Just excercised for the first time in months

Options
I feel pathetic. I am 19 years old and I just exercised for the first time in over a year. I felt like death. How did anyone overcome this inital feeling?

Replies

• rochey1098
    Options
    Eat something, drink lots of water, rest, do it again... eventually you'll wonder what the fuss is about :smile:
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Just keep thinking about your goal! It does get easier :D
    Once it becomes habit,you don't even have to think about it! You're building a healthier you; stick with it love, you CAN do this!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    By doing it again and again until it felt right...then increased it :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,969 Member
    Options
    Start slow. If you want to run, check out C25k.
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ha after awhile you will love working out and it will be addictive to hit the gym :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's like flossing your teeth. It hurts at first, but then you get used to it and it eventually makes you feel better.
  • Julieothree
    Julieothree Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should be proud that you got up and did it! It will get easier!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about a year. I still kinda hate it. it is routine and all, but i kinda hate it. My hubby, who is in pretty good shape, or at least WAS in awesome shape in the past, said something the other day that totally blew my mind. he said, basically, that you're supposed to feel like death but the part that gets better is how fast you recover. I had no idea... i just thought I was miserably out of shape (maybe I still am). Anyway, it totally changed my perspective. :) Keep it up.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! The first one is the hardest, trust me. Keep at it!
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    Awesome!

That you feel like death is great, it means you worked that body!! Do it again tomorrow!! We all started the same way, and many times we may lay in bed and think of excuses not to, sometimes I've wasted a day dreading having to exercise only to find I feel guilty and ****ty and could have just had it done.

Just getting up and doing it is a big step towards a happier you. You are going to be so glad you took the time for yourself, and it Will get easier. Heck you are going to love it in no time, you're going to look forward to it, and notice how your body is getting stronger, faster, energetic. and you are Happy!! You didn't take the easy road, you worked that body!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    the first one after a long hiatus always sucks. so the solution is - no more long hiatuses :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough so you have the energy to workout, and just keep going! it gets better with time! and make sure you aren't pushing yourself too hard, it's okay to start slow and work your way up!
  • MarynEve
    MarynEve Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it =) Some days you still feel like death, but it'll get to be less and less often and for less of a length of time. The first time I went to a Zumba class I thought I was going to die lol, but now its not so hard.
    Also, I see you're from Kutztown- I'm from Easton!
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Even though you feel like death, don't you also feel good about yourself for working out? Just stay focused on your accomplishments and that will motivate you to keep going. There are so many times I have the "this really sucks" attitude while I'm working out, but I feel so good about myself afterwards that's what keeps me going.
  • TrimThinTonedTight
    Options
    I feel the same way!
    I've tinkered around and I find that circuit training works best for me. Although this is pretty slow. (Walk at 4mph for 20 mins, bike at 7mph for 20 mins, elliptical trainer for 10 mins, and walking up stairs for 10 mins.

I burned like 300 calories today I believe doing that. This is compared to 210 when just walking and going up stairs for an hour. Plus it helps with the sore muscles.

My favorite thing to do is swim because it doesn't feel like working out at all. Same with team sports. But first I need to lose the pounds to keep up with the fun stuff.

Find something you love and it helps during the work out!