Bally Total Fitness/LA Fitness takeover

Options

Replies

• slazar77
    Options
    Just left Bally's yesterday. Their computers were down, probably for a reason since so many people would have questions. This is what one of the new LA Fitness managers told me. He said starting next month, i could only work out at the home club that's on the back of my card, regardless whether or not it's a national membership. I could work out there until 2013, until my renew date since i pre-paid. Then, at that time, i could either buy the upgrade, or cancel my membership. My membership is from Chicago, but my wife's membership was a transferred plan from Virginia. The guy said she'd have to buy the upgrade to work out here.
    Someone should make a website where all of us can put our names down in case there is a class action law suit. I'm sure there will be one.
    Also, does anyone know where the dues are listed on the LA Fitness website? It's not listed under billing...
  • Someone should make a website where all of us can put our names down in case there is a class action law suit. I'm sure there will be one.
    Also, does anyone know where the dues are listed on the LA Fitness website? It's not listed under billing...

That is a good idea to band together....It could be worked that anybody who is affected and wants to band together to send $1 to centralized paypal email. Then from the proceeds the domain name and hosting fee is paid, which is small, then any money left over would be used for attorneys' fees or other costs as needed, with a public ledger showing who has paid in and amount, the total proceeds, less payments made out, and balance on the ledger.....any ideas on proposed domain names to check availability? The domain name "makelafitnesshonorballycontract.com" is available but is too long,,,,need small catchy name that fits...

How about "occupyLAFitness.org"

I read on the below link that someone that had next renewal date in 2014 that when transferred to LAFitness changed to 2012, http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/726565/?start=200

In my new account, the billing date and amount is shown in the billing section, if you click it to edit the billing section, that appears as the top...not in payment or prepayment section.
  • Here is another way...sign this petition that I just started.

http://www.change.org/petitions/lafitness-honor-reduced-fee-lifetime-contracts-of-bally-members-after-billing-period

This is important. When Bank of America wanted to charge $5 a month extra for use of debit card, a lady started a petition at change.org.....they got over 1 million signers and forced Bank of America to retract and not charge the $5 extra....so lets make a difference and don't let a big corporation bully you.
  • obs20
    obs20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Here is another way...sign this petition that I just started.

http://www.change.org/petitions/lafitness-honor-reduced-fee-lifetime-contracts-of-bally-members-after-billing-period

This is important. When Bank of America wanted to charge $5 a month extra for use of debit card, a lady started a petition at change.org.....they got over 1 million signers and forced Bank of America to retract and not charge the $5 extra....so lets make a difference and don't let a big corporation bully you.

I just signed the petition.
    I've been using a Bally's club in Florida for the last 16 years where I am a year round resident. 25 years ago I purchased a national membership in New York. Today I was told that the club (which was sold to LA Fitness) can no longer honor my membership as the membership originated in New York in a club they have not purchased. That leaves me twelve hundred miles from the nearest Bally's and without a gym to work out in. Some of the staff were laughing at my low renewal fee but if the initiation fee I paid in the 1980's was converted to today's money it would amount to close to two thousand dollars.
  • Here is another way...sign this petition that I just started.

I just signed the petition.
    I've been using a Bally's club in Florida for the last 16 years where I am a year round resident. 25 years ago I purchased a national membership in New York. Today I was told that the club (which was sold to LA Fitness) can no longer honor my membership as the membership originated in New York in a club they have not purchased. That leaves me twelve hundred miles from the nearest Bally's and without a gym to work out in. Some of the staff were laughing at my low renewal fee but if the initiation fee I paid in the 1980's was converted to today's money it would amount to close to two thousand dollars.

