More moody with weight loss?

Options
This is just something I've been noticing. As I lose weight I getting more moody and emotional about stuff. I used to be very even emotionally, I didn't even get PMS. Now everything sets me off. It's like my emotions are at PMS levels at all times.
My nutrition professor was talking about sterols (like cholesterol) and their role in estrogen. Estrogen is stored in your fat and when you lose fat, it is released into the blood stream. I was wondering if that's why my emotions are so out of whack.
Anyone else notice something similar?

Replies

• eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating better and lwoered my calories, I noticed I was soo moody /grumpy/irritable. But after my body got sued to it, things got back to normal..
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I notice I have good days and bad days. Some days I am the B$#^@$ from your nightmares and other days I am so annoyingly chipper. I can't explain it. But I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, mainly inches. So, I hope you find something to explain it so I know too! :)
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    it makes sense, after I had my hysterectomy my dr told me I didn't need hormones yet since I was so overweight, that I had plenty stored. I still have a long way to go so I still don't feel as if I need any replacements yet.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! OMG, I thought I was going crazy!! I actually had my Dr give me meds for anxiety. I get soooo moody, and every once and a while start to feel like I'm having a panic attack. I felt normal before the weight loss, and now, I'm super moody...all the time.... SO glad to see i'm not alone!
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    OMG, I thought it was just me.. I blew up this morning at my 13yr old because he left scissors on the counter.. Now thinking back to it I feel horrible. My husband even said I seem grumpy lately. I hope it gets better as I stick to this because I hate feeling bad for yelling at my son.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Excessive calorie restriction can cause depression/anxiety. Just one of the many reasons for a more conservative approach to dieting.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I'm moody. Probably because I want chocolate. I also want a huge bag of Doritos. But I can't have either... only just a taste. I also used to bury my problems in food, and now I suddenly have to face them head on and deal with them. Moody is alright, as long as you don't take it out on the people around you. xox
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    hmmm. this gives me pause. but i haven't been doing excessive calorie restriction. i'm eating well and exercising. i think it's that damn b*tch aunt flow. she made me EVIL the other day. very uncharacterstic of me. and i'm cramping right now. can't wait to escape this hellhole! <--my desk.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think that is very possible.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i'm just as moody as before
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is just something I've been noticing. As I lose weight I getting more moody and emotional about stuff. I used to be very even emotionally, I didn't even get PMS. Now everything sets me off. It's like my emotions are at PMS levels at all times.
    My nutrition professor was talking about sterols (like cholesterol) and their role in estrogen. Estrogen is stored in your fat and when you lose fat, it is released into the blood stream. I was wondering if that's why my emotions are so out of whack.
    Anyone else notice something similar?

This totally!!! Poor hubby has to deal with the brunt of it all too! That totally makes sense to me though I was never this moody before!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    i'm just as moody as before

haha me too!!!!
  • Kylea51
    Options
    funny-- you would think that losing weight would make you all happy and all!! Me? wonder if i will notice the difference when i start to lose, im moody all the time anyway. :huh:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You hungry all the time? Hunger = cranky
  • Liquid741
    Options
    my labido is ridiculous...really the only thing that has changed with me mood wise! oh and im a lot happier!
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    Are you working out? I have suffered from depression/anxiety my whole life and PMS since I hit puberty (what a joy, right?!). Now that I have finally started working out on a regular basis, I find that my moods are more stable and I'm able to handle stress better!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Estrogen is stored in excess body fat. Burning fat releases the hormone into your bloodstream. Cue hormonal madness!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I get moody when I'm hungry.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I work out regularly and am not excessive in my calorie restrictions. Some of it may be from feeling hungry, I definitely can tell a difference when I am, but this is just a general thing. It's not even related to TOM. (That makes it extra fun, because you NEVER know when it will strike :devil:)