30 Day Shred and 100# overweight

Options
I've got about 100# to lose. I've heard a lot of good things about the 30DS but it is always from those who are significantly closer to their healthy weight than I am.

I have been walking on my treadmill for 30minutes a day or more every day for the last few months, and I want to push myself a little harder.

Has anyone done the 30DS with this much to lose? Would you recommend it for someone like me?

Replies

• MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! It doesn't matter how many pounds you need to lose..I did it with needing to lose 70lbs to lose..I started my 2nd round of it today..So, don't let needing to lose 100lbs stop you...You can do it!!!
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I do know that 30DS is going to be MUCH harder than walking on a treadmill. I just got it last night (also have 100# to lose) but haven't started it last night. I know a lot of people who do it who talk about how hard it is and it builds a lot of muscle but doesn't really make you lose a lot of weight. I wish I had more personal experience to speak from, though.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now with my sister-in-law and on the DVD Jillian says "I have 400 lb people doing jumping jacks. If they can, you can, too". So I say go for it!

It's a great series and I'm sure you'll see results if you give it your all.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I did not have quite a 100lbs to lose, but I did do the 30DS before I got 'close' to my goal (not sure I am really 'close' - still 20lbs away). Anyway, I would still recommend it because you can do it to your own ability and as your fitness level increases, you will be able to do more and improve your technique. It might be that you stay at Level 1 longer than others, but it will still give you a great workout. Good luck to you!!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have done it before with needing to lose 80+ pounds. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! You may have to modify a few of the exercises, but in just a few weeks, you will be flying through it.

Don't let those 100#'s stop you from trying it.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Its_ali_bella Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know people that are at least 50-60 lb overweight doing this. Jillian has other DVD's out that you could probably start with. But, if you want to start this one - nice and slow, I say go for it! It is only 26 minutes. You could push pause between each interval. It consist of 3 circuits, each 3 minute strength, 2 minute cardio, and 1 minute abs. Just take a few minutes in between each circuit if need be. You can start with lower weights, then move up. I actually just started a group yesterday, and 11 of the people have never done this DVD before.
  • kimf412
    kimf412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have 80 lbs to lose, maybe even more and did my first day today. It is hard but you can do it :) I am just going at my own pace, I know I won't get to the second level in 10 days, I will just do the first level until I think I am ready.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have that much to lose and I have done it. I havent made it all the way through though but thats not because of my weight. Its a tough work out but go for it!!
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would say yes....do it! It's a really good workout.
  • doug1925
    doug1925 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have and love the 30 day shred. I would recommend it for you. I have completed all three levels. I did the same as you walking worked up to running the treadmill for 30 minutes. I agree you can do it!!! You just need to go for it. She will give you modifications for some of the moves you can do until you work up to it. It does work and You will be VERY happy you did it!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not to mention there is a Advanced person and Beginner person behind her. If you feel you're moving too fast or can't do some of the moves just follow the Beginner. For $9 or so it's worth a shot.

I moved to Level 2 after 5 days and I'm sore. And I thought I was in shape!!! (just did a half marathon).

Rest assured you will see results in inches AND pounds....just search "30 day shred" on MFP...
  • AbetterMe220
    Options
    I think its a great idea for you to start as long as you don't have any injuries or a DR has advised not too. I started it 5 days ago. First day was very difficult, took a rest day and went right back in. I was super sore (from Day 1) and tired but if you push past all that on Day 2 and 3 you will thank yourself because it actually helps with the soreness. If you start it, stick with it. You will see results. Also, measure and weigh. Sometimes your not losing because your gaining muscle. You can do it!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, do it. I have just under 100 pounds to lose and I am able to do everything in level 1 I am currently on Day for of level 1 and to be honest the first 2 days were by far the worst for soreness/not being able to keep up. Last night was a lot easier than day one and I suspect it will continue to get easier as I do it.

Also, do your measurments, and try to stay off the scale, you will be retaining fluid like crazy but thats part of the whole working out thing - your muscles will be repairing themselves. I stepped ont he scale today and gained 4 pounds - I know its not a true gain but just thought I would give you the heads up!
  • Elleebell
    Options
    Do you have any back or knee problems to begin with? I have a weak lower back and apparently weak knees because after day 15 my knees hurt so bad I couldn't walk down stairs, and I had to stop. Luckily I've been losing just as much weight jogging and walking on the treadmill and it's wayyyy easier for me. I do plan to try the 30 ds again when I'm closer to my goal. The first time I tried it I was 55 lbs from goal. There is one person in the video who does the modified movements that are easier and if you do those you will probably be fine, I found that I had a really hard time consistently doing the modified because I just wanted to push myself too hard. If you do decide to do it, GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you do awesome and get the results you want!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people wait until they have lost a lot of their weight before they embark on more 'intense' workout programs, but really it's GREAT if you can start it earlier! 30 day shred workouts your muscles and uses weights to condition them - it's EXCELLENT to do it as soon as your able! It will absolutely kick your butt, but you will see results. If you find that you have issues with your knees (lots of people do even if they are closer to their goal weight), you can modify things so it's not so hard on them. I can't do this one particular 'jumprope' thing for long before it bothers my knees, so I substitute in the punching that is done in other parts of the video. I also don't go quite as low in my squats or lunges, though I do try to go a bit farther each time. I just don't go all the way right from the start - I worked my way into it.

If you do it, you will find you get better at it the more you do it. If you feel like you need a break for a day or two, take a break! After day 1 I was hurting so bad I took 3 days off to recover! LOL But then once I got started again, I haven't hurt like that and haven't had to take a break again! If you need to recover, take a break and then get right back at it when you're able. You don't have to do it 30 days in a row if you're not at that level of fitness yet. Some people do 'push through the pain' and keep going every single day, others feel like taking a break for recovery means they can do a better job the next time they do it. Start with low handweights - if they are too easy, move up to higher ones. You will probably find the ones you start with getting easier and easier and need to move up anyway to still get that intensity in the workout. (I started out using 3 lb weights for everything and finding it quite challenging, now I'm using 5 lb weights for some of the exercises and I'm only on day 10 - I will probably move up for some of the exercises in the next week or 2, too!) Listen to your body, modify the exercises if you need to in the beginning, take breaks for recovery if you need to, and don't give up. Keep at it and you will see amazing results!
  • lemichle
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm going to take your word for it and buy the DVD on my way home today.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Modify Modify Modify. If you decide to do the jumping.... land lightly. I too have quite a bit to lose and have done it. Don't do anything to the point that you are in pain. You can expect to be sore but not to the point where you cannot move. I lost 12 pounds from it. I did not do it for 30 days straight. I had points when I just had to rest. And I did that. The inches lost are amazing..

I think you will enjoy it!! Feel free to message me if you wish :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now with my sister-in-law and on the DVD Jillian says "I have 400 lb people doing jumping jacks. If they can, you can, too". So I say go for it!

It's a great series and I'm sure you'll see results if you give it your all.

Although I loved the 30DS as a workout and I in an eternal love with Jillian Michaels, I am strongly disagree with her statement .
    I didn't have 100 lb to lose, but I had like 60lb. I did the shred for 2 weeks, and it damaged my knees soo badly. When i started to look around, it turned out many many people hurt their knees around here doing the 30 DS. Just search for bad knees 30 day shred and you will see how frequent the problem is with heavier people.

The reason: jumping jacks! It is THE HARDEST move on the knees. ( plus jumpropes are not easy either) I think with that amount of extra weight and not having proper muscle definition around the knees combined with such a high impact moves calls for injury.

However, Jillian has other great workouts. I think if somebody already doing cardio, I doing some JM strength training is great addition. I have started the the No More Trouble Zones 3 weeks ago and it works wonders for me. It got me out of a 7 weeks plateau , and the scale never have moved faster for me before. It has 5 minutes warm-up at the beginning, which has a bit jumping jacks, and jump ropes, but I just march instead and just move my arms. The workout is twice as long as the shred , but you do not have to do every day. On the DVD she suggest to do 5 times a week, but I think that is too much. I do it 3 times a week and it is more than enough. I did twice a week on the first week, and that was already great.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I did try it early on when I still had >100 lbs to lose & wasn't too crazy about it. I hate anything that involves jumping, not that I hate the jumping itself, but I hate how my midsection flaps around when I do it & I didn't want my skin getting even more stretched out. I preferred step aerobics, which also involves a little bit of jumping, but I was able to modify the movements to make them less jumpy.

I took up running when walking wasn't challenging enough. Yes, there is still some up & down motion there, but I wear a belly binder when I do it & that keeps things in place nicely. I'd highly recommend wearing one for any activity that involves similar motion, including Shred or step or turbokick or whatever.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Oh and TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS before you start! That is where most people see the biggest results. Inches lost. You very well might hold onto some water weight starting a new intense workout, so you might not see the scale move quite like you're expecting. But if you stick with it you WILL see inches lost. Take 'before and after' pictures too. And hey go to the 'search' function and type in 'shred results' - people posting before and after pictures really motivates me, you can see big differences!

And just to say it one more time, don't be afraid to modify exercises that might be too much for you just starting out. And honestly I'd say if you don't feel like you're in pretty good shape muscularly already, don't try to go 'all out' the very first time. My first day I went 120% figuring if I was going to do it, I was going to do it as hard as I could, and that landed me in pain and unable to do it again for 3 days. If I'd started out doing the exercises a bit more moderately just to get a feel for everything, I might have felt good enough the next day to go ahead and do it again and maybe up the intensity a little more gradually. *Listen to your body*!