Thank you for signing the Petition, we have 4 signatures so far...Sorry to hear that they are not allowing you to use even one club where you live when you had a national membership. That is despicable behaviour on their part, basically forcing you to fly to be able to work out...If they did not buy your contract then the contract is with Ballys and since it is a National contract Ballys is breaching your contract....In addition, Bally did not give us proper notice that our personal information was going to be given to a 3rd Party. Basically Ballys sent an email and just 6 hours later all your personal information including credit car number, expiration date, and 3 digit number on back of card was disclosed to a 3rd party...they should have given us more time and an option to opt out of giving out such confidential information....and now they want to clean their hands and do nothing.....People lets get more signatures, everyone counts, don't complain later if you could not take 1 minute to sign a peition.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have had a Bally's membership since 1993. The main reason I stayed with them is because I pay less than $100/year because of my original contract ($8/month). I pay a lump sum payment and there was a stretch of 4 years where they forgot to send me a bill at all. Everyday that I went and scanned my card I hoped they didn't realize their mistake (they never did).
    Because of that low price, I bypass about 5 closer gyms to get to Bally's. I drive 15 miles to a very congested area to go to Ballys. Other area gyms cannot beat that price. The most comparable membership is Planet Fitness. Also, my Bally's gym is one of the few gyms in my area that has a pool. And the ones that do I assume are way more expensive. I haven't really checked since they won't just tell you the price without the sales pitch. UGH!!!
    My current membership expires at the end of July next year, so we'll see what happens. I was able to port my Ballys online account to LAFitness after several unsuccessful attempts (I finally realized I reversed my first and last names...DUH!!). Time will tell whether I stay after July 2012, the pool is a big deal for me.
  • kwadguy
    Options
    So has anyone discovered whether you can still (as of now) use a Bally's club (that is staying Bally's) with a "any club" membership that itself has been transferred to LA Fitness? Are they honoring the memberships for the next month or something?
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I stick with the mom and pop gyms. More so to help the fledgling economy than anything but I love the interpersonal relationship you develop with locally owned places.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So has anyone discovered whether you can still (as of now) use a Bally's club (that is staying Bally's) with a "any club" membership that itself has been transferred to LA Fitness? Are they honoring the memberships for the next month or something?
    Yes, with the Bally's acquired clubs, it looks like most people's memberships are good till the next expiration at least.

The best way to find out for sure about your own is to go online and 'verify' your account on the LA Fitness site (use the link through the announcement of the Bally's purchase), then when you get logged it it will tell you what your access is.
  • kwadguy
    Options
    Yes, with the Bally's acquired clubs, it looks like most people's memberships are good till the next expiration at least.

The best way to find out for sure about your own is to go online and 'verify' your account on the LA Fitness site (use the link through the announcement of the Bally's purchase), then when you get logged it it will tell you what your access is.

I'm talking about a club that is remaining Bally's. It's my local club, but since the club at which my membership was purchased (in another state) is being taken over by LA Fitness, I am now a LA Fitness member.

And I can't log into my LA Fitness account. It says it can't find me when I put in my info.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    I'm talking about a club that is remaining Bally's. It's my local club, but since the club at which my membership was purchased (in another state) is being taken over by LA Fitness, I am now a LA Fitness member.

And I can't log into my LA Fitness account. It says it can't find me when I put in my info.
    OH... I don't know. You seem to have the opposite problem of a lot of people. I would think your Bally's card would still be good, but you'll probably just have to go into your local Bally's and see if they can confirm if its still valid, or try calling (although I suspect their customer service lines are flooded with calls these days).
  • alexsports
    Options
    I em a bally member since 2009 and my contract expires Jan 2012. I have a national plan and had the same questions I've read here. I called LA fitness 2 times and got the same answer on my membership status, now pay in mind that I reside in NJ and not all gym's were sold to la fitness here but the one I go to did and this is what they explained.
    If you are a bally national member like I em in the state of NJ and your main bally were you sign your contract national or local got purchase your account gets converted to a LA fitness local or National plan with the lifetime rate agreement been honored. I called LA fitness customer service and they explained to me that this was all new to them but that they finally got a hand book with all the Q&A possible and they both read it from the handbook to me. Now this only applies to regular LA fitness clubs, Signature and Elite are not included in this plan but you have the choice of upgrading at an aditional fee. What the fee is? They don't know and directed me to the local signature club for the rate. Now for December I can go to a signature club and work out but after that I would have to pay the upgrade. My lifetime is much more than $8 a year so maybe this applies to me and not others. This may applied to NJ or NY members since bally will still have other gym's open and still compete with LA fitness in Tri-state area market
  • kwadguy
    Options
    I em a bally member since 2009 and my contract expires Jan 2012. I have a national plan and had the same questions I've read here. I called LA fitness 2 times and got the same answer on my membership status, now pay in mind that I reside in NJ and not all gym's were sold to la fitness here but the one I go to did and this is what they explained.
    If you are a bally national member like I em in the state of NJ and your main bally were you sign your contract national or local got purchase your account gets converted to a LA fitness local or National plan with the lifetime rate agreement been honored. I called LA fitness customer service and they explained to me that this was all new to them but that they finally got a hand book with all the Q&A possible and they both read it from the handbook to me. Now this only applies to regular LA fitness clubs, Signature and Elite are not included in this plan but you have the choice of upgrading at an aditional fee. What the fee is? They don't know and directed me to the local signature club for the rate. Now for December I can go to a signature club and work out but after that I would have to pay the upgrade. My lifetime is much more than $8 a year so maybe this applies to me and not others. This may applied to NJ or NY members since bally will still have other gym's open and still compete with LA fitness in Tri-state area market

