drinking and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    There is def a negative though - I had a friend in college who was dieting and said it was saving him money because the "less he eats the less he has to drink to get drunk". He meant it as a joke, but there are definitely people who go by that thought process

I've heard of that, I think it's coined 'drunkarexia' or something?

I always eat before going out unless going for dinner but I have noticed from cutting back on alcohol, my exercise (mostly running) and healthy diet that it doesn't take as much for me to 'feel drunk' anymore. :drinker: ...or it could just be old age as the hangovers seem to be a lot worse too.... ; )
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight and drink once or twice a week. but its no biggy. It's a lifestyle change for me not a "diet:"- restricting myself from the things I enjoy would just mess me up and I would probably end up giving up on weight loss. All in moderation.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I drink liquor once a week (occasionally twice) NO BEER for me
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    On a birthday or some special occassion, I'm known to have a few (or more lol). But on a day to day basis, maybe a drink or two every two weeks. But that's normal for me, I haven't made an effort to cut down just for weight loss because I wasn't drinking much to begin with. But of course for someone who drinks every day, or multiple drinks several times a week, it would make sense to cut down.
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1-3 vodka/water with lots of lime about 3 times a week at night to substitute my former habit haha and sure of course alcohol isn't healthy but it doesn't give me the crazy munchies like the other one does...in fact the water (sometimes club soda) fills me up soooo much and I'm asleep before I can even think about munching :)
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Morgan and diet coke, only 60 calories.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll say it. I love beer. I love good beer. I make beer. I make good beer.

I look like a guy who loves beer. That's why I'm here, so I can continue to enjoy good beer without getting fatter.

That said, I've been drinking less since I started with MFP, and I do find myself sometimes having a bourbon or lower-calorie beer instead of a huge 450 calorie double IPA, but I certainly haven't given up beer, nor do I plan to.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink on the weekend with my boyfriend one night. I will have a few shots or a mixed drink or two but nothing overboard :)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine on the weekends and keep up my weight loss by exercising. Sometimes I even exercise while drinking; for example I live in Florida and last Saturday I went down the beach and rode my bike 80 minutes. Then I stopped and had some wine. I also worked out by walking 3 miles to Leslie Sansone before I left the house. I didn't exercise enough to counter all my drinking calories but good enough. I have never stopped drinking since adopting this lifestyle change and I've lost 41 pounds. I only drink on the weekends. I only drink red wine because of it's health benefits. Good luck :drinker:

There is actually a drinking group on MFP for wine drinkers called Cheap Wine.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink occasionally too. I used to drink a ton and it did contribute to my weight gain! I do keep it under control now. If I drink more than 3 or 4, I go to bed. I found out if I don't do it that way I want to eat and eat and eat!! I also work harder at the gym those days:drinker:
  • erica714
    erica714 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll say it. I love beer. I love good beer. I make beer. I make good beer.

I look like a guy who loves beer. That's why I'm here, so I can continue to enjoy good beer without getting fatter.

That said, I've been drinking less since I started with MFP, and I do find myself sometimes having a bourbon or lower-calorie beer instead of a huge 450 calorie double IPA, but I certainly haven't given up beer, nor do I plan to.

We make beer too :drinker: