totally discouraged

Options
jlanab
jlanab Posts: 89 Member
So... I started at 217 in January and through a lot of hard work I am currently 173.2. I didnt do any before pictures but I can definately tell I've lost weight, every part of me is smaller. Two weeks ago I was tired of all of my clothes falling off of me and decided to "out with the old in with the new". Cleaned the closet literally tried on everything in there and got rid of the items that were too big no matter how much I loved them or how much I spent on them. Get to the mall to treat myself and in the fitting room all I could say was wtf wtf wtf!!! STILL A SIZE 12 :sad: !!!!! Now to date I have lost close to 30 inches all over my body which I am so happy about. Everyone comments on my weight loss and even my boyfriend comments on how "small" I have gotten but how is it that Iv lost all these inches, toned legs, and gotten smaller everywhere and am still the same size? And if thats the case how come the old clothes didnt fit? Sure could have saved all the money I spent (although I LOVE the new wardrobe and it makes me feel totally sexy). What gives?

Replies

• GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was 218 and a size 20 (I'm 5'2") I haven't seen size 12 is a LOONG time but I getting there (size 16).
    I think the manufacturers are in kahootz!

Just like your weight - the size is number - you look great, feel great, and love the clothes!!
    Enjoy!!!!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Much of it depends on the maker of the clothes. I am a 14 in some a 12 in others, but having been a 8 or 10 my entire life I know I am not a 12 yet. Even when I wore an 8, I needed to go to a 10 in different items. Think of it this way, we all wear the same in stretchy clothes, but in jeans or fitted skirts we are all different. You look and feel good, the BF thinks you look smaller. Don't worry about size.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I am actually the same way. My clothes fit a lot looser and my pants fall down (they were a little bit on me before but not by much). I lost pounds and a couple inches... and yet for some reason I haven't dropped any sizes in pants. I don't get it...
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I was 218 and a size 20 (I'm 5'2") I haven't seen size 12 is a LOONG time but I getting there (size 16).
    I think the manufacturers are in kahootz!

Just like your weight - the size is number - you look great, feel great, and love the clothes!!
    Enjoy!!!!

Wow, we repeated each other.
  • careermom68
    Options
    Dont be discouraged, it sounds like you are shopping in the wrong store, or the wrong department. I started at 214 wearing a 16/18, i'm now the same weight as you and i wear a 10 on the bottom and a 12 on top. My chest is rather large hence the need for the 12 or a large....Try the misses section, in a good store. Juniors are a no no. I used to shop in the Womens section, now because of my height I can wear a petite 10 pants or a petite large dress....Go to Macys!
  • bdmom3
    bdmom3 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is true but I've read that your body will lose weight in the reverse order that it was gained. For me that would mean my belly will be the last to go. I also think manufacturers have sizes measured differently with each brand. Depending on the brand you could be a size 12 in one pair of pants and a size 10 or even 14 in another. Who knows, but if you are feeling fabulous then that's the important thing.:)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever measure your success by the size of your clothes (not if you're female, anyway) - there is soooooooooo much variation amongst the designers. I have a size 4 skirt, many size 6 pants that fit great, some size 8 pants that are snug, and some size 12 tops that gape in the chest while others hang off me. There is no standard for the sizes, so don't measure yourself against shifting goal posts!!! The mirror and your scale are far better indicators.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!!
  • lorirodriguez16
    lorirodriguez16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i used 2 be a 12, and everyone thought i was an 8. i think it totally has 2 do with bones, if u got big boned hips like me, ur gonna only get so small in size before you stop dropping dress sizes. but dont let it discourage you, you are beautiful and you have come so far :) congrats on the job well done!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    The latest pair of pants you bought what size and brand were they? Try on ones similar to those. I took me losing over 60lbs to change sizes. I know it's hard. But look at those old pants, they were to big!!!!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    The latest pair of pants you bought what size and brand were they? Try on ones similar to those. I took me losing over 60lbs to change sizes. I know it's hard. But look at those old pants, they were to big!!!!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You are not a number! Either your weight or your size. Look at all the weight and inches you've lost. Look at how much better you look and feel. THAT is why you are doing this. Sizes are so arbitrary. Do not let that number define you. You are totally awesome!
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, because I don't understand how you could be a size 12 if you weighed 217? I know clothes can vary but that seems really unlikely to me. I think the best thing would be to try the same brand to see how much you have gone down as the sizes should be consistent in the same brand. Well done on the loss and if you can see a difference it must be working!
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    It's DEFINITELY the store. My guess is that when you were heavier you shopped at places like Lane Bryant or a similar store. Now that you're a much slimmer female you're thinking it'll be a treat to go to more mainstream type stores. Well, the thing about retailers is that they want to flatter you so you'll buy their clothes. Case in point: Banana Republic tells me ALL the time that I'm a size 4 - 6 petite (bc I'm short) but when I shop at LITERALLY any other store I'm a size 7 - 9. What gives??? It's the retailers trying to make you feel good. Lane Bryant (and stores that cater to similar clientel) knows that their shoppers are already sensitive about their size. So, it's just all relative. Go back to where you USED to shop and look at clothes. It'll make you feel a LOT better. Promise.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at your profile pic, and you look GOOD. Don't let the retailers get you down. Keep at it and you'll start seeing those sizes in the NEW stores go down too.

:-D
  • Juliette320
    Juliette320 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe the old clothes stretched with you. Should have kept a pair to compare with. I bet that's what it is. I have a pair like that lol (: but you are doing a great job ! Keep up the ork it will pay off!
  • Kattie1
    Kattie1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey lady maybe it's the clothes design, don't be discouraged, if you want to be a smaller size keep fighting, the important thing is that you have lost weight and your body is more healthier, so dont give up keep pushing you will get to where you want to be.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Maybe the old clothes stretched with you. Should have kept a pair to compare with. I bet that's what it is. I have a pair like that lol (: but you are doing a great job ! Keep up the ork it will pay off!
    [/Iquote]

:smile: :smile: I think this is what happens, I had the same situation while trying to find some nice pants for Thanksgiving. But at least when I bought the new one's they don't have elastic in the waist, they are button ups and my old ones were getting tight and I was about to have to go up a size if I hadn't changed my lifestyle. Good luck and WTG.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You also have to think, your old clothes are worn in and stretched out from wearing them and washing them often. So they easily could have stretched to a bigger size. Don't become discouraged, keep up the good work!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever measure your success by the size of your clothes (not if you're female, anyway) - there is soooooooooo much variation amongst the designers. I have a size 4 skirt, many size 6 pants that fit great, some size 8 pants that are snug, and some size 12 tops that gape in the chest while others hang off me. There is no standard for the sizes, so don't measure yourself against shifting goal posts!!! The mirror and your scale are far better indicators.

I've always had the same issues with clothes, but I mostly quoted you to tell you your avatar is hilarious!
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've shopped at the same store(s) for the majority of my adult life (Macy's, Boston Store, New York & CO, Dillards, Nordstrom Rack) I haven't been in the juniors department in years (it was an ego thing, why buy a 15/17 juniors when I can buy a 12 Misses?) The only size that has changed in my bra size, they've gotten smaller (HALLELUJAH :bigsmile: ) it just seems weird! I know Im not a number but dagonnit there are numbers in the tape measure, the scale, and every item of clothing I own. Swear Im gonna sew "PERFECT" on the tag of all my jeans
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I've always had the same issues with clothes, but I mostly quoted you to tell you your avatar is hilarious!

Thanks! It cracks me up (mostly because it's true!!!). :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!