Big Calves. HELP

Options
So I have big calves, always kind of have had them. But when I gained weight, they got bigger as well. I don't know how much of it could be fat but I would really like not to have the "peg legs" as I have been called. Anyone have any suggestions on how to shrink them? And a lot of it is solid muscle. I don't know what to do. :(

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    So I have big calves, always kind of have had them. But when I gained weight, they got bigger as well. I don't know how much of it could be fat but I would really like not to have the "peg legs" as I have been called. Anyone have any suggestions on how to shrink them? And a lot of it is solid muscle. I don't know what to do. :(
    I am in the same boat as you. I have muscular calves. They don't really bother me though, I'm just focusing on getting in shape and whatever happens to my calves, happens. lol
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce (if you could, Lord knows I would have a smaller chest by now).

Just work on getting healthy all over. Your calves will reduce somewhat, but you don't get to pick where the fat leaves first.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 50# over the last year and a half, and only in the last 3 weeks or so seen any change in my calves (I can now zip up my boots all the way), I have found nothing that shrinks that part yet, but I am still looking!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I am in good shape always been in sports (catcher, goalie, short stop) big calves are needed....I can't fit them in most cute boots. I have just decided that I would rather have muscular amazing looking legs that skinny sticks! :) it is all in how you look at it! :) ~Corina
  • malibulu
    Options
    Mine are big too - I've lost 19lbs so far and have noticed a big change in their size - still big, but less big lol. I'm gonna wait til I've lost another 20 lbs before I try and do anything else because I think getting rid of the weight at the moment is my biggest issue. Hopefully they'll just change in proportion as they have done already :-)
    Good luck with your loss x
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    We all come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it makes the world wonderful and diverse! I have skinny calves... look like twigs...not a good look... and can't get calf boots to fit! Not all pros to it!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the same problem....but honestly I have given up on seeing any significant change. They are a bit more cut/defined since I now run 4-5 times a week but still pretty big.

I have spoken to 4-5 different trainers over the years and they all talk about distance running and low weight high repetition strength training (which I do) but none of that can change my genes.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I, too, am anxious to see my calves shrink... If they will! I was a dancer for many years and I have massively muscular, super-strong legs, covered now by a marvelous layer of fat! Here's to thinner calves!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Most of the calf muscle is located higher on the leg. Even with good sized muscles you can have nice, shapely legs.

My legs (including feet and ankles) have slimmed down more quickly that other parts of my body. I think this is because I do a lot of spin classes, but it could just be where my body wants to take fat from first.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Can I have them? I'd like to have bigger calves.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have muscular calves. They don't really bother me though, I'm just focusing on getting in shape and whatever happens to my calves, happens. lol

I do too - and I did lose most of the fat off mine but they're still big. not much you can do about it honestly. Learn to love it and if you're me, stop buying running capris that you have to wear pushed up under your knees because they are too tight on your huge calves (Sigh)

I think mine can lean out a bit more - the running seems to have helpd, but I think they're always going to be bigger than other people's. Better than super skinny legs right?
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have kankles too!!! (that’s what I call my big calves even though that's not what kankles are) I get so upset when I want a pair of cute boots and they don't fit my calves! I have lost around 35 pounds and have only noticed a small change in my calves. Bummer... Looks like I’ll have to learn to :heart: my kankles. :happy:
  • sandybirrd
    Options
    Definitely in the big calf club!!

I have lost fat off them as I've lost weight. More importantly, I've been doing yoga for almost two years, and I've noticed a huge change in their shape, even back when I was almost 20 lbs heavier. I don't know if it's just better muscle tone or if all the stretching has made the muscles a bit longer and leaner. Either way, they're still thick, but much more shapely...especially in heels!!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Better to have shapely calves than shapeless sticks! Women (and men!) pay to get that lovely shape. Tone 'em up, and use what mother nature blessed you with!

I have huge calves. :D
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves, but it is genetic, my Dad had them too, even when I was young, I could never get zip up boots. But you know, I am the envy or some of my cycling mates!

GG
  • chelsieb27
    Options
    I have large calves as well. It's something I have come to embrace. No matter what I do they are always big. When I run a lot they just get bigger. I have tried calf raises and other various exercises and they just stay the same. I haven't found anything to work. Just embrace them. :smile:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Big shapely calves > little child chicken legs. I have always LOVED calves with huge muscles on the back. Obviously kankles are lame but if you have low body fat and well defined muscles it looks hot! Especially if you are a biker or runner as you are showing off your effort. That or defined lean muscles on arms are awesome too! Guess I'm different but I'd rather that then look weak and boney.
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in the club too. I was a dancer and competitive cheerleader for 8 years so my legs are wicked muscular... I'm wondering how on earth ill fit in combat boots if they don't shrink some!!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am in good shape always been in sports (catcher, goalie, short stop) big calves are needed....I can't fit them in most cute boots. I have just decided that I would rather have muscular amazing looking legs that skinny sticks! :) it is all in how you look at it! :) ~Corina

YES! I love this attitude!!!
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it is all genetics. I inherited my mother's body shape - a big plump apple. We both have a large torso (belly, back, neck), but arms and legs are relatively "thin". It is odd proportions. BUT I do enjoy fitting in boots and more importantly for me, ski boots. Oh and that geneitcs thing ... my dad was ALWAYS thin .... why didn't I take after him? :)