Good stretches for running?

Options
Good Morning MFP!

So as of lately, I have been able to work my way up to walking at a brisk pace @ 4.0, sprinkled with a little bit of jogging for a few minutes at a time @ 5.0 - 5.5 .... I've noticed though that my ankles feel weak after I'm on the treadmill for about 45-60 minutes ... and now my knees are starting to bother me ... I do the "standard" stretches before and after, but I am wondering if there is a way to strengthen my ankles ...... or if you have any other stretches for my knees

My typical stretches include sitting down and stretching both legs out to the sides, grabbing the foot and stretching out my hamstrings & quads as much as I can ... Then I put the ball of my foot against the wall and lean into it (again, to stretch the back of the leg) .. Any other ideas?

Thanks much xoxo!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I hate to be the person to suggest this, but it might be the types of shoes you are wearing. When I had $20 payless shoes I would get crazy pains in my ankles, knees and calves. Once I shelled out $80 for asics (on sale) I haven't had an issue since.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree, I would bet that it has more to do with your shoes and less to do with your pre-workout stretching. Go to a running store and get an analysis. It's free and can make a huge difference towards combatting your aches and pains.
  • emilymarie27
    emilymarie27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on all your hard work and for pushing yourself to run for a few minutes at a time! That is great!

When I read your post, it brought back memories of the same problem I had earlier in the year. I have been running for a while but when I was training for a race I was sold shoes that TOTALLY did not give me enough support for my ankles and after a few weeks of running in them I really screwed up my ankles and sore knees! I ended up in the doctors office - boo - and had to take a couple weeks off. So if you are starting to get sore ankles/knees/hips, one of my suggestions is maybe go to one of your local running stores and have them take a look at your stride/run and they can help you pick out a good pair of shoes. Not saying that this is the problem with you, but it sounds so familiar to what was going on with me that I thought I would pass along! :)

As for stretching, I would check out runners world.com. The site has some great information on there about how to stretch out certain parts of your body that feel tight. Also, not sure if you are into it, but yoga is also great!

Anyways, good luck on your running and hopefully your ankles and knees start feeling better for you!!!!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!!

I've had the same shoes for almost 2 years now so the shoes could definately be the culprit .... They are the Kelly Ripa ones (called Ryka, I think) ... but I forget if I bought the "running" type, or if they are just a general walking shoe .... New shoes is definately something to look into .. since now it's getting painful to even walk after a walking/jogging session