Paxil victim

Options
Hey my name is Shannon! New to Fitness pal, been tracking for almost two weeks now. I exercise four days a week, up to running 30 minutes and hiking 20 minutes 4 days a week. I love to run and be active. I have been on paxil for two years for a severe anxiety disorder, yet I am weaning myself off cause.....yep.....cannot lose weight for anything. I had some bad habits that did not help, but I am losing weight so slowly that I am a little discouraged. Anyone else in the same boat??

I think support is important, and knowing we are not alone. BTW I love this site.....never realized how much crap I was putting in my face...lol. It is also a great learning tool for portion control.

Hit me up or friend me.

<3 Shannon

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about Paxil but I am on Depo-Provera birth control shot and that also makes it difficult to lose weight... can get depressing, then you give up and order pizza. lol...
  • ShortayBaybay
    Options
    Hey my name is Shannon! New to Fitness pal, been tracking for almost two weeks now. I exercise four days a week, up to running 30 minutes and hiking 20 minutes 4 days a week. I love to run and be active. I have been on paxil for two years for a severe anxiety disorder, yet I am weaning myself off cause.....yep.....cannot lose weight for anything. I had some bad habits that did not help, but I am losing weight so slowly that I am a little discouraged. Anyone else in the same boat??

I think support is important, and knowing we are not alone. BTW I love this site.....never realized how much crap I was putting in my face...lol. It is also a great learning tool for portion control.

Hit me up or friend me.

<3 Shannon

I was on Paxil and Xanex for severe anxiety and ptsd, and some other perscription drugs. They were the worst, I hated what they did to my body, and how they made me feel!! I am no longer on the medication, and I have had no problem losing weight, as long as I am counting my calories and exercising!! I did however, NOT lose ANY weight when I was on the medication, no idea why, but no matter what I did, there was nothing coming off!! I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journey, and if you are trying to get off the medication, good luck to you, and you can do it! :)
  • steend74
    Options
    Oh hunny, im with you on that one. I lost my dad in 2008, threw me into sever drpesion and MAJOR anxiety. Was prescribed PAxil because it was the only thing that would help my anxiety. Gained 45 pounds in a yr and weaned myself off. Im stil trying to get the wt off. It seems the paxil screwed up EVERYTHING!!! I use Xanax as needed for anxiety but i HATE that i worked so hard for years and in one damn yr on a med it was blown. Keep up the hard work. Dont stop exercising and record everything!!! this is a great supprt system... SOrry you had to go thru that too. Im med free now for over a yr, still experience anxiety but nothing xanax cant help with. im done with everything else...grrr
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Did you talk to your doc before going off Paxil? There are other medications that can be just as effective but without the side effects..

just a thought.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I never had weight issues from SSRIs. I experienced no appetite changes or weight changes with Celexa. With Cymbalta, my appetite was shot for 3 weeks, but it came back. I experienced minor weight loss.
  • summersk
    Options
    Shannon,

Though I have never taken Paxil I had my thyroid removed almost two years ago due to cancer that I had been living with for between 4 and 6 years. My metabolism was non existent until just a few months ago, so I feel your pain. I have learned to look at it this way; It took me almost a year to put on the weight I currently have, therefore it should take me approximately a year to get it back off and I know that I will run into some snags and snares along the way. Patients is the real key to losing weight healthily.

Good Luck.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you mentioned your exercise, but not calorie consumption. If you open your food diary up to make it public, it might give people the whole picture. Calories are the major component in your weight loss. Exercise is wonderful for fitness and "earning" more calories.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have depressive and anxiety disorders and have to take medication. It causes my weight loss to be slower but I just deal with it. What's the point in being thin if I'm not well? Be careful going off your medication. Severe anxiety is serious. I would never stop taking my medication. I started MFP in March and have lost 40 pounds. That's around 1 pound a week at average. It can be done. What does your doctor say? Be very careful stopping the medication. If you stay on your 1200 calorie a day program and exercise on a regular basis I think you'll be able to do it. Exercise is the key. I wish you well. :flowerforyou:
  • ShaunamsMar
    Options
    I take medication for anxiety, and I have not had that problem. If anything i've lost weight because I'm less anxious and more productive, and I don't eat when stressed, I only eat when hungry. I wouldn't necessarily say A caused B, you don't know for sure Paxil is why you can't lose weight, it's always math, calories in vs. calories out. It's really that simple.
  • jenlynxoxo
    Options
    Paxil, along with any anti depression/anti anxiety medication mess with chemicals in the brain. Some can increase hormones as well which can cause weight gain. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin and low dose Zoloft and have lost weight with no problem. If you do some research on Wellbutrin though, it's one of the few that has the best side effects. Some people have taken it for weight loss, quitting smoking, depression and even adhd/add. Although Wellbutrin sometimes can't be taken just by itself, it's definitely something to look into. I tried Zoloft first and didn't like it due to the sexual side effects and went to Wellbutrin that didn't have that, but only worked about 50% of the time. Combination of both, no sexual side effects, no weight gain. Just FYI.
  • ShannTron
    Options
    omg all of you are amammzing!!! lol...so supportive! ok to answer a couple questions

1. I consume 1220 calories a day.
    2. Have not talked to doctor since most of them mthink that it is all in your head. I am taking myself off the meds carefully though, cause the side effects are a bit nuts if you do not. I am staying patient and keeping my head up. I quit smoking 42 days ago and feel like I already "won". I had alot of bad habits, so I am taking it one day at a time. I ave been hiking and exercising for a while now...but putting useless calories right back in. Now I am counting, measuring and logging everythi ng. I am on track to lose 2 pounds a week, I have lost about one pound.....it blows me away to be honest. I run my *kitten* off <
    I used to be a runner and still got FORM...woot woot.....
    3. Paxil is an SSRI that affects your cortisol levels as well as your hormones....weight loss is pretty impossible. I have balanced my anxiety issues with more holisitc medicines and approaches. I think SSRI;s can be great for helping get past a hurdle, I am not a supporter of long term use though.

