easier! By the way keep up the amazing work you are all doing! I have about 15 more pounds to reach my goal and was hoping to get them pound gone by the end of january! So I will definitely take all your advice into consideration!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    I had hip reconstruction about 5 years ago, and I received two lifetime restrictions if I want to avoid a full replacement. No yoga which makes sense to me, but what shocked me was a lifetime ban on treadmill use. Apparently the motion of running on a treadmill is just unnatural enough that it increases wear on the connective tissue (labram) in the hip. My surgeon (who did Rod Smith, and I had "the rod smith surgery at Steadman Hawkins in Vail CO) said it would be better to run on pavement than on a treadmill. Might just be because of my injury, but something to think about.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I've had both and liked both equally. The eliptical has the advantage of working the arms too, but the treadmill has more speed options. I have no idea what brands I owned or even what brand eliptical I currently have (not at home right now).
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    The one that is best is the one you will use. So many people buy treadmills that end up collecting dust because they just aren't the type of people who will run a lot, if at all. If you go to the gym and use the treadmill more than the elliptical then get that but make sure whatever you get is something that will actually be of use to you.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    The one that is best is the one you will use. So many people buy treadmills that end up collecting dust because they just aren't the type of people who will run a lot, if at all. If you go to the gym and use the treadmill more than the elliptical then get that but make sure whatever you get is something that will actually be of use to you.

^^Totally what she said. My bf came with a treadmill, but neither of us actually use it much. When I go to the gym, I almost always use the elliptical. I just bought my bf a gym membership. Guess what he uses? A stationary bike! No treadmills for either of us, lol. No wonder the thing barely gets used at home.
  • raqufern

^^Totally what she said. My bf came with a treadmill, but neither of us actually use it much. When I go to the gym, I almost always use the elliptical. I just bought my bf a gym membership. Guess what he uses? A stationary bike! No treadmills for either of us, lol. No wonder the thing barely gets used at home.

Girls this is really something to thinkn about! It makes complete sense!