Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
I am determined to use my slow cooker more this season and I am looking for some healthy slow cooker recipes. What is YOUR favorite, go to slow cooker recipe??

Replies

• slnash
    slnash Posts: 16
    Options
    check out www.crockingirls.com (with one g in the middle). They have naughty recipes, but they have a few healthy ones, too. There is one for Taco soup that gives the weight watcher points - I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard it is good.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes and celery with onion, black pepper, and garlic powder (or minced garlic, if you have it) and a bit of bbq sauce. Use 1/4 cup of water in the bottom and cook away. Tastes delicious and feels nice and hearty! You could use pretty much any root veggies you like, but I love using that stuff the best. :)

Lazy lasagna. You pretty much make like you would in a casserole dish, just layer it into the slow cooker instead. So you cook your ground beef/chicken/turkey/bison/whatever first on the stove and mix your tomato sauce with it. Then layer noodles, cheese, meat sauce until you fill the slow cooker or you run out of ingredients.

Beef stew. Beef cubes, carrots, potatoes, celery... whatever veggies you like in your stew. Use a 1/4 cup of water in bottom to help cook. Once everything is almost cooked, make gravy (I use Clubhouse gravy mix in the packages from the spice isle) and add it in to the slow cooker. Bring back to a boil, and you're done!

Sorry I don't have times listed... I usually wing it when I use my slow cooker. If cooking on high, usually 4 - 6 hrs. But it depends on how tender you want your meat. Use your judgement and don't be afraid to stick a meat thermometer into the meat to test if its cooked completely.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The easiest crockpot recipe ever:

Boneless skinless chicken breast (I use 2)
    1 can black beans
    Salsa (I just pour some...maybe 2 cups?)

Put all ingredients in crock pot, crank it up and leave. Come home and chicken should easily shred apart. Stir and serve either on a tortilla or over a salad with sour cream and cheese (and other stuff like cilantro or more salsa if you prefer).
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My recipe is very similiar to this one on allrecipes- only main difference is no corn or tortillas (i don't do starchy foods) and I top each bowl with a bunch of raw, chopped cilantro and fresh squeezed lime to serve and a touch of sour cream if I am in the mood. = ) No chips needed to make this uber delicious on winter nights!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/detail.aspx

edit- forgot to include link!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    do a search for a topic i posted.......what's in your crockpot? I posted it last week......a lot of great responses!
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from a Slow Cooker cookbook.

Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
    1chicken cut up (we use whatever pieces we have on hand- usually legs and thighs)
    4 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
    8 large garlic cloves (or 8 teaspoons of minced garlic)
    1/4 melted butter
    1/4 honey

Put potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker and place the chicken on top. Add garlic. Drizzle butter and honey on top. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender and potatoes are cooked through. Serves 4

Note: We often add a few carrots and up the honey just a little. This is a family favorite.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The easiest crockpot recipe ever:

Boneless skinless chicken breast (I use 2)
    1 can black beans
    Salsa (I just pour some...maybe 2 cups?)

Put all ingredients in crock pot, crank it up and leave. Come home and chicken should easily shred apart. Stir and serve either on a tortilla or over a salad with sour cream and cheese (and other stuff like cilantro or more salsa if you prefer).

Similar to this, but I add 16oz ff sour cream and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning :) Great!! :)

You can make Turkey Meatballs
    1lb Ground Turkey
    1 cup Bread Crumbs
    diced onion
    seasoning (to taste)
    1 large jar tomato sauce

Roll into golf ball sized balls, or if you like your meatballs larger you can do that too. Make sure to grease the crockpot (I use PAM). Pour a little sauce into the bottom, fill with meatballs, pour the rest of the sauce over the top. Cook on low for 8hrs or High probably 4-6. Great for pasta, meatball subs, just plain.

Turkey Chilli - lots of good stuff! :)
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My recipe is very similiar to this one on allrecipes- only main difference is no corn or tortillas (i don't do starchy foods) and I top each bowl with a bunch of raw, chopped cilantro and fresh squeezed lime to serve and a touch of sour cream if I am in the mood. = ) No chips needed to make this uber delicious on winter nights!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/detail.aspx

edit- forgot to include link!

This is also my favorite crock pot meal! Yummy stuff! Instead of store bought tortilla chips for the topping, I bake my own. Mission has these small yellow ones that are 80 calories for two tortillas which is way more than you need for one serving. I cut them into thin strips and drop them on a cookie sheet with a quick spray of nonstick spray and bake them until they are crunchy and top my soup with those. It only takes about 5 minutes or so, depending on your oven. Watch them closely, however, because they can go from "almost done" to "burnt" very quickly.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    trimmed steak
    1 onion, sliced
    2 potatoes, cubed
    1 c merlot
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tsp basil
    ground black pepper

Place it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
  • MelissaJ6807
    Options
    Bump
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnycrockpot.com/

My new favorite website.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This is one of my posted recipes on food.com. All the nutrition info is posted there too.

http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian-chicken-with-coconut-milk-sauce-307015

Feel free to check out my 250 or so recipes on the site. I'll warn you first that a lot of them are not of the "healthy" cooking that I am now doing. But I did post some of my favorites before food.com took over recipezaar.com.

My name on the site is Sassy in da South. Nutrition info should be included with each recipe.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    all of these recipes sound very good. i will definately be trying some of them this winter!
  • MelissaJ6807
    Options
    bump
  • kaitlynw785
    Options
    1/4 cups of honey?
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I love "Apple Pie Breakfast"

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html

or "Blueberry Pie Breakfast"

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/blueberry-pie-breakfast.html

I have some pears to use up in the fridge so I might even make it with pear instead tomorrow :)
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from a Slow Cooker cookbook.

Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
    1chicken cut up (we use whatever pieces we have on hand- usually legs and thighs)
    4 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
    8 large garlic cloves (or 8 teaspoons of minced garlic)
    1/4 melted butter
    1/4 honey

Put potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker and place the chicken on top. Add garlic. Drizzle butter and honey on top. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender and potatoes are cooked through. Serves 4

Note: We often add a few carrots and up the honey just a little. This is a family favorite.

Fantastic recipe.I only used chicken breasts and cut the recipe in half for 4 people -It was so good.now a new family favorite.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I love "Apple Pie Breakfast"

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html

or "Blueberry Pie Breakfast"

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/blueberry-pie-breakfast.html

I have some pears to use up in the fridge so I might even make it with pear instead tomorrow :)

Sounds delicious!
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump!