BMI calculations for shorties

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for people who are under 5 foot tall when calculating BMI. It's frustrating to be in size 10's, 150 lbs and still obese. grrr:angry: I mean I know I'm a chubbo but it bothers me about it not being accurate for short folks.

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for people who are under 5 foot tall when calculating BMI. It's frustrating to be in size 10's, 150 lbs and still obese. grrr:angry: I mean I know I'm a chubbo but it bothers me about it not being accurate for short folks.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you I'm 5'3 I know your frustration :laugh: good luck
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Lynnie, two things really make me crazy on diet & fitness websites- the dreaded scale and the BMI.

Consider this: If your scale was broken and you could not calculate your BMI, where would you turn? To the mirror and your clothing. I have friends who use the scale and BMI sometimes several times per day, and it is rarely a pleasant experience for them.

I've been eating clean and exercising hard for about a month now. I can really see improvement when I look in the mirror and try on my formerly tight jeans. The bottom line for me is... if I am becoming a healthier person through a good diet and exercise, my weight doesn't matter. A better indicator would be a body fat analysis.

BTW I am a male, 5'8" and need to keep my body fat low so I don't look like a "chubbo". Even though I am curious, I have not gotten on the scale yet.
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    Lynnie, two things really make me crazy on diet & fitness websites- the dreaded scale and the BMI.

Consider this: If your scale was broken and you could not calculate your BMI, where would you turn? To the mirror and your clothing. I have friends who use the scale and BMI sometimes several times per day, and it is rarely a pleasant experience for them.

I've been eating clean and exercising hard for about a month now. I can really see improvement when I look in the mirror and try on my formerly tight jeans. The bottom line for me is... if I am becoming a healthier person through a good diet and exercise, my weight doesn't matter. A better indicator would be a body fat analysis.

BTW I am a male, 5'8" and need to keep my body fat low so I don't look like a "chubbo". Even though I am curious, I have not gotten on the scale yet.

I use the mirror alot and promised myself I would only weight myself maybe once a month. I am a shortie at 4'11 and im about 133 right now. I found a lot of satisifaction just relying on what I look like and how I feel. The BMI thing just confuses me.
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I use the mirror alot and promised myself I would only weight myself maybe once a month. I am a shortie at 4'11 and im about 133 right now. I found a lot of satisifaction just relying on what I look like and how I feel. The BMI thing just confuses me.
    I have this same problem..I'm 4'11 and weigh 199 and used to be 295..I also have a major problems tryin to get rid of the girls which are a size 44DD..So you could imagine that my weight is not poprtioned* well..(I need to learn how to spell) If anyone finds out how do calculate for us short folks let me know..:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I can certainly understand being frustrated. Sometimes these so-called "tools", namely the BMI are not all-encompassing...especially for shorter people. My previous post was not meant to criticize anyone. After all, we are all in the same boat here! I have enough stress in my life without worrying about the scale or BMI (which is confusing and irritating at best). Good luck to all who are seeking a healthy lifestyle!!