42yr old single mom needs to get fit

Options
Hello ~ my name is Lesley &&& I am trying to committ myself to finally getting fit! But this is a very hard struggle for me...
as i have pretty much eaten what i want when i wanted my whole life and i am a huge lover of sweets / junk food -
I also dislike to work out VERY much...:( ANY friends, help, suggestions, groups to join (esp local), recipes, motivational tip, etc
are more than welcomed! It is really time for me to get motivated and reach my goals!
Anyone in the Carrollton, Texas area who could pair up to help me would be greaaat!

i HAVE to:

Get Moving / Excercise on a daily basis (ugh) * Change my whole eating patterns / thought process - smaller, healthier portions
Give up my bad vices (not gonna be easy) * Learn to cook healthy meals

Any help getting this process started would be a blessing :)

Replies

• eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You are totally in the right place, soo glad you are here. This place has changed my life. Please feel free to add me if you wish, I love having and supporting motivated people along for my journey.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This definitely is the place for support and motivation... I have not been disappointed! Some days we just need to here one person post on our wall " You can do it!" That happens here! Add me if you like, I not only need support but I love to give it back ( helps keep me going)!

M
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Trying to do all at once will not be easy...... Pick your first goal - set a time limit and DO IT, after each level you reach keep moving forward and you will done before you know it .

Zumba is a fast favorite - find a girlfriend and head to a class. Buy a DVD and do it at home.

I like Body Pump at the Y - makes weight lifting not sooo boring.

You got this - you can do it!!!!

I have never dieted, but I slowly got up to 218 and 40 is here, time for a change. Its been 3 months and 28 lbs later. I surprise myself that I have stuck to it......tips - drink plenty of water, limit sodium, eat protein, and move.... even if its just walking....

Add me as a friend if you like!
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi Lesley,
    Welcome! Like Eddie said, this is the place. It does amazing things and there are lots of people wanting to support you. Follow along here and check out other peoples stories and see that it can be done. I would be happy to be friends as well. Karen
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

My suggestions are to stop thinking 'I have to change everything right now' 'cos that's just unrealistic and unnecessarily difficult.

Start small with exercise and you'll soon find it building up. A 15 min. walk? Park a bit further away? Take the stairs? Do something relaxing like yoga or something you enjoy like dance? Don't think you need to join a gym or do a hard DVD.

With food, again, start with a couple of small changes. Don't think about changing your whole diet, just work out a few better choices. If you start logging what you're already eating, you'll soon see what's very high in calories and what would be a better choice. (There are better choices in fast food and pre-prepared meals, it's just a matter of reading the nutrition info). Start adding one or two more bits of fruit or veg. Start drinking as much water as you can squeeze in.

Don't worry about your cooking for the moment, just start logging everything that goes in your mouth (including drinks). Then as you start to see how the calories go, you can make a few substitutions like less oil, turkey instead of beef mince, less cheese etc. But don't try and do everything at once, is my advice!

Good luck on your journey!
  • Brandy0213
    Options
    Hi Lesley and welcome! I PROMISE this site will help tons! The calorie counter alone was such a blessing... I suggest to just feel your way around the site and get comfortable with using it... don't be afraid to ask for help or talk to others... everyone is very kind here and willing to give you their advice... also, I have a group under communities called tips and tricks... you might find some things that will help you there... GOOD LUCK and I am here if you need anything!
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

My suggestions are to stop thinking 'I have to change everything right now' 'cos that's just unrealistic and unnecessarily difficult.

Start small with exercise and you'll soon find it building up. A 15 min. walk? Park a bit further away? Take the stairs? Do something relaxing like yoga or something you enjoy like dance? Don't think you need to join a gym or do a hard DVD.

With food, again, start with a couple of small changes. Don't think about changing your whole diet, just work out a few better choices. If you start logging what you're already eating, you'll soon see what's very high in calories and what would be a better choice. (There are better choices in fast food and pre-prepared meals, it's just a matter of reading the nutrition info). Start adding one or two more bits of fruit or veg. Start drinking as much water as you can squeeze in.

Don't worry about your cooking for the moment, just start logging everything that goes in your mouth (including drinks). Then as you start to see how the calories go, you can make a few substitutions like less oil, turkey instead of beef mince, less cheese etc. But don't try and do everything at once, is my advice!

Good luck on your journey!

This is rock solid!! All I could think when reading your initial post was that you were taking on too much and creating a mountain of changes...you didn't get where you are over night...you won't change it all overnight either. Great advice also about just start logging everything...if you have a smart phone, use it to log. You have to be the one motivated to make changes but this is a great place to pick up info, tips, suggestions that will help you achieve your goals. Good luck!!