Any Duathlon people out there?

Options
I have decided to do a duathlon this September, any training tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• harlip
    harlip Posts: 21
    Options
    I have decided to do a duathlon this September, any training tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    That would be running and biking right? I am a runner but would love to cycle, but dang the bikes can be spendy. Sorry I can't give you any cycling advise but if you have any running questions maybe I could help. I ran my first full last year and plan on doing another this year. I enjoy doing many half marathons a year. Happy training.
  • harlip
    Options
    Yes, it is a run then bike then run again. Yes bikes can be a little costly, I just bought a reasonably priced bike for now and if I find that I like it I will upgrade. I am pretty much starting from scratch but I felt that Sept is far enough away that i would have enough time to get into good enough shape to complete it.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I did a duathlon last year, by accident. :laugh: It was supposed to be a triathlon, but the swim was cancelled due to thunder/ lightning. Anyway...

Are you running/ biking now? I would suggest doing some BRICK training (bike/ then immediately running) to get your legs used to the feeling. It is strange at first and your legs will feel like Jello!!

What distance are you doing? I have a road bike, but did my dua/ tri last year on a hybrid. Let me know if you have any questions!

Jess
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Brick workouts, make sure you get them in.

For the uninitiated a brick is when you do two or more exercises back to back. In the case of the duathlon I would ride your bike then run, since that is the hardest transition. You really want to learn how your body will react to running after being on the bike and riding hard.

Next, practice your transitions. If you are riding in the same shoes you run in then these will be a breeze.

Practice either running in cycling shorts, or riding in running shorts. Some companies make a multisport garment but unless you think you have a future in multisport I would say save your money.

If this is a long event, where you think you will be racing more than an hour you need a nutrition plan, figure out what you can eat now, before race day. Never try anything new on race day.

HAVE FUN!!! These events tend to be a blast, you can get some good schwag, and especially at the back of the pack there is a lot of encouragement and joking.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    Plan 3 run workouts, 3 bike workouts. Doing a speedwork day of each sport, an easy day of each sport, and a long day of each sport. 2 strength training days. Some days you'll have to do more than one training. Bricks like mentioned are very important. Have a great time training. Finish the race with a smile on your face:happy:
  • harlip
    Options
    I am currently only working out at the gym it is still a little to cold out for me to be out on a bike right no. I did do 2 miles on the eliptical then 5 miles on the stationary bike tonight at the gym. I guess that would be the closest to a brick workout that I have done so far.