HELP! Have you tried Bikram yoga(Hot yoga)?

Options
I'm going on my first Bikram class today, I'm very anxious about it.
I don't really have too much experience in Yoga, I did a couple of classes last year, but that's about it.
I've read everything about drinking a lot of water, not eating 3h before the workout etc.
But I wanted to ask from someone that has actually tried it and has experience, is it a bad idea for me to go? There are no other yoga classes in my area, and I've been really curious about this particular one because I heard the teacher is great.
What do you think? Should I give it a go or will I just make a fool of myself? :smile:

Replies

• skinnygirldiet
    Options
    I'm addicted to Bikram - been doing it for about a year now! :)

First off, it doesn't matter if you're overweight or inflexible but it DOES matter if you're totally out of shape. If you have no physical fitness whatever - like, you can't even run a mile - then I wouldn't recommend it, because the heat WILL get to you.

The 'no eating' rule is different for everyone - I drink a litre of water and eat a small banana an hour before class. Some people do it fasting :)

Best of luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've been going for about 2 weeks now. I love it!!

It's a strange workout - you sweat buckets for an hour and a half and feel like absolute crap while trying to do all the poses. But then you walk outside the room and feel absolutely amazing...

You don't need to be flexible or strong - all of the poses have beginner variations. The only part of you that needs to be excellent is your mind - don't let it defeat you and you will be fine. Force yourself to stay in the room and do as much as you can. Listen to all of the instructions and watch the more experienced people (generally those in the front of the room) if you don't understand.

Let us know how you go!!