Fiber

Options
Is Fiber a terrible thing to go over on?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Nope. MFP defaults to a low number (same with protein). I aim to "go in the red" in fiber and protein every day.
  • nina4w
    nina4w Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nope. MFP defaults to a low number (same with protein). I aim to "go in the red" in fiber and protein every day.
    Oh good! I didn't think it was but I thought I would ask.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Fiber just helps to keep you full. Unless you're having stomach problems because of it, more fiber is great
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I agree. the MFP default for fiber is really kind of low. I went over by a lot every day. I recently changed my goals to reflect a high fiber. You don't have to do that but I would say that if someone isn't hitting the MFP number that they seriously need to up their fiber intake. Fiber is critical for intestinal health which, yes, can affect weight loss. Good intestinal health will lead to better nutrient absorption which leads to better health and more energy.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Be careful not to get too much though. It can hinder the absorption of micronutrients.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The 25 g goal is based on the ADA's value for a 2000 calorie diet and is considered a minimum value. Fiber does not just fill you up; there are also many studies showing adequate dietary fiber lowers cholesterol and cancer risk, and it's helpful with a lot of gastrointestinal disorders. I'd be doubtful that you'd realistically have issues with eating too much fiber, but just use common sense and drink a lot of water to flush it through your system.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think in order for you to actually get to the level where it hinders you is like 60+ grams. But I have seen a few people on here eating so many fiber one products, low carb - high fiber filled products that they get into the 70-90 range before.

From natural sources the risk is so low. Just a warning ya know:flowerforyou:
  • Lsayne
    Options
    We are supposed to have a min of 30 gram per day...I seem to remember that from something...Dr. maybe?
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you google it, you'll find that most websites recommend getting 30-35 grams a day. I researched it after a doctor visit a couple weeks ago, because I was told I wasn't getting enough.

However, my doctor warned me that when you increase your fiber, you really have to make sure you are drinking enough water. If you don't get enough water, you can get even more backed up from the fiber.

I think it's pretty hard to get too much fiber though. I think if you get more than 50 grams a day, you might need to slow down, but that's a lot.