Older and looking worse after weight loss

Options
Some people look worse after significant weight loss. They look older, more wrinkled, more fragile. Exercise doesn't seem to help.

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I challenge that. lol
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    not sure if trolling or if looking at the wrong people...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Look at the success story section and decide for yourself. I bet your opinion changes.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    They say that after about 45, women tend to look older. But, that's just because plump is a younger look in general. Personally, I don't care. I'm healthier, and that's the goal. People who don't like the way I look simply don't have to look.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    A lot of it (that I've seen) has to do with skin elasticity. Think about it - less fat to fill up your face = more obvious wrinkles. Also, a lot of older people don't exercise as much, so they're losing a lot of muscle in addition to the fat. The working out doesn't help because they don't have adequate nutrition to fuel muscle growth.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you're eating right and taking care of your body, I don't see how it could possibly make you look worse. Maybe it's just the people who aren't taking care of themselves properly that aren't looking so great?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think what happens, happens. I KNOW I will be healthier after losing weight, and that is what is most important to me.

If people lose weight in a healthy way - eating enough calories (not starving themselves), staying active and including both cardio and strength training, then it seems like the chances of negative effect on the appearance go down signifiantly.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh, I couldn't disagree more.

I have looked at dozens and dozens of pictures on this site of major weight losses and the thing that always stands out is how much younger they all ok. It is such a huge difference , years and years taken off them.
    I'm sure there is the odd one here and there who might not look so great but I haven't seen it yet.

One thing is for sure though, they will be healthier and that's a great incentive for weight loss no matter what they look like.

I
  • delta90017
    Options
    They say that after about 45, women tend to look older. But, that's just because plump is a younger look in general. Personally, I don't care. I'm healthier, and that's the goal. People who don't like the way I look simply don't have to look.

Yes. You said it better, Plumper looks healthier. It's not women. it's men too. Last weeks' Biggest Loser episode had a gret example. Jerry I think. He lots lots of weight but looked a LOT older.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been my personal experience as I've gotten a lot of comments about how much younger I look now that I've lost weight and I'm 47. I also agree that many of the posted success stories tell the same tale.

9114468.png
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look older now that I've dropped weight. But I might be crazy. I'm only 24, People assume I'm 29 ish.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I agree. I look much older having lost weight.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I also agree. I may be healthier but my face looks older. And I miss my tight younger looking skin.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think when you are younger, lets say younger than your mid 40's you do look older when you are heavier, so many pictures show this in the success pages....

That said, I'm 53 and after just 27 pound loss which puts me at a great healthy weight, the wrinkles in my skin became more apparent.....so for me losing didn't make me look any younger but it sure makes me feel 21!!!

All in how you want to look at it I suppose!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I believe if you do it slowly, maintain a good workout regimen and eat your protein and nutritious foods that you can lose a significant amount of weight without too much damage to your skin. It's when you do it at an accelerated level that you get all the saggy skin, no matter how old you are. Just like everyone on the biggest loser but especially Jerry, it was just too fast for his body to adjust to.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and yes my face is more wrinkly and my arms are a bit also, BUT I haven't got double chins any more and my figure is not so matronly, so it balances out.

GG
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options

Yes. You said it better, Plumper looks healthier. It's not women. it's men too. Last weeks' Biggest Loser episode had a gret example. Jerry I think. He lots lots of weight but looked a LOT older.

This may be true, but the Biggest Loser contestants are losing weight at an extremely fast rate, and their skin does not have a chance to change gradually with their weight loss. Do it the healthy, slow rate that is recommended here and the skin will look much better.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

So, will you still be participating on MFP?
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, will you still be participating on MFP?
    [/quote]

rofl....