What kind of HRM do you have and why?

Options
Good Morning everyone! I've been thinking about getting a HRM and am wondering which one would be the best? I've done a little research, but thought i would ask everyone here. Please let me know what kind you have, how it works and if you like it. Oh and the price. Thank you!!

Replies

• klamont9
    Options
    Timex Ironman with chest strap.

Think I paid $75 at Best Buy for it.

Love it
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    Polar F6 with chest strap, I had seen on the forums a lot of talk about the Polar so I went on the website and checked them out and I got one. I love it and I don't know what I would do without it. I think it was $100 something but it's been 2 years ago since I got it.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Timex Zone Trainer, with chest strap - Costco 69$ - easy to use, has been accurate and tells you when you have hit your zone, also allows you to set up manually 5 heart rate zones.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7 heartratemonitorsusa.com $89.00
    -fitness/fatburn zone
    -chest strap
    -comunicates with the machines at the gym
    -coded transmiter so you don't pick up other peoples next to you

I also like the polar ft 4, I got the 7 for the added features the fitness/fatburn zone as well as the abilty to swim with it
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A polar (I forget what f it is think it's f11?) got mine coz briny had one and it had good reviews. Comes with a chest strap. Although there is a new polar one out which I want
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. So far it seems to be very accurate in measuring calories burned, and I also like the fact that it tells you how much of your workout you spent in your particular heart rate zone.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you add to this post-- can you also add if your brand tracks calories ? I have an HRM, but it doesn't track the calories. I have gone online and there is SOO much information out there, that it's hard to decide. I do want one that shows the Calories on the watch.. not one that I need to transmit info to computer for info
  • dizam
    dizam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I got a Polar FT7, is the cheapest I found at Best Buy that had a chest strap with a user replaceable battery, and it works great with the Life Fitness equipment at my gym.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7
    Tracks calories very accurately as far as I can tell
    I wanted a HRM that I could swim with
    I liked all he ability to communicate with the machines at the gym (it sucks to have to constantly be looking down at my "watch" when I'm on a treadmill)
    The price (I think $83 at REI)
  • Jen2ssaint
    Options
    The Polar FT7 shows the calories on the watch when you stop your training session. I just got mine last week and have used it everyday but I have not had time to really play with it and see everything that it does.
  • wheezymc
    wheezymc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bought a FT7, got it about a week ago and used it a few times and seems great. I like that it shows you how much of your workout was spent in weight loss and how much at cardio. I am trying to lose weight as well as get fit, so it helps me mix up the level to which i work out on a particular day. Also shows calories, i got mine from an online cycle store in the UK, who had got a deal on (also got a further 4% discount with my work discount scheme) - £63 with next day delivery.

Apparently you can swim with it, but it is a little hit and miss as to whether it reads continuously as if it moves whilst you are in the water it stops the reading. As Polar are analogue it is one ofthe few that you can even possibly getting a reading from in the water. I havent tried it yet, but i was warned do not press the buttons whilst under water. However, could not find anywhere where it says it is guaranteed in water, just the usual waterproof details, just read it on here and the supplier said it was OK. I also use the steam room during my swimming programme and not sure whether that might upset it, hence the reason i have not tried yet.

The manual it comes with is very basic, but there is more info online on their site.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it!
    My first HRM was a Polar F6, which was recommended to me by a friend who's a personal trainer. That was a great one but you can't replace the batteries in the chest strap in the F6 by yourself - you have to ship it out or bring it to an authorized Polar repair place if there happens to be one near where you live So when the F6 started dying after a few years, I decided to ask for an FT4 for my next birthday. Gave the F6 to a friend of mine who replaced the battery in the watch/receiver so it lasted a few more months.

ETA - both the FT4 and F6 give you calories the entire time you're working out.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it!
    My first HRM was a Polar F6, which was recommended to me by a friend who's a personal trainer. That was a great one but you can't replace the batteries in the chest strap in the F6 by yourself - you have to ship it out or bring it to an authorized Polar repair place if there happens to be one near where you live So when the F6 started dying after a few years, I decided to ask for an FT4 for my next birthday. Gave the F6 to a friend of mine who replaced the battery in the watch/receiver so it lasted a few more months.

ETA - both the FT4 and F6 give you calories the entire time you're working out.

This is super important. I hated having to ship my watches out to get the batteries changed.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at these too. I was interested in the Body Fit Media because it tracks more than just your workout, but I really don't want to pay for another subscription to get the full package. I like the idea of knowing how many calories I'm actually burning as opposed to guessing from a chart.

Does anyone know if any of the HRM synch with android phones or other computer programs?