Trying to lose the 9-5 desk job weight

Options
I thought I would take some time to introduce myself and see if there were other people in my same situation. As a recent college graduate I used to live a relatively active life mixing drinking and unhealthy eating habits with regular gym trips. This kept my weigh at a steady increase from my high school days. Since graduation I have settled in to a 9-5 desk job. While I have quit back on my days of partying and lack of sleep, I find myself no longer exercising regularly and snacking while sitting all day.

My weight has been fluctuating between 128-137 for the last year. This is a lot at my small frame (5'3"). All the other women in my family weigh around 110lbs which is where I was before college. Ideally, I would like to get back my high school figure but would settle for another 10lbs. As of this morning's trip to the scale I clocked in at 127. I started an intense workout plan at the beginning of the year and lost around 8 pounds. While I haven't gained any of that back, I seem to have hit a weigh loss wall over the last 3 months. I am hoping though this site to meet others trying to lose weigh and help maybe come up with new ways to get the last few pounds of my goal off.

Replies

• MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that 127 is NOT a lot for 5'3"; I'm 5'4" and my healthy range is 125-140. However, if you don't feel that you are healthy enough, then just make sure you are getting the nutrition and activity you need. I also work a "9-5" in a cubicle all day. Have you tried walking during your breaks? Sometimes getting up and walking around your building can help you add activity and clear your head so you feel better.

Good luck!
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I think 115-120 would be ideal :)
  • taraatwood
    Options
    I'm a 9 to 5er too. It's definitely a hard transition even thought I graduated in 2005 which is a while ago! For me what works is just looking in the short term and not worrying too much about months, years, etc. Just think okay how can I fit healthy eating and fitness into my life today and this week. Usually Monday's at 12N is when I do that. I sign up for my spin classes for Tues-Monday. So my week is set with working out. As for food, I live in NYC and it's hussle bussle everywhere. Typically for food I try to stick to the same things Mon-Fri to make it easy. I usually pack breakfast (yogurt, almonds, blueberries) and snacks (almonds, ingrediants for a protein shake, etc)... and for lunch I will grab something and I have 4 staple items: 1. 3 lentil chili soup and half a wrap from this soup place which gives the calories 2. hummus wrap and quinoa from a hummus bar 3. Sushi 4. Pret Manager has all organic food and i get a crunchy salad wrap and fruit... those meals all range between 200-400 cals. I do those everday each week. For dinner, I try to keep it simple too and not waste too much time cooking. I have like 4-5 staple items... chix fajitas, clean pizza, planko chix, soy chicken... i sometimes even grab trader joes or whole food frozen / organic / low in salt type dinners for quick meals. Then on weekends I enjoy more cooking and flexibility. I'll make fun healthy things. I just find during week i can't waste my time worrying about what to eat and planning it. Just have staple items and eat those.

Just try not overthinking it too much - sometimes that's counterproductive. Oh and walk during break.. I try to walk 20 blocks which is 1 mile.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5'4" 128. I'd at least like to get down to 120 - 115. I too have an all day desk job. So I feel your pain.
  • jenmcdav
    Options
    Let me just say that 127 is NOT a lot for 5'3"; I'm 5'4" and my healthy range is 125-140. However, if you don't feel that you are healthy enough, then just make sure you are getting the nutrition and activity you need. I also work a "9-5" in a cubicle all day. Have you tried walking during your breaks? Sometimes getting up and walking around your building can help you add activity and clear your head so you feel better.

Good luck!

i agree! i am 5'3 and i'm shooting for 125. I don't think I would look as good (healthy) if i went lower than 120. i work at a desk all day too. mfp has really helped me with curbing snacking and being aware of how many calories i'm eating while i sit at work. I also make an effort to get in a little exercise in the morning before going to work. i have two kids, so i can never get to the gym, but i can usually sneak in 30 minutes of cardio at home.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Good luck :) I have a lot of work to do, same deal with the desk job and everything but I'm 5'4" and up to 163lbs. No thrilled. Goal weight is 125 but I'll be happy back below 140
  • Addicted2Fitness
    Options
    I am as well in the same boat. What desk exercises can we do where we don't draw attention to ourselves and where our bosses don't come to our cubicles and ask what in the world are you doing? lol
  • rockinzulie
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I look forward to losing weight with all of you!