I am SO tired!

Options
Hey all, I am tired all the time and I find it so hard to find the motivation to exercise when all I want to do is sleep.

I have a Baby girl that is 8 months she sleeps thru the night.

I go to bed at 9 (the very latest is 10) and up by 6-7 (baby doesn’t sleep past 7)

I have at least one nap a day with my baby (some times 2)

And I am tired from when I wake up to when I go to bed.

I have always been a person to like sleep (I like to get 7-8 hours a night)

But when I am tired it’s so much harder to make the right decisions. So I am having more 'off' days then 'on'

I have asked my doctor to do some test and the results should be back soon. But until then I am here tired and making all the wrong chokes because of it

It all started about the same time that I started all this weight loss stuff, and at first I thought that it was because I was exercising, but even if I don’t do anything for a day or two, I still feel the same way,

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet? Are you eating enough calories? Are you nursing? Keeping up with a little one burns a lot of calories. If you are not eating enough and not getting enough nutrients to heal your body from pregnancy and child birth, you will stay tired.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    YOu are so lucky your baby sleeps so much. None of my 4 did that.
    Maybe post partum depression? I wish you well.
  • diana160
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating? I am a professed carboholic and if I eat to many, I am tired. Those that bother me are bread and pasta, sweets. Just a thought. Hang in there.....Diana:flowerforyou:
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had two children and with both of mine the tired feeling was with me for a good year, and I really thought I would never get ME back. Your body changes when you have a baby and if you are breast feeding the baby is taking a lot from you. Then add in early mornings, lots of extra work and the house plus husband to look after, you have good reason to be tired. Take your time, get out and walk with the baby in a stroller or with a carrier on your back. Sleep when she does and play when she does and leave the housework for someone else. You will come around, don't stress about it just put all your love and time into the little one. The rest will fall into place. I sure wish someone had said those words to me when I was 50 years younger.
  • nurseygirl66
    nurseygirl66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fatigue is a common challenge for those of us dieting. First, check with your doc about tests like thyroid, depression, etc. Like the other response about carbs, they are a killer. To lose weight, we have to dig into our reserves for energy, so make sure you're eating plenty of lean protein to keep you up with long lasting energy. I also take a B-12 tab every day that dissolves on your tongue, which might help. Chin up!! :yawn:
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I would wait until the tests come back and see what they said, there could be any number of things causing your exhaustion which is pretty excessive. When I started on this journey to better health I went to the dr and found out that I have low thyroid (hashimoto disease), I'm anemic and I have a few other issues that were all major causes of fatigue. My dr has been giving me B12 shots weekly but I STILL find myself tired a good part of the time but with a better diet, exercise and my meds I will say that I can tell it's slowly getting better. Definitely not the immediate change I was hoping for. Good luck!
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    Are you getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet? Are you eating enough calories? Are you nursing? Keeping up with a little one burns a lot of calories. If you are not eating enough and not getting enough nutrients to heal your body from pregnancy and child birth, you will stay tired.

yes i am eatting fruits and veggies, my calorie intake is set at 1550. i am not nursing.

i am just so tired of being tired, and having to fight my self to do any exercies and take proper note of what/where/how much food.
  • Katibug185
    Options
    You can do this! I am glad you are asking for help from your network here and your doctor...hang in there and keep reaching out.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ha. You're a parent... you must not have gotten the memo that you are suppose to be tired.

My kids are older now, but when they were in that crawling phase, I was napping all the time... and felt tired
    all the time.

Are you getting up in the middle of the night? I am sure that all the parents will chime in here... interrupted sleep
    is a huge vampire (life drainer).

Were you tired all the time before having your child (sorry can't remember the gender).
  • Nos150
    Options
    yes i have always been on the tired side, but never this bad. this is even worse then the last month of preganacy. (and i was working two jobs then too!)

i do get a good nights sleep as Baby rarely get up in the night.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

yes i am eatting fruits and veggies, my calorie intake is set at 1550. i am not nursing.

i am just so tired of being tired, and having to fight my self to do any exercies and take proper note of what/where/how much food.
    That might not be enough calories based kn how much you nurse. Try bumping your calories by 200 of quality proteins to see if that helps. I have seen many estimates of an extra 300-600 calories for nursing. So its possible you are netting sub 1200 which is very low to begin with.
  • Nos150
    Options
    we gave it our best go, but i am not nursing.

( :( )
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Try upping your caloric intake. Whether you're nursing or not, being a mommy takes a lot of energy! I recently read that fatigue can be a sign that your body is not getting enough nutrients. Try keeping some almonds in the house and snacking on those every once in a while. Also, coffee! :wink: Good luck Hun and hang in there!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    we gave it our best go, but i am not nursing.

