1200 cal without exercising??

Options
How does anyone eat only 1200 calories a day without exercising or eating back their calories burned? I'm only asking because I can't seem to do it myself, but I'm pretty sure I have a pulled muscle in my side/back that keeps getting worse each day as I work out and I really think I need to get the exercising a break for a few days or a week so that I don't injure myself worse... but only eating 1200 calories seems impossible to me. Anyone out there eating only that much a day and doing well? I need advice on foods to eat or what helps everyone else stay under their calorie goal because I usually work out every day and eat back most of those calories...

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    sure - i find it quite easy.

Eat nothing from a packet, as much fresh produce as possible - salads with lean meat, fruit and whoelgrains.... do that for a few days you will notice the difference :)
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I did it for 40 days and cheated badly maybe 4 days (including Thanksgiving).... for some reason now I'm finding it harder to eat so little but on my exercise days I eat all my exercise calories so that's prob why I struggle non-running days.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah I found out the hard way - processed foods just aren't worth the calories cuz they barely fill up
    sure - i find it quite easy.

Eat nothing from a packet, as much fresh produce as possible - salads with lean meat, fruit and whoelgrains.... do that for a few days you will notice the difference :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I'm having trouble staying under my goal. I don't know how it's done with only 1200. I eat tons of the fresh fruits and veggies but I don't feel full unless I eat a carb like brown rice or potatoes or such and those calories send me over the edge. :( Good luck!!
  • KimberlyChubs
    Options
    Yes! Try a banana with peanut butter for breakfast. Cereal for lunch. & Anything <500 Calorie meal for dinner. Then you have room for a 200 calorie dessert. Probably around 1000 calories.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while, lost a few pounds but It was stressful and I was always hungry, so in the end I upped my calories and started working out for a few minutes a day.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for awhile, but it would be hard for me now that I'm used to eating more since I get to use exercise calories. If 1200 just seems too restrictive for you, you could always manually set your calories at something like your BMR. BMR is what you would burn just laying in bed all day. So as long as you actually get out of bed and do something during the day, you'd still be at a moderate deficit. And if you DO have to stay in bed all day, you would not gain any weight as BMR is exactly what you need if you are bed-ridden.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    my calories are i think 1350, because i'm going for a slower weight loss this time around and exercise. But a few months ago i was doing to 1200, and it became easy. It took me quite some time to get used to it, but once I did I ahd no problem being very close to my 1200 calorie a day goal. It takes time to train your mind and body I think to expect that, but it only takes a couple days to train it back to expecting more! Like others said, eat as much non processed food as possible
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I did it for 6 months, it can be done. Give your body some time to adjust. Eat high protein/high fiber foods, they will keep you full longer.

If you are still really hungry, up your calories. It's not the end of the world.

Good luck!
  • rochey1098
    Options
    breakfast: wholegrain such as porridge or brown toast
    lunch: jacket potato with cottage cheese and/or beans
    dinner: Lean meat with plenty of nice vegetables

Watch your portion sizes on anything other than the vegetables and it's fine. I know what you mean though, I much prefer to exercise and eat nicer things

Edit: don't forget your vitamin supplement :tongue:
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do not eat enough. I find it difficult to eat 1200 cals a day. In the past it was because I skipped breakfast, didn't snack & had small lu & processed dinners. Now, I eat mostly veggies, whole foods, yogurt, nuts, etc. & drink at least 8 glasses of water. I'm hardly ever hungry & usually force myself to eat to get over the 1200 cals. I exercise at least 3 days a week and I do not have an active job (I think that helps me not crave food as much because I use fewer calories). Personally, I think sitting on my butt all day & eating the wrong foods made my butt expand & not eating enough food made me store it as fat. Totally off topic, but thought I'd throw that out there.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I don't have any trouble staying under 1290...in fact I sometimes have 2-300 calories left in a day and have to find something to fill it when I am not hungry.

I agree...it's the type of foods that make a difference. Cut out any non-essentials like mayo and butter and never drink any calories. This leaves room for more food later.
  • popkornterri
    popkornterri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Mbooker7, It is very hard when you are used to carbs. I love carbs and crunchy food like chip....bad bad bad, so I am try to cut out the bad a little each day and if I have to have something i try to eat just a little followed by a big glass of water. Best of luck to you. Keep going......
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was hard when I was doing it. When I started trying to lose weight, I simply cut portions and then I started logging to see on average how much I was eating. Ended up being 1200-1300 calories and then signed up for MFP and that's what they suggested so it wasn't a big change for me. Now, my base is 1370 so I can eat anywhere from 1370 to about 2000 calories if I exercise.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. I was always eating back my calories, but then I had no choice but to work out everyday. I adjusted my goals to lose 1lb a week instead of 1.5lbs a week. That gave 120 calories extra to work with. Now I don't feel so pressured to stay under 1200 and have to work out everyday. I just changed it earlier today, I hope it helps. I already feel a little less stressed. I eat a lot of fresh foods, but it was still hard.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah if I avoid processed food completely I can eat 1220 easily... I'm thinking of going all raw for this reason cuz hunger sucks
    I do not eat enough. I find it difficult to eat 1200 cals a day. In the past it was because I skipped breakfast, didn't snack & had small lu & processed dinners. Now, I eat mostly veggies, whole foods, yogurt, nuts, etc. & drink at least 8 glasses of water. I'm hardly ever hungry & usually force myself to eat to get over the 1200 cals. I exercise at least 3 days a week and I do not have an active job (I think that helps me not crave food as much because I use fewer calories). Personally, I think sitting on my butt all day & eating the wrong foods made my butt expand & not eating enough food made me store it as fat. Totally off topic, but thought I'd throw that out there.
  • SeanaG42
    Options
    so just what can you eat thats not full of calories??
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I currently eat about 1500 calories with or without exercise, but 1200 can be done. The key is picking the right foods that are low in calorie and eat them spread out throughout the day. You can eat 300 calorie meals 4 times a day. Breakfast is easy to get in under 300, lunch isn't too bad either, dinner can be difficult, and 300 calories of snacks. Set up a timeline. Mine is breakfast 6-7 am, lunch 11-12, snack 3-4, dinner 7-8, or around there. The key is spreading out your protein which will keep you full throughout the day and drinking water that helps. A lean piece of steak will range from 40-50 calories per ounce, Chicken will range from 30-40 calories per ounce. Limit you carbs to 4 servings 100 calories and 15 grams are a serving or around there. Veggies are low in calories and I know dannon light and fit is about 80 calories and can count as a dairy. limit to 2 a day. I only know this cause my wife is doing it now.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do 1300 calories/day. That seems to be easily manageable for me. I try to walk or ride my bike every day but if you think you've pulled something, you need to let it heal.
  • kearlnp
    kearlnp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    eat higher end foods such as greek ypgurt, it has double protein and low calorie plus it fills you up!! Protein shakes, lots of veggies. Salmon, chicken, turkey. Once yuou do it for 3 weeks it will be hard to eat "bad" because your palette won't appreciate the tastes. You should be able to walk 30 minutes a day.