This is still BS. Why should the club at which I physically signed a contract with Bally's (the national corporation) determine whether I can continue to visit Bally's clubs? At the very least, i should be offered the option of EITHER being a Bally's member OR an LA Fitness member going forward.

I don't have any convenient LA Fitness locations. I have convenient Bally's locations. I don't want to be an LA Fitness member, even though the contract was signed 22 years ago at a location in another state that has now become LA Fitness.

My contract was with Bally's, NOT with the local club. I paid my dues to Bally's, NOT to the local club.
  • alexsports
    Options
    I totaly agree with you, they should have given us the option of switching or not. Since is notional and not local. I'm with you 100%. For me it did not mater but for situations like your's there should be an exception. and you should have the option of staying or switching. I guess they sold the location and the contracts as well.
  • Yeppers888
    Options
    You should call ballys 866-40-Bally, to get your phone number that is on file with Bally's. LA Fitness needs this number to access your Bally's membership. My membership was from 1987 and I forgot the phone number I used, so when I went to LA Finess they said I must have a life-time membership (which didn't transfer over from Bally's apparenently). I actually just had a Platinum Membership. The people at Bally's were very helpful. Hope this helps.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    I totaly agree with you, they should have given us the option of switching or not. Since is notional and not local. I'm with you 100%. For me it did not mater but for situations like your there should be an exception. and you should have the option of staying or switching. I guess they sold the location and the contracts as well.
    I agree too...if there's a Bally's that is remaining open (as Bally's) near where you live, then you should have the option to stay. In my case it doesn't matter either, because they all sold in my state, but I'd love to have had the option to stay, because I loved my low rate and loved my particular club. Its depressing that it has to change now...
  • kwadguy
    Options
    You should call ballys 866-40-Bally, to get your phone number that is on file with Bally's. LA Fitness needs this number to access your Bally's membership. My membership was from 1987 and I forgot the phone number I used, so when I went to LA Finess they said I must have a life-time membership (which didn't transfer over from Bally's apparenently). I actually just had a Platinum Membership. The people at Bally's were very helpful. Hope this helps.

I just tried that. The guy I got said they don't have that information anymore--that it was all transfered to LA Fitness. I gave him my account number and he could look up my name, but nothing more.

Sucks.
  • kimberly019
    kimberly019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes I also have a super cheap renew, I went to Bally today and found out about the sale, I was told my lifetime membership was
    not sold to LA Fitness that I would need to purchase one from LA and it would be $30 a month I now pay $34 a year, so I am looking for a new gym, I will not pay those prices. I called both places and got the same answer, so the people who have had
    memberships for a long time and paid a big price for them are just out of luck.....
  • kimberly019
    kimberly019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    people with lifetime memberships they did not buy, so we are out of luck... You have to purchase a LA membership for $30 a month..
  • wayno5976
    Options
    Member since 1988. Yearly lifetime dues $60. Received email from Ballys Wednesday stating my home club has beed sold to LA Fitness. Also stating they will be servicing my membership.. Went to LA FITNESS web site tried to verify account. Wouldn't work, pop up response said I had to go to the club to create account. Went to my home club in lake grove new york. The LA FINESS rep checked by membership and said LA FITNESS didn't take/assume lifetime memberships with fixed yearly dues from Ballys. So, I can't use my home club. Matter of fact, the 1 still owned Ballys Club is 40 minutes away. I truly believe this was totally orchestrated by LA FITNESS and BALLYS to get rid of lifetime members, and shortly down the road, BALLYS will be totally bankrupt and all it's left over clubs will be closed. Intend on filing complaint with the New York Attorney General.