( :( )
    I am very sorry to hear that buti still suggest eating more. If you want to post orsend me your weight height and age we can do some formulating your caloric needs.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Interesting article:

Ask Dr. Caroline Apovian
    Fatigue From Weight Loss
    Print E-mail Q: I have been dieting and exercising for weeks and lost 4 pounds in the first week. I am also very tired all of the time. I take a daily multivitamin, plus vitamins and supplements (COQ10, D, B12, fish oil, alpha-lipoic acid, and magnesium). I have had my thyroid tested several times and it always comes back normal.

— Lori, Pennsylvania
    A:
    There are many reasons that one could feel tired all the time besides thyroid disease and not eating enough. Most people need at least eight hours of sleep per night to be at their energetic best, and most Americans do not get this amount of sleep regularly. Sleep deprivation can cause fatigue, anxiety, and weight gain. Another reason why you might be tired is dehydration, especially if you lost four pounds in the first week of your diet. Make sure you are drinking enough non-caloric beverages per day. Depression can also cause fatigue, as can overtraining, but the most common reasons for fatigue are the ones mentioned above.

Also, remember that although you are taking some good supplements, a multivitamin and other supplements can never take the place of the actual food that contains these substances. There are other things in the food itself that seem to promote health — not just the vitamin. Therefore, never substitute a multivitamin for good healthy eating of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean protein and low-fat dairy. Taking fish oil is a good idea, but you should also be taking in fish twice per week and olive and canola oils as well. If you are not eating healthfully, you cannot be healthy no matter how many vitamin supplements you take. And remember, taking too many vitamins can cause toxicity if you are taking more than the recommended dose of fat-soluble vitamins.

Learn more in the Everyday Health Diet and Nutrition Center.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wait for your test results.
    I was so tired recently myself, I was working 14 hrs a days often 6-7 days a week for months at a time, and I so tired I thought I must have that chronic fatigue syndrome. But instead my tests came back that I was Amenic and very much so.. likely from all of the work, stress, and a monthly cycle that was 65 days (20 of them very heavy). It has taken me months to get back to not being as tired. But even then I am always a bit because I have a very mild case of sleep apnea (I just cannot stand the CPap machine).

Wait to see the results, maybe you will just need some B-12 and iron pills like I did, but it can still take months to get your levels back up to snuff.

Best of luck.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi Mama,
    I understand the fatugue... I am the mommy of two- a five year old and a two year old who recently started sleeping through the night. I find that I am still making up for lost time, sleepwise- but it's getting better. Like other people posted, eating cleaner might help, as well as seeing what your doctor finds.
    If I were you, I would make sure that you get outside and go for a walk with your baby everyday. Sunlight helps so much, and going for a walk might help you feel a bit better. Even if it's only a 20 minute walk, that bit of exercise and fresh air might do wonders for you two.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? You might also try drinking coffee or tea beverages as the caffeine will give your metabolism a boost (and they will NOT dehydrate you). As you lose weight and exercise more you'll probably find that you have more energy throughout the day.
  • Nos150
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? You might also try drinking coffee or tea beverages as the caffeine will give your metabolism a boost (and they will NOT dehydrate you). As you lose weight and exercise more you'll probably find that you have more energy throughout the day.

ha ha! yes i was told that if i lost weight that i would find more energy, but still waiting for that to happen! (sorry for laught, but that has been a thorn in my side since i started...)

thank you all for your wonderful advice and encouragement!
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    I would check out Adrenal Fatigue to see if some of the symptoms are related to what you are experiencing. I suffered from this for about a year and am finally coming out of the "dark":

Morning fatigue. You don’t really seem to wake up until 10 a.m., even if you’ve been awake since 7 a.m.
    Afternoon “low” (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
    A burst of energy at 6 p.m. when you finally feel better from your afternoon lull
    Sleepiness around 9p.m. to 10 p.m. However, you resist going to sleep
    A “second wind” at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m., when you finally do go to sleep
    Cravings for foods high in salt and fats
    Chronic low blood pressure
    Sensitivity to cold and feeling chilled
    Increased PMS or menopausal symptoms
    Mild depression
    Mood swings
    Mental fog
    Memory problems
    Lack of energy and feeling rundown
    A decreased ability to handle stress
    A decreased ability to recover from illness
    Muscular weakness
    Increased food allergies
    Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or lying down position
    Decreased sex drive
    Frequent sighing
    Inability to handle foods high in potassium or carbohydrates unless they’re combined with fats and protein
    You crave sugar

I do realize that many of these symptoms could be related to other medical problems, but it's something to posssibly look into.

Either way, I hope you find relief soon! I know exactly how you feel (fortunately, I didn't have to care for a baby when going through the worst of it). The best of luck to you!!