eat more to lose more?

Options
hey guys! I have about five more pounds to lose and I've been eating a net of 1,200 calories. I've read up on the subject and some say that when you get closer to your goal weight you should eat more calories to help the last few pounds come off. I don't really understand this, but should I be eating more calories? thanks!

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes. With 5 lbs to lose, you should be targeting about .5 lb/week. If you plug that into MFP I'm sure it will give you more then 1200. This will also make your transition into maintenance easier.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Generally speaking, no. I think people are referring to the size of the calorie deficit, i.e. don't try anything silly like under 1200 net to lose 2lbs.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!

coming from a person who was in starvation mode, I 100% agree that you should eat more than 1200 calories. How much more is a question only YOU can figure out. I'd suggest starting with fat2fit.com and freedieting.com and playing around with the numbers on there (they INCLUDE exercise already). Play around with em for a week or so and see how you FEEL.

I didnt realize that you shouldnt feel hungry to lose weight.

Strength Training is also great for those last few plans--new rules of lifting for women is my favorite and i've tired so many methods (p90x, JM, etc...)

Good luck!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Search the topics already posted! You are going to get lots of differnet responses right now....When I got closer and started eatting more I started to lose again! But others will swear that eatting 1200 or even less will help you drop the last 5! Its going to depend on your body......try changing your goal and starting to increase! You should not gain if you are continuing to exercise! Again if you do a search you shoud find lots of different conversations and suggestions/opinions! You will reach your goal...you just need to find what works for you!