Options
2»

Replies

• carlosdon
    Options
    just with suggestions help and guidance from my previous post
  • carlosdon
    Options
    well i'm just glad you got that protein nailed...

This ^^ Perhaps you could share how you nailed the protein intake.

just with suggestions help and guidance from my previous post
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Avoid iron unless you have a doctor confirmed deficiency. Iron is very detrimentasl to a man's body. Any iron you need you can get from green leafy vegetables.

WHAT??

Iron is necessary to make hemoglobin, the substance that carries oxygen through your blood to all the cells in your body. Hemoglobin is what makes red blood cells red. With insufficient iron, and therefore not enough hemoglobin, red blood cells become small and pale and don't carry enough oxygen.

Men don't need to carry oxygen to their cells??
    Men don't purge it from the bodies like women do. It is fairly easy for a man to get what is basically iron poisoning. My cousin got it and he still has to go to the doctor to basically have a bunch of blood taken out of his body to reduce his iron levels. Almost never happens for women though.

The most common genetic disease in people with northern european heritage is haemochromatosis - a condition where the body is unable to eliminate excess iron. It is thought that this conferred a survival advantage in pre-civilisation and indeed pre-late 20th century times when diets were less sufficient in calories, macro and micronutrients. Therefore, what we now consider a disease became relatively common in this population. In particular, being able to retain iron would have improved the fertility of women and their ability to survive childbirth.

So keep in mind that your heritage influences your ability to absorb iron, and if you are a male of northern european heritage, then you should be careful about eating too much iron. My sister has been told by doctors that she may have one gene for haemochromatosis, her iron levels are elevated - but she struggles with anaemia because she can't absorb vitamin B12 from her gut, and has to have injections of B12 to avoid pernicious anaemia.