Increasing calories? fast loss, lightheadness, input?

Options
I had a session with my trainer today and ended up very lightheaded and had to sit down for a few minutes - this happened to me a few times last week also. This came after my trainer and I were discussing increasing my calories after the first of the year to slow down weight loss a bit and also focus on feeding my workouts. Not sure how much the lightheaded feeling is related to diet or if it's something else (I had an apple and almonds about half an hour before our session).

So anyway, my trainer suggested that I might want to increase my calories to 1700 or 1800 a day starting now. Right now it's set at 1530 to lose 1.6 pounds per week (I haven't adjusted it lower in months and don't plan to).

I'd like to lose about 45 more pounds and then evaluate whether I'm done or not. I've lost my current 63 pounds since June 16. Weight loss has actually sped up quite a bit lately, and I've lost an average of almost 3 pounds a week over the last 2-3 months. I generally don't eat my exercise calories, but I follow my body - if I'm hungry, I eat them. I exercise 5-6 days a week cardio and strength training.

Is it wise to attempt to slow down weight loss now? Should I just focus more on eating my exercise calories and leave my daily goal alone?

I've opened my diary for the time being if anyone wants to look - but I was traveling last week Wed-Sat so it's not typical. (I purposely went lower this weekend to make up for the Thanksgiving extravaganza - otherwise I seldom go below 1530).

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why increase your calorie limit when you have hundreds left every day?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Why increase your calorie limit when you have hundreds left every day?

So then let's rephrase it. With a lot of weight to lose, I wasn't eating my exercise calories. Am I right that it's time to start doing that?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,845 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are pushing yourself pretty hard. If you are within 45 lbs of your goal, you might think of slowing down to 1 lb a week. Well done on your weight loss so far!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling light headed in a workout, then you shoudl drink gaterade or powerade or something like that during the workout-- it will help.

Also, why are you asking people on MFP how much you should eat? You have a trainerm that you're paying for his or her expertise..... listen to him/her!
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Yes it's time to eat your exercise calories, you need to be eating a NET of at least 1200 calories for your body to continue to function normally (or so they say... please lets not start a debate over arbitrary numbers lol)
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Also, why are you asking people on MFP how much you should eat? You have a trainerm that you're paying for his or her expertise..... listen to him/her!

The same reason most people post here - to get feedback from people based on their experiences :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If I were getting lightheaded after exercise, yes I would certainly try eating more. And/or seeing a doctor.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Yes it's time to eat your exercise calories, you need to be eating a NET of at least 1200 calories for your body to continue to function normally (or so they say... please lets not start a debate over arbitrary numbers lol)

Makes sense. That's what I'll do. Thank you.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I get lightheaded when I workout really hard without having eaten enough previously during the day.

I try to make sure I eat well at least two hours prior to my workout if I know its going to be a hard one.

And staying hydrated will help too.

I can't give you advice on whether to modify your weight loss plan, though.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    If you are lightheaded during a workout, you are probably not eating enough and/or not drinking enough to fuel the workout.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    It sounds like you are pushing yourself pretty hard. If you are within 45 lbs of your goal, you might think of slowing down to 1 lb a week. Well done on your weight loss so far!

Thanks!
  • flyingpiglet
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories... what is happening is its already calculated for a deficit of calories to lose weight...when you don't eat back your exercise calories you are increasing your deficit. You are building more muscle now which revs up your metabolism...try eating back some of your excercise calories and you should see a difference.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Please do eat your exercise calories. When you don't, you are essentially giving your body hundreds of calories less than it actually needs to function, hence the lightheadedness. MFP gives you a calorie goal with the intention that you eat back calories to maintain a consistent and healthy deficit.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You should really see your doctor if you are on any medications because the dosage can change with weightloss. Esp Blood Pressure medications..

^I know you did not say anything about that sort of thing. But being dizzy is nothing to fool around with. :)

Try upping your cals a little and see if you feel better after a few weeks.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Listen to you PT - they now what they are talking about and are the experts.
    There's also a saying, that the faster you get the weight off, the faster you get it back on (and heck, but I know that is true)
    So donlt stress yourself, relax and enjoy life, eat a bit more and follow his advice and adjust your intake a bit. There's no need for a mad rush ^^
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I would say to start eating your exercise calories. Especially since you've been shedding the pounds at an accelerated rate to begin with. I would think that your weight loss would slow down on it's own when you start to eat the exercise.

Also, it doesn't look like you are tracking your liquid consumption. I would make sure that you are drinking enough fluids. That could help the lightheadedness as well. Now that it's "winter", for those of us who live in the northern regions, you'll start to lose more moisture through your skin with the drier cold air.

Looks like you've done a great job!
  • wlossw
    Options
    If you slow down your weight loss, you will also keep more muscle on. You need to measure your body fat % as well as weight. Sometimes the scale doesn't show your progress.

One thing is for sure, if you don't eat properly your sabotaging future health.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Thank you everyone - I will start eating my exercise calories and see where that takes me. I'm not in a mad rush anymore :)
    Also, it doesn't look like you are tracking your liquid consumption. I would make sure that you are drinking enough fluids. That could help the lightheadedness as well. Now that it's "winter", for those of us who live in the northern regions, you'll start to lose more moisture through your skin with the drier cold air.

Correct, I don't track it - but I drink a LOT of water.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    definitely eat them back!! When I started grad classes, I was overwhelmed by the workload (7 weeks per class...nothing can prep you for it haha) plus working two jobs and half marathon training. I basically went from eating my exercise cals to not at all and boy did I notice the difference! I was exhausted, losing hair more, having trouble controlling my mood, etc. Once I had my week off in between Class 1 and Class 2, I reevaluated my schedule and made time to ensure I eat enough. Now I am more energized and more my happy self again! I say, leave your cal goal where it is and then eat your exercise cals as your body sees fit. Some days I eat it all, others I have 200 left over. With running distance, I have noticed I am hungry one to two days after my longest run of the week versus that day so I listen to my body. Its all based on your body! Good luck with everything and CONGRATS ON YOUR CURRENT PROGRESS!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to increase right now but you SHOULD eat most of your exercise calories. On average it looks like you're netting anywhere from 900-1200 calories/day. No wonder you're losing 3 lbs or more a week! Have you showed your trainer your food log and explain how MFP works in that it calculated your loss WITHOUT any exercise? If not, then do that.

S/he can better advise you when s/he knows what you are doing now.

As for the light headedness do you track your heart rate while working out? Perhaps you pushed yourself very hard and just felt woozy. Perhaps it is because you don't have the spare energy to burn (low net calories) and need more fuel (food).