Sushi/Sashimi Dinner for Valentines Day

Options
Hey everyone, my honey bunny is taking me out for Sushi on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best low cal dish. I don't want to ruin all my hard work this week.
Any suggestions?:smile:

Replies

• wannabeflaca
    Options
    Hey everyone, my honey bunny is taking me out for Sushi on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best low cal dish. I don't want to ruin all my hard work this week.
    Any suggestions?:smile:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Sushi can be very diet friendly. Try to avoid any rolls with mayo or tempura...stick with the more basic rolls, nigiri and sashimi. I can't remember the website, but if you google nutritional info for sushi you can get the facts you need before your dinner.
    Hope you have a wonderful night out!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Sushi is totally fine on a diet--just don't go crazy. Just think about all those skinny Asians who eat sushi all the time and never gain an ounce. But the sushi that Asians typically eat is not the sushi that Joe the Plumber eats when his wife wants to feel adventurous and sophisticated.

Here are some tips for getting a great sushi dinner and not undoing all your hard work:

- Start with some miso soup. It's filling, low cal, and delicious.
    - Or, chew on some edamame. It's around 120 cals per half-cup, and super healthy.
    - If you see mayo (kewpie), cream cheese, or tempura, stay the hell away. They don't use that stuff in real sushi anyway; it's an American thing.
    - Choose brown rice if it's avaliable, or just (if you want to be reaaaally good) ask the chef to go easy on the rice.
    - Stick to simple rolls. Caterpillars, dragons, scorpions, and spiders are almost always loaded with calories.

Here is a great website for calorie counts on many sushi, nigiri, and sashimi pieces.
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • wannabeflaca
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou: The website is very helpful. I made a copy and will count my calories for that day.
    Now I know I am making changes. Normally if I am going out to dinner or a party I start to dread the evening then once I am there I just give in saying what the hell! The next day I end up paying gaining everything I lost and them some.
    I am also going to add some excercise calories in there. I will keep everyone posted on how my day went. If I gained anything.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Aw, nah!

All it takes to enjoy a good meal out is a little bit of planning. I've eaten at some amazing, high-end restaurants and still stayed within my calories.

Just think, if you were leading an army, would you charge in with no plan? Think of eating out as a battle against the food industry, its massive portions, and its fanaticism with oil.

- Hunt for an online menu. It might just have nutritional information, but even if not, you'll get to see what you can choose from.
    - Don't be afraid to make special orders, just be nice about it. "Light on the oil," "hold the butter," and "steamed, please" are magic words for staying lower in calories.
    - For dessert, have fresh berries or a sorbet.
    - Or, if that cheesecake is just toooooo tempting but you don't want to feel guilty, let hubby have most of it and just be sure to eat the first and last bites of it. Those are the ones you remember anyway.
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i agree on the miso soup and edamame- so good and lowcal! also seaweed salad or the salad with the delish ginger dressing. not sure how many cals in those tho-might want to check and get dressin on the side.

also go for sashimi (just the fish-no rice). then if you crave a roll or peice of fish with the rice, just sneak one off hunny bunny's plate- sushi is great for sharing!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    For me, I stick with the sushi and the edamame...but I don't weigh myself the next day, because I will be out of whack from all the sodium in the soy sauce, etc. So I try to drink lots of water with the meal...and I like to drink hot tea too! But that's just me. :wink: