Body bugg vs polar ft7

Options
Give me your opinions. My parents want to get me one for Christmas but I can't decide which.

Pro's and con's of each? Which would you choose?

Replies

• SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    curious to see what others have to say. I've 99% decided on the Body Media Fit (almost same as body bug but it also measures sleep)...I don't always get to work out on a regular basis because I have such a demanding job and then have 2 small boys. I stand and walk 9 hours a day at work though so I couldn't really gauge my caloric burn each day. So I was looking at the Body Media due to it giving a whole day picture not only when your working out. So that is why I'm pretty sure that's what I am going with.

Nichole
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7. I was in this dilemma around this time last year. I love the FT7, but after using it for almost a year, I find myself wanting more. I got the FT7 because it was waterproof, but I havent taken it into the water. I decided against the Bodybugg because I thought I couldnt accurately measure the calories I burned during exercise, but there's a "trip" function on the watch that lets you do this (kind of like the mileage on a car)...There's pros and cons to both, if you JUST want to know what you're burning during exercise, then the Polar FT7 is a great choice. If you want to know what you're burning all the time, then get the BodyBugg. If you are conscious of what people will ask you about it, know that the Bodybugg is worn all the time on your arm, but the Polar FT7 is worn when you exercise and is placed on your chest.

Good Luck! and remember..whichever one you get...PLEASE get the warranty. That is very important and comes in handy if anything goes wrong.
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Thank you!

Shameless bump. Just want some more insight.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bumping up too. I'm interested. I love how the Body Fit Media tracks so much, but it's the subscription holdng me back. Does the polar synch to the computer too?
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just got a BodyMedia Fit. I'm still adjusting to wearing it all the time. I apparently sleep pretty bad, which I didn't know (but I guess I should have known based on the quality bedhead I get....) and I don't burn as many calories with a good workout as I thought I did. I like that it tracks all day because while I don't burn as much as I thought working out, I am burning a good amount just on living, apparently. (So that evens out in the end, actually.)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Bumping up too. I'm interested. I love how the Body Fit Media tracks so much, but it's the subscription holdng me back. Does the polar synch to the computer too?

You can purchase a syncing device that you "walk past" and it will auto sync it to your polar account. I dont really use the polar account, it was kind of like sparkpeople...too much in one place..not very user friendly. that "device" also costs like an extra 100 dollars.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump, want to read later!
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg, but I'm embarrassed to wear it out in the open. I don't like people asking me what it is. I have found some shirts that will cover it. It's nice to know if you have a particularly active day, even if you haven't exercised per se, you know how many calories you have burned.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have the BODYMEDIA arm band and absolutely love it! It measures sleep and calories all day and night. I have not thought twice about this purchase.
    And for those of you who are embarrassed to wear it on your arm you could wear it on your calf and there is no difference.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options

You can purchase a syncing device that you "walk past" and it will auto sync it to your polar account. I dont really use the polar account, it was kind of like sparkpeople...too much in one place..not very user friendly. that "device" also costs like an extra 100 dollars.

I have the Polar Ft7 and I totally agree with this. Their website that it syncs to is polarpersonaltrainer.com and I find it to be very confusing. It is a free site and supposedly you can enter your information manually but I have not been able to get much use out of it this way.
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have both the FT7 and the bodymedia. The FT7 is based upon heartrate only and in order to get that info, you have to be wearing the strap. The bodymedia doesn't measure heartrate per se, but it takes into account other information. It's a lot easier for me to wear it 24/7 so I think I get more accurate data at the end of the day.