Can't meet my calorie goal

Options
2»

Replies

• lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    I never eat my burned cals back. Not on purpose anyway! I consider it wiggle room if I go over 1200 cals

I like that. There are some days I do go over, especially on my rest day.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I also got fat by having 2 kids. I had 6 months of bed rest with my 2nd because I have cancer. We can give excuses as to why we ate like *kitten* all day long. We can give excuses as to why we can't meet our calorie goals... which is equally unhealthy... all day long, too. I've been there. What it comes down to is this: You know what you have to do. Now just f*ing do it.
    My motto is "The only person who can stand in my way is me, and I can take her!". Food doesn't stand in your way.... you do.

Maybe I come off as brash, but I'm not telling you anything I don't also tell myself.
  • ash4760
    ash4760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I am under my calories one day, I don't feel bad if I go over the next day. I run 4-6 miles a few days per week. There is no way I can eat all these calories back, so I just "bank" them for days I don't run. These days I am usually over my calories a little, so this makes me not stress about it.
  • lml1042
    Options
    I also got fat by having 2 kids. I had 6 months of bed rest with my 2nd thanks to having cancer. We can give excuses as to why we ate like *kitten* all day long. We can give excuses as to why we can't meet our calorie goals... which is equally unhealthy... all day long, too. I've been there. What it comes down to is this: You know what you have to do. Now just f*ing do it.
    My motto is "The only person who can stand in my way is me, and I can take her!". Food doesn't stand in your way.... you do.

Maybe I come off as brash, but I'm not telling you anything I don't also tell myself.

Don't worry, you're not offending me or coming off as brash (at least not to me). I just don't want to eat if I'm already stuffed to the brim. Thanks for the advice. I think when I eat things like almonds I need to have a full serving rather than half and maybe get a better protein powder as well.
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have a hard time reaching my cals some days, and other days I have a hard time staying under! I don't workout most days until night time, so I don't like to eat my calories back until I know how many I will burn. If I'm under, I will eat a snack until I'm at or close to at least 1200 net calories. If I'm still hungry I'll eat til I hit my 1470 goal, but I definitely wont stuff myself to get there. It makes me feel sick and sluggish. So I think as long as you hit 1200 net you are fine, since any intake under that is considered VLC and not safe. Try a protein shake if you're a hundred or so short! :)
  • lml1042
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have a hard time reaching my cals some days, and other days I have a hard time staying under! I don't workout most days until night time, so I don't like to eat my calories back until I know how many I will burn. If I'm under, I will eat a snack until I'm at or close to at least 1200 net calories. If I'm still hungry I'll eat til I hit my 1470 goal, but I definitely wont stuff myself to get there. It makes me feel sick and sluggish. So I think as long as you hit 1200 net you are fine, since any intake under that is considered VLC and not safe. Try a protein shake if you're a hundred or so short! :)
    I feel the same way! I get sluggish and I can't stand the full feeling. My protein powder sucks though. It's very low in calories (50 cals per scoop) and pretty low in protein (8gr). Def. have to get a better powder.
  • 340Fish
    340Fish Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    >8
    snip
    I probably won't meet my calorie goal today unless for some reason I'm famished after the gym tonight, but it eventually balances out with days I eat too many calories.
    snip
    8<

I like that phylosophy. Probably a much less painful way to manage weight!
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options

If veggies are filling you up too fast, move on to cheese burgers and ice cream.

So your advice to someone trying to clean up their diet and lose weight is to eat a load of crap and blow their macros out of the water(fat and sugar), just to make sure they don't fall under their calorie goal one day.

Somehow, I can't see that as being a healthy habit for anyone on here to form.

Most people aren't just on here to lose weight, they're also trying to eat cleaner and healthier. When you start doing this, from what you were doing, it is very difficult to meet the calories at times. And no, the answer isn't to just eat some crap. Other people gave good suggestions as to calorie dense foods that wouldn't set someone back on the slippery slope of eating rubbish daily.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If you are NOT hungry , do not eat! Do not listen to a computer telling you how many calories you should have. I know when I had burned 700 calories, all I wanted to do was relax and drink water. Food was the last thing on my mind that day.

If you have eaten a sufficient amount of calories (whatever your sufficient number is, whether it be 1200 or 1500), then I wouldn't eat unless I was hungry.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I exercise to my hearts content and some days I don't eat all my calories back but I always make sure I eat at least 1200 calories. The last thing I want is to go on starvation mode.

But as long as I'm over 1200 I don't worry myself. And when you do exercise exceedingly it's those times where you can indulge a little just make sure your still under your calorie goal.

Of course we want to learn to eat healthier, but I know with me if I completely restrict myself I end up hating being on a diet. If I'm allowed to eat things in moderation, I think that's still healthy. Learning to eat junk food properly and not overdoing it is important as well
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    I feel the same way! I get sluggish and I can't stand the full feeling. My protein powder sucks though. It's very low in calories (50 cals per scoop) and pretty low in protein (8gr). Def. have to get a better powder.

