1500 mg Sodium/day

Options
So my Sodium intake was set at 2500 on here & I didn't realize it or really pay attention to it.
Took some pics about a month ago of myself & then took more recent ones last night & I personally saw NO diff! :( (or maybe I am just being to hard on myself & waiting for that Drastic change in my looks haha)
Of course I am not going to let this bring me down, Figured out I can change the amount of Sodium I want/should consume per day, so that's been re-set to 1500.

So now with it being set to 1500/day. Wondering if you can tell me some of your fav day-day foods that are lower in sodium to give me a good idea.

Thanks Everyone :)

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Try to avoid packaged food, stay away from soup, try to enjoy food in as a pure a state as possible, avoid bottled dressings, don't eat pickled food (including olives), and watch out for spice mixes when seasoning. 1500 mgs a day can be really difficult to hit. Good luck!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable doing so, post the pictures. Sometimes others can see differences that you can't.

Lowering sodium probably isn't going to provide the results you're looking for.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make foods yourself and you won't have to worry about excess sodium.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/Archive.htm Hope that helps you find some things!

I know what you mean about not seeing results. I have lost 25 lbs and don't see a difference. I also read that if you are more bloated in the evening hours it could be air in your system. The article said something about avoiding whipped foods, puffed cereals etc. Sounded strange, but so do a lot of other things. I did notice when I am drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water it is much better. I try to keep my sodium under 1500 also. Steel cut oats are 0 sodium.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Make foods yourself and you won't have to worry about excess sodium.

^^ this! don't add salt when you cook, and use whole foods and you're good to go!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have also set my sodium level to 1500mg. It was somewhat challenging in the beginning especially when discovering all the places sodium hangs out. I have lost 16lbs and since watching my sodium my belly fat has gone down ALOT! With that said, I am watching mine due to high blood pressure and one of my goals is to get off of meds for it. The belly was a wonderful bonus! lol
    I do not use salt when cooking. I do have salt sub's on hand such as NO SALT and Mrs Dash
    If I buy any can goods for recipe I purchase and look for low sodium or no salt added ones. Hunts has a tomato sauce one and pc bluen menu has broth ones which are used alot for cooking. However, the best way to avoid most of it is to make tomato sauce, broths, hummas (not canned chick peas) etc yourself but that will depend on whether or not you enjoy cooking and/or have time. Once you get it all figured out its not so bad. It becomes a way of life and you actually start disliking salty food.
    Hope that helps! Good luck
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have also set my sodium level to 1500mg. It was somewhat challenging in the beginning especially when discovering all the places sodium hangs out. I have lost 16lbs and since watching my sodium my belly fat has gone down ALOT! With that said, I am watching mine due to high blood pressure and one of my goals is to get off of meds for it. The belly was a wonderful bonus! lol
    I do not use salt when cooking. I do have salt sub's on hand such as NO SALT and Mrs Dash
    If I buy any can goods for recipe I purchase and look for low sodium or no salt added ones. Hunts has a tomato sauce one and pc bluen menu has broth ones which are used alot for cooking. However, the best way to avoid most of it is to make tomato sauce, broths, hummas (not canned chick peas) etc yourself but that will depend on whether or not you enjoy cooking and/or have time. Once you get it all figured out its not so bad. It becomes a way of life and you actually start disliking salty food.
    Hope that helps! Good luck
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I am planning on posting my pics sometime this week for sure.
    That's what I am thinking too, someone else might be able to see a diff :)
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just added sodium to my tracking a little while ago. How do I change the number?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, what's the point of sodium tracking??? Decreasing your sodium might lead to losing a couple pounds of water weight, but why would it be helpful for losing fat???

Unless you have high blood pressure, and are sodium sensative (only 1/3 of the population is), then what is the logic to eating low salt?
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think it was WebMD and a couple other health sites that said women over 40 should be limited to 1500mg. I only know the age because that is my age. I don't remember all the reasons it listed as to why. For some reason when it comes to weight loss I ask how not why. In every other area of life it is why. LOL.
  • suzyluzy
    Options
    1500 mg of sodium a day should actually be the recommended amounts. People with immune diseases (diabetes for one), and seniors and children are recommended 1500 mg.

I don't have a hard time staying within those limits as long as I do not eat out!! I make sure half my plate are vegetables and 1/4 grain and 1/4 meat. Don't put table salt on your food.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think I need to start watching my sodium levels too.......its crazy all the places you get it from, and unfortunately I am not a very good cook/have time to prepare my meals from scratch all the time too....I'm gonna try to start paying more attention to it (just added it to my diary) and start making small changes at the very least :)
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I think I need to start watching my sodium levels too.......its crazy all the places you get it from, and unfortunately I am not a very good cook/have time to prepare my meals from scratch all the time too....I'm gonna try to start paying more attention to it (just added it to my diary) and start making small changes at the very least :)

I was very surprised once I started looking at the nutritional value of how much salt is really in things. For Example:
    1 tbsp of Calorie Wise Cucumber Dressing (Kraft) is 240mg for 1 tbsp!!!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I was very surprised once I started looking at the nutritional value of how much salt is really in things. For Example:
    1 tbsp of Calorie Wise Cucumber Dressing (Kraft) is 240mg for 1 tbsp!!!

yea condiments are the worst!