Does Strength Training Count?

Question. I work out almost everyday. To lose the weight I need, I have to exercise 90 minutes of cardio per day. Thats fine. But....is that 90 minutes of cardio only and then weight training on top of that? :huh:

I just find that I can meet the calories I have to burn (about 600 I think) in less than an hour at the gym. I know that I need to keep up the time with the cardio because its good for me but can I count strength training in that 90 minutes or is that seperate?

Anyway, if there is someone out there than can shed some light on this......

Thanks
Charlene :bigsmile:

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Question. I work out almost everyday. To lose the weight I need, I have to exercise 90 minutes of cardio per day. Thats fine. But....is that 90 minutes of cardio only and then weight training on top of that? :huh:

I just find that I can meet the calories I have to burn (about 600 I think) in less than an hour at the gym. I know that I need to keep up the time with the cardio because its good for me but can I count strength training in that 90 minutes or is that seperate?

Anyway, if there is someone out there than can shed some light on this......

Thanks
    Charlene :bigsmile:
  • What strength training does is build muscle. It won't make you lose weight. In fact, muscle weighs more than fat so you might not lose a lot. However, it is recommended if you want to build your muscle, but you don't need it to just lose weight. Also, if you are still concerned about how much you weigh, try and take your own measurements. That is always a better indicator as to how you are doing. My dad lost weight and never stepped on a scale the whole time. So, you don't need it, but if you feel you do, then use both.

If you don't know how to take your meaurements here is how:

1. Bust -- around widest part of chest
    2. Waist-- around the smallest part of your mid-torso (this is usually near your bellybutton, but its different for everyone) Take note that the waistline of your pants is not always going to be your actual waist, most pants go more for the hips now.
    3. Hips-- (we all hate this one...) around the widest part of your butt. It's going to be terrifying at first (mine was) but just realize this is why we are doing what we're doing.

Make sure you are wearing light clothing (or if you are alone just your underclothes) and that you are standing up. Put the measuring tape around your body and make sure that it isn't twisted.
    I hope this helps and Good Luck!
  • What strength training does is build muscle. It won't make you lose weight. In fact, muscle weighs more than fat so you might not lose a lot. However, it is recommended if you want to build your muscle, but you don't need it to just lose weight. Also, if you are still concerned about how much you weigh, try and take your own measurements. That is always a better indicator as to how you are doing. My dad lost weight and never stepped on a scale the whole time. So, you don't need it, but if you feel you do, then use both.

If you don't know how to take your meaurements here is how:

1. Bust -- around widest part of chest
    2. Waist-- around the smallest part of your mid-torso (this is usually near your bellybutton, but its different for everyone) Take note that the waistline of your pants is not always going to be your actual waist, most pants go more for the hips now.
    3. Hips-- (we all hate this one...) around the widest part of your butt. It's going to be terrifying at first (mine was) but just realize this is why we are doing what we're doing.

Make sure you are wearing light clothing (or if you are alone just your underclothes) and that you are standing up. Put the measuring tape around your body and make sure that it isn't twisted.
    I hope this helps and Good Luck!
  • racrma
    racrma Posts: 1
    Weight training is part of your exercise activity. It is good to include it; weight training will build muscle, but as muscle mass increases so does your metabolism. What that means is that you'll burn more calories even when not exercising.

It is also beneficial because it increases bone density.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I know that strength training is good for me, but I don't usually feel like I"m actually burning calories. SO, I've started going to a circuit class at the gym. We do 2 sets of weights, 1 hard cardio/toning exercise, next weight, more cardio, etc. for 45 minutes. It lets me get my strength training in and I feel like I'm "working out" too.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Well here is the good news for you, When you are doing weight training you do not burn a HUGE amount of cals, HOWEVER weight training starts your muscles burning fat, and they burn fat a lot LONGER then an increased heart rate. This is why it is inprotant to have both in your workout.
    --Diann...
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    The main reason that we are told to do both strength training and cardio is because they work together. Cardio burns calories and in most cases burns fat. Strength training builds muscle to help prevent injury as we intensify our cardio workouts and increases muscles which in turn helps increase metabolism (not as much as many think it does). They work together. So to answer your question, cardio is cardio and strength training is just that...no it won't count towards your cardio but does work well in conjunction with it.
  • I had a session with a personal trainer a few weeks ago, and he told me that strength trainng increases your metabolism for 24-72 hrs, whereas cardio keeps it up for 4-6 hrs. It was suggested that I do cardio, then lift weights for at least 20 minutes. This way I'd still burn fat while lifting. I wouldn't burn as much fat, but I would burn fat. 90 min/day is a lot! Please be sure to listen to your body. If you overdo it, your could injure yourself, or lower your immunity and get sick. I've recently done both! You sound motivated though. That's wonderful!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Okay, I am here to save you from the inevitable burnout that comes from 90 minutes of cardio a day:

You don't have to do it! Believe me! I've done it, and it was unnecessary and unpleasant!

Strength training burns plenty of calories! Not as much as cardio, but the after-effects are greater. One lb of muscle burns 30-60 calories per day at rest. 10 lbs burns 300-600 calories a day at rest! Strength training increases your metabolism by adding muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space and is more firm.

Cardiovascular activity improves the condition of your CV system and helps you create a caloric deficit through activity rather than extremely low calories (which have a negative hormonal impact). It will aid you in reducing body fat and increasing aerobic endurance.

Cardio makes you a smaller version of you. Strength training makes you an entirely different version of you. It's important to emphasize both equally. :smile: