Calling all cyclists. . .

Options
I read somewhere that women that bicycle 6 miles a week are more fit and are able to lose weight easier and keep it off.

Is this true? Thoughts?

Replies

• Labcoathipster
    Options
    I hope so! I do way more than that...it seems to be the only workout I really enjoy other than swimming. I'll have to research this...
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Well, I suppose compared to women who do no workouts that would be true. But 6 miles a week on a bike is nothing. 6 a day isn't even very much but something is better than nothing.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Have to agree that 6 miles a week isn't going to make too much of a difference, but then again I do 1000 miles every 5 -6 weeks and certainly do notice!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just ~30 minutes a week? Not a day?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I cycle at least 6 miles a day (to and from work) and it certainly helps!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd believe this if it were more than 6 miles a week. After 6 miles on a bike, I'm barely warmed up...
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    hey, gotta start somewhere :)
    and sure beats sitting on the couch.
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree that 6 miles a week seems like hardly anything. I suppose its better then no exercise, but I would not expect to see any miracles... I've logged over 1000 miles this season between mountain, road and downhill biking.
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My commute one way is over 5 miles, 6 total is a cake walk. I usually ride at least 20 on the weekends and most of my cycling friends consider me a light weight. But, yes, I have noticed when I cycle 20 miles a couple of times a week my muscles tighten up. My husband even told me all the biking has made my butt look nicer:tongue:
  • jaebarnett
    Options
    Most of my exercise has been commuting via bike 4-5 days a week. This is 4-6 miles each day, depending on the route I take. I may not have quick weight loss, but it is steady and I have more stamina than before. 6 miles may be "nothing" in some people's view, but it is a start. We all have to start somewhere.

The other commuters at my work poke fun at my distance (they do 15+) and my bike (a cruiser instead of a slick road bike) but I did not let that stop me. You shouldn't either.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My dilemma is that I HATE cycling. I hated spin (except for one instructor). 6 miles doesn't sound like a whole lot to me either so I thought that I could add in at least that much once a week and maybe notice some additional changes???
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise has been commuting via bike 4-5 days a week. This is 4-6 miles each day, depending on the route I take. I may not have quick weight loss, but it is steady and I have more stamina than before. 6 miles may be "nothing" in some people's view, but it is a start. We all have to start somewhere.

The other commuters at my work poke fun at my distance (they do 15+) and my bike (a cruiser instead of a slick road bike) but I did not let that stop me. You shouldn't either.

Six miles on a cruiser is way harder than 6 miles on a road bike!

I certainly think that 6 miles on anything is better than nothing. I just don't agree with the premise that women that bicycle 6 miles a week are more fit and are able to lose weight easier and keep it off. It just doesn't seem like enough activity to me to make such a claim.

However, cycling is a GREAT form of exercise. If you do enough of it, you burn lots of calories, and over time, it really helps the way your butt and legs look. I used to cycle about 60 - 100 miles or so a week, and I looked a ton better than I do now.
  • minigirl2
    minigirl2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One thing that really added fuel to my fire for cycling this year was using MFP to see how many calories are burned doing just one hour of cycling. I could sometimes add an entire day's worth of calories just from doing something I enjoy! It's a great way to lose/maintain weight.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think that would be true of doing anything besides sitting on the couch eating bon bons.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think that would be true of doing anything besides sitting on the couch eating bon bons.

MMMMMM bon bons. . .
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you hate cycling, then I do not think it would make sence adding in an activity you don't like. Cycling isn't a magic pill which will make everything easier. Activity is activity. If you hate cycling, I would look for something else active to do.
  • jaebarnett
    Options
    Spinning is boring. I did it a couple times then gave up.

You also use more core muscles on a real bike (you don't need to balance on a stationary bicycle). check the calorie difference.

Also bike trails - you get a view! And my youngest loves being on her tagalong bike - it is great to do it with your kids.

I think your mind set changes when you start biking, even 6 miles a week, so you are more likely to walk or bike the short distances you would usually drive. It is not a magic pill as chele76 said - but it (or any other activity) leads to other changes.
  • blondishandbookish
    Options
    I read somewhere that women that bicycle 6 miles a week are more fit and are able to lose weight easier and keep it off.

Is this true? Thoughts?

Depends on what women who bike 6 miles a week are being compared to - Victoria Pendleton - olympic cyclist - no way. Compared to a couch potato who does nothing, then yes.
  • Lekkie84
    Options
    I've done over 1,000km this year on a road bike and it's certainly made a difference. However the fitter I get on the big the more muscular my legs and I've found that I can no longer fit into the shorts I used to wear last summer!

6 miles would certainly help someone who is trying to get fit or regain some fitness. But at some point that's going to plateau and you're going to need to up the miles again.