I drink the EAS Carb control shakes. They're pre-mixed in these foil looking cartons, and they don't taste too bad. I get the chocolate ones. They are a little expensive though (like 4 bucks for 4 shakes, if that's even considered expensive to others lol), but I use my Walbucks at Walgreens to buy them. So they're basically free. They don't taste too bad, a little chalky at first, but I usually add my fiber supplement or my Mirilax (cherry flavored) and it makes them taste pretty good! Plus they're only about a 100 calories, and you can take them with you if you need them on the go! Only recommendation is to drink them cold. I don't recommend tasting them warm lol. Good luck!
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

If veggies are filling you up too fast, move on to cheese burgers and ice cream.

So your advice to someone trying to clean up their diet and lose weight is to eat a load of crap and blow their macros out of the water(fat and sugar), just to make sure they don't fall under their calorie goal one day.

Most people aren't just on here to lose weight, they're also trying to eat cleaner and healthier. When you start doing this, from what you were doing, it is very difficult to meet the calories at times. And no, the answer isn't to just eat some crap. Other people gave good suggestions as to calorie dense foods that wouldn't set someone back on the slippery slope of eating rubbish daily.

Yes. If it is absolutely impossible to consume healthy low cal foods in large enough portions to meet your calorie goals, than one would need to turn to less healthy more calorie rich foods to fill that void. It is better to eat like crap than not to eat at all. Though cheeseburgers and icecream are an extreme example used to make a point, there are plenty of less filling, higher calorie foods one may turn to in order to meet their calorie goals. Under eating is bad for your health. Period.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Why are cheeseburgers and ice cream a "load of crap"?
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Because they just are. There is more to worry about than calories and weight. Those foods come with high sodium and high cholesterol and high sugar content as will as high saturated fat content and even trans fat in some cases.

I understand that folks who are training for sports or body building go on specialized diets that require them to eat these types of things all the time, but don't think for one second that they do it because it improves their health.

You can be rail thin with low body fat % and still have heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. I think everyone's ultimate goal should be to eat better, cleaner, and healthier foods. Save the cheeseburgers, etc. for your occasional treat.
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    Lol, funny you say that, I just had a bowl of frozen yogurt. I've been at this for 2 weeks and I'm noticing I just can't eat as much.

I'm in the same position after just 6 days lol... I'm simply not really that hungry any more and have managed to switch from things like crisps/white bread (the filling bits of meals!) to ryvita and wholemeal.... i've had bacon and eggs and soup ryvita yoghurt, honey on toast and feel quite satisfied today... and i've not even done any exercise today either. and i'm still under by like 170 cals to hit 1,270 for the day.

I actually dont thnk in 6 days i've actually met my net intake yet.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Because they just are. There is more to worry about than calories and weight. Those foods come with high sodium and high cholesterol and high sugar content as will as high saturated fat content and even trans fat in some cases.

I understand that folks who are training for sports or body building go on specialized diets that require them to eat these types of things all the time, but don't think for one second that they do it because it improves their health.

You can be rail thin with low body fat % and still have heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. I think everyone's ultimate goal should be to eat better, cleaner, and healthier foods. Save the cheeseburgers, etc. for your occasional treat.

You're being a bit of an alarmist. These foods are not a "load of crap". Everything in moderation. The only thing in your first para that I'd actually be worried about is trans fat. Sat fat is still required in the diet, and the whole sat fat - chol - CHD link is on precarious footing. Why should I be scared of the sugar in ice cream?? Yes, a thin person "can" suffer from the ailments you mentioned in your last paragraph but that's because many of them have other factors in play ie. heredity.

I think my point is the foods themselves are not crap. It's how people choose to consume them that determines how they'll affect the person. Would I allow my diet to consist entirely of quarter pounders and ice cream? Of course not. But that doesn't make them "crap" and I personally find it offensive when someone labels food I eat occasionally as "crap" or "garbage" (which others have done).
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Besides, what's wrong with eating crap? My dog does it all the time!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There is nothing alarmist about what I wrote at all. I didn't say anything about being scared of certain foods. In fact, if you actually read what I write you'll see that my last line says to save it for your occasional treat. This is your position as well, no? That is exactly what one should do unless one is on a specialized diet plan (and hopefully under the guidance of a good nutritionist).

I think we do ourselves a disservice by trying to sugar coat how bad this types of foods can be if not consumed in moderation. I eat the occasional burger myself. As a matter of fact, friday is burger night in my house. I have a tub of ice cream in the fridge right now. I'm not judging you, I don't think there is anything wrong with the occasional treat. I just prefer to call a spade a spade.

Suggesting that someone eat these types of foods to rectify a daily calorie shortfall (as was previously suggested in this thread) is, quite frankly, irresponsible.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    *head desk*
    You can't meet your calorie goal? How did you get fat to begin with?
    Paradoxically, your original problem is also the solution to your current problem.
    Ready for this?

1.) Put food in mouth
    2.) Chew food
    3.) Swallow
    4.) Repeat until calorie goal has been met.

Well that sounds quite rude! Calling people fat isn't going to help anyone!

But I'd suggest that if you're having trouble eating back all of your exercise calories, don't burn so many calories exercising so you won't have to eat as much food. It might take a little longer to lose the weight but still. And there's nothing wrong with not hitting your goal everyday, just try to come close to it. Fiber does help you stay fuller for longer periods of time, so you could even cut back on that a little so you're a little more hungry when it comes time to eat.