What is thin?

Today I looked in the mirror and finally decided I am not fat because I looked good (with clothes on at least).

But now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even know what thin is.

I had thought I am thin because I'm a size 6 jeans (loose size 6) and I'm a size small shirts, and I when there are 3 of us who are going to sit in the back seats of a car, I'm asked to sit in the middle because I'm the smallest. HOWEVER, my thighs still touch. My arms aren't toned - in fact, they're still kinda big. My tummy isn't flat. When I press my head down to my chest, there is still a bit of double chin. So...does this make me fat? I don't feel fat, but my body is nowhere near as thin as any of the girls in the magazines or any of the hot girls you see at the gym.

I used to think "thin" was being at a healthy weight, but it seems that is so not the case.

So, what is thin? And what is fat?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I personally have an issue with polar extremes, so I don't agree with the terms 'thin' and 'fat'. Even if you use the terms, every person is somewhere on a continuum, not in one camp or the other...

That said, my practical advice to you would be to do some weight training, they will take some of the areas you are referring to, such as your arms, and give them some muscle tone. Don't worry, you wont get huge :wink: , but you will see a positive difference.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    That's a great question...

It's probably subjective! I have to remind myself that it does NOT mean happiness. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of that and I have to remind myself that being happy is a personal choice, and not something that a low calorie diet can fix : ).

That probably didn't help at all ha ha, but I loved that you asked the question!
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    I don't think the definition of thin matters, everyone's definition is different. I think that as long as you are comfortable with yourself, you have obviously been doing something about it. Personally I am so happy being 30 lbs lighter that the toned thing will concern me once I am a few dozen lbs lighter. Don't beat yourself up, you look great! :D
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    I would say thin is when your BMI is under 18.5. But then again, the BMI calculations are a bunch of crap...so I guess it's really just a subjective term.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,347 Member
    It sounds like you are perfect but not airbrushed.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    thin, to me is as disturbing as saying someone is skinny. To me, those words are ugly words. I prefer fit or healthy, personally. It sounds like you are fit and on your way to healthy.

If you are concerned about your thighs, lunges, squats, bike, walking and arms, weights or push ups help. You are gorgeous, by the way.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Thin is a matter of opinion and what we see. However, a better question is what is healthy and physically fit?! Sadly, being thin means nothing if unhealthy. I have seen thin people have heart attackshigh blood pressure etc. So it is the total package not just size although 'Hollywood" will make you think so.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    my thighs still touch.
    My arms aren't toned - in fact, they're still kinda big.
    My tummy isn't flat. When I press my head down to my chest, there is still a bit of double chin.

So...does this make me fat?
    Sweety, this makes you human!

Relax, work on toning a bit. and don't go around chasing impossible ideals of models (most of which are photoshopped beyond belief)

You should be SUBJECT not OBJECT.

Your value is NOT as ornament or status object...
    If you happen to look great what a wonderful bonus, but your body is a vehicle that has to get you through the rest of your life (no trade-ins). You to take care of yourself so you can have a strong body so that you will be CAPABLE and able to DO everything that you want it to DO whether... Swimming, hiking, mowing the lawn, kayaking, rocking it in the sack, dancing, rock climbing, swinging your kids around, skiing, scuba diving, bicycling, climb trees.... whatever you want to do.

You need a healthy body to serve you, don't be a slave to how other perceive you because you'll never meet everyone's expectations.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    For a woman, I would say about 20% body fat or less is "thin".
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I would say thin is when your BMI is under 18.5. But then again, the BMI calculations are a bunch of crap...so I guess it's really just a subjective term.

In that case thin is a bad thing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    EVERYONE has a double chin when they squish their face down to their neck! It's skin. Some people's things (me!) will always touch. We're supposed to have a certain amount of body fat.

The girls in magazines don't even look like the girls in magazines before they're photoshopped out the wazoo, and that's AFTER a team of stylists, makeup artists, hairdressers, lighting experts and professional photographers spend hours on them

Do a google image search for "celebrity photoshop before and after."

https://www.google.com/search?q=celebrity+photoshop+before+and+after&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=KlE&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j0fUTv-SE8Xl0QG_tLH_AQ&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=638.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    good question!! check out staci.

here she is at 170
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.31.53-AM.jpg

on the left she is at 117, and on the right she is 131.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92907-AM.jpg

here again, on the left she's 131. on the right she is 142.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg

so what is thin? read about staci's journey here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Thin is what my wallet and my hair are.
    Fat is the pile of bills on the desk.
  • I still have about 13lbs to go until I reach my goal weight so I do plan on losing a bit more fat (hopefully in my arms and thighs), but I was just thinking that compared to other girls I see jogging at the park or wherever, I'm still fat. But compared to where I was before I'm thin.

I know I'm at a healthy weight (finally), but that doesn't make me "thin." I'm not too worried about it, it's just something I noticed :)
  • The ideal is not to look like someone in a magazine. To some people, "thin" is only those who are anorexic. You DON"T want to be that thin! Don't worry about that at all.

Instead, judge wether or not you can get up and do the things you want to do without getting out of breath or having aches and pains in your feet, ankles knees...

If the lack of tone bugs you, put on a litte muscle. (Or a lot if you want) Don't freak out if you gain a few pounds putting on muscle. It's healty weight. We shouldn't try to lose "weight" we should try to lose "fat" and gain muscle.

(39 yr old guy speaking.)
    God bless you.
    Think "Healthy" not "Thin"
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    funny, how a scale or a pair of jeans doesn't make you happy...i thought these same things would make me happy too.

I found what makes me really happy is getting stared at at the gym because I'm in the "boys" section lifting heaver than some guys over there. The rush from increasing squat weights is amazing (better than the runners high) and the toned muscles you get from lifting heavy (and EATING) is unbeatable.

I suggest lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women is my fav program and I've tried quite a few!

Good luck, but its all about getting your mind meshed with your body.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    good question!! check out staci. sorry, can't resize the pictures, they're not mine. right click on it and click "open in new window"

here she is at 170
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.31.53-AM.jpg

on the left she is at 117, and on the right she is 131.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.29.07-AM.jpg

here again, on the left she's 131. on the right she is 142.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM.jpg

so what is thin? read about staci's journey here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

LOVE THIS!!!! Totally changed my life and inspired my own proof the scale lies: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/proof-the-scale-lies-150448
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 619 Member
    n61600418_30228961_5965.jpg

I dont know how to post pictures on here, but maybe that will work?

In any case, I'm pretty sure most people would classify that as thin, but as you can see my thighs are clearly touching despite the fact that my feet are shoulder width apart, and I have had a double chin my whole life - both of those things are just who i am and nothing I can do will change them