I am going to start opening up more of my page as I learn how to use the site outside of caloric tracking. I am doing a weigh in tonight to see what I have really lost. I am doing a weekly weigh in, don't want to obsess, just keep an eye on any progress.

Thanks for ALL the support and great words of wisdom
  • ShannTron
    Options
    @ Sunkisses....SO TRUE!!!!!!! well said girl!

keep it up...you look great!

Shannon ~
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    @ Sunkisses....SO TRUE!!!!!!! well said girl!

keep it up...you look great!

Shannon ~
    Thanks! :smile: I just wondered if you're not also creating more of a deficit than maybe you need (Search "exercise calories" for the larger story on that). Not totally discounting your issue with Paxil or anything, but just trying to help you cover your bases, especially if you need the Paxil and have to work around it. Good luck!
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Did you talk to your doc before going off Paxil? There are other medications that can be just as effective but without the side effects..

just a thought.
    I have yet to hear of a drug without side effects.

I was on celexa for 2.5 years and gained a lot of weight, and guess what, 2 years in the company "readjusted the possible sideffects" on the new list were right on top, headaches, weight gain, low metabolism and legargy along with emotional numbness. YAY... ugh. They did not annouce it just changed the listing. I have found ways to deal with my panic attacks and depression.

Did you know that regular, consistant exercise can be way more effective than the meds? yup. I worked with my doctor to get off the crappy meds and 1 year later I feel so so so much better, but you have to work out!! not like crazy but you do have to get active. My doctor was very happy that I wanted to get off the meds and work it out she was very helpful and suportive.

Check where some antidepressants come from, some are actually derived from acid!! eek. BTW my withdrawls were super intense and I weaned 2x slower than is reccomended by the company. It was very hard and that alone made me more determined to change my life so that I hope I never have to use them again.

On a side note: one of the major causes of my anxiety and depression was my birth control pill(check the side effects on those! scary). I got off that too and got a hormone free alternative, now I am losing weight and feel happy.

hang in there and make a plan, stick to it. you can get healthy!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Wellbutrin though, it's one of the few that has the best side effects. Some people have taken it for weight loss,

taking Wellbutrin for weight loss is not recommended. The off-label use of wellbutrin for weight loss is something that marketing people at the company have recently come under intense scrutiny for.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I am on track to lose 2 pounds a week, I have lost about one pound.....it blows me away to be honest. I run my *kitten* off <
    I used to be a runner and still got FORM...woot woot.....

might want to take a look at this, too...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387653-running-into-trouble?hl=running+into+trouble#posts-5314122
  • ShannTron
    Options
    @ Sidney

Thanks for the article! I read the references at the end of the article and the finding are based on marathon runners that over extend their bodies. I am working at a 70% heart rate for cardio and nothing near 20 hours a week. lol. It is a great article, but can probably be taken out of context. Running does not make us fat, nor will it cause the body to lose it's metabolic burn. I thin k i we overdo anything our bodies will rebel. Just like not eating enough calories we go into starvation mode and gain weight after a while. My unfortunate reality is I HAVE to get the HELL off these meds. I am making progress. I should be off completely soon. Fingers crossed!!!

I am going to start lifting as well and cross train a bit...tonight I might do the bike with my hubby. yeah to workout buddies right?? ;)

Shannon~
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    @ Sidney

Thanks for the article! I read the references at the end of the article and the finding are based on marathon runners that over extend their bodies. I am working at a 70% heart rate for cardio and nothing near 20 hours a week. lol. It is a great article, but can probably be taken out of context. Running does not make us fat, nor will it cause the body to lose it's metabolic burn. I thin k i we overdo anything our bodies will rebel. Just like not eating enough calories we go into starvation mode and gain weight after a while. My unfortunate reality is I HAVE to get the HELL off these meds. I am making progress. I should be off completely soon. Fingers crossed!!!

I am going to start lifting as well and cross train a bit...tonight I might do the bike with my hubby. yeah to workout buddies right?? ;)

Shannon~

Yea, I had no idea how much you run, but I figured it was a lot from what you said....

I've seen plenty of "normal" non-competitive runners have stubborn lack of weightloss while marathon training, and I wonder if any of them experience similar symptoms. I just tend to think people get very little benefit from repetitive, low intensity cardio...
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can't type a (lot ) husband not back from work yet, will write later but just wanted to ask you if your weaning was under the supervision of your doctor?

I have been on it for more 10 years and Paxil withdrawal can be compared to heroin withdrawal...I am serious...

E
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ok Back!

I was able to lose weight a couple of time while on Paxil but I did balloon up when I first started taking it...Then I had my boys in 2007 and tried to take off the baby weight on and off...

I joined MFP last January and I was able to lose 25 pounds VERYYYYYYYY SLOWLY...Lots of workouts, lots of water and lots of journaling...

Over the years I started on 60 mg, then 50, was on 40 for a while until we decided to get pregnant and was back on 40 mg 6 weeks post-partum after the twins...

Right now I am at 20mg and I sometimes do suspect Paxil might be to blame for such a slow weight loss...

The reason I mentioned the withdrawal earlier is because you need to get your doctor's approval as it is really really difficult for your body to process it...It can also be dangerous :(

I am so used to it in my system that as soon as I go over 24 hrs without my dose, I experience vertigo, the "zaps" and nausea :(

I was 25 when I started and I kinda wished I would have explored other options but at the same time it give me my Life back...

Good luck and hang in there!

E