Soo upset

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
So I've been swimming lots lately and an old acquaintance swims the same nights I do. She cuts hair... well I've been trying to save money and she offered to do it for $10 since she has her certificate and does it out of her house for friends and family... Well what a mistake that turned out to be.

My hair was long, about 1/3 of the way down my back. I was trying to get it really long. I told her I wanted to keep the length, and just needed a trim on the ends and if she could please put shorter layers around the top of my hair to make it look fuller. Well, I came out of it with over half my hair gone. Now my hair doesn't even touch my shoulders. I am so upset. Of course being the non-confrontational person that I am I was like 'mhmm it looks fine, thank-you' but I am so soooo upset!

Replies

• jdelisle
    Options
    So I've been swimming lots lately and an old acquaintance swims the same nights I do. She cuts hair... well I've been trying to save money and she offered to do it for $10 since she has her certificate and does it out of her house for friends and family... Well what a mistake that turned out to be.

My hair was long, about 1/3 of the way down my back. I was trying to get it really long. I told her I wanted to keep the length, and just needed a trim on the ends and if she could please put shorter layers around the top of my hair to make it look fuller. Well, I came out of it with over half my hair gone. Now my hair doesn't even touch my shoulders. I am so upset. Of course being the non-confrontational person that I am I was like 'mhmm it looks fine, thank-you' but I am so soooo upset!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    That suck's when a hairdresser doesn't listen to what you want. :explode:

I'm sure it looks better then you think, but it's still a drag she didn't listen to you. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.... I am sorry.
    :flowerforyou:
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    arrgh,I hate that. I had the same problem a few years ago when my girl was on maternity leave so I went somewhere else.. the guy cut my hair into this horrible layered mess and I felt so ugly. It did take a while to grow back, but just remember.. it will grow back. I went back to my original stylist about 6 months later and she couldn't believe the mess my hair was in, but she soon fixed it the best she could :happy:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    You should always give them a number. Like say "I just want about half an inch off the ends and then a little more in the front"

I learned that the hard way too.
  • CThorne48
    Options
    That just happened to me too! But I had a lot less hair for her to work with (top of my shoulders). I think I look like a boy now and it definitely made my self esteem SUPER LOW. The good news is that hair grows, and the shorter it is the faster it feels like its growing. :-)
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options

I would of so have said something! She needs to know that she screwed up. Would you have said something if it were a stranger?
  • jdelisle
    Options

I would of so have said something! She needs to know that she screwed up. Would you have said something if it were a stranger?

I probably would have said something had it of been a stranger, but just because I know her I didn't want things to be awkward. I'm sure the cut would be nice on someone else, I'm just so shocked because it's completely not what I asked for, and I loved having long hair. I almost expected her to be like 'I thought this would like nicer' or something to explain the difference in length but she really did think that was just a trim! Like a foot of hair, just a trim!

Lesson learned though, never get your hair cut from someone who doesn't currently work in a salon when you are not directly in front of a mirror.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    jdelisle wrote: »

I say shave it off an start over
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So me i grow out my hair an donate it . To wigs for kids. I asked her after donation. If i could get one of those long on top an shaving on sides. One side was higher then the other. So i ended up doing my own hair, after my free hair cut. An i would like to think i did a better hair cut. I also cut my exes hair. She wanted her dreadlocks off an wanted shaved in back longer on top. I like cutting hair
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    jdelisle wrote: »

I say shave it off an start over

Great advice on a post from '09