YMCA or Gym?

Options
I was wondering if they were the same, or I really want to lose weight to I need to join a good gym? The reason I looked up the YMCA, is because it's no contract, only $19.50 a month for my age group, and they offer free exercise classes and a pool.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Y and love it. They have tons of classes included in our membership, machines, free weights, cardio equipment and they are there to support you with contests, personal training, group training sessions, and tons of free stuff as well. My YMCA IS a good gym! (and it's not a meat market!)
  • angeleh8
    Options
    I belong to the Y and love it. They have tons of classes included in our membership, machines, free weights, cardio equipment and they are there to support you with contests, personal training, group training sessions, and tons of free stuff as well. My YMCA IS a good gym! (and it's not a meat market!)
    Haha, I feel like I would feel more comfortable there as well! because gyms to me are for guys who are already all buff! Which I am not lol! (:
  • cdgliz
    cdgliz Posts: 16
    Options
    I belong to a small, women only fitness studio that offers classes without a contract (not curves). They have monthly class packages to choose from. I would check around and see if there isn't something a little outside the normal gym. I am a fan of the Y and went as a kid all the time, but the all women's studio is so much more fun. I have made real friends and don't have to worry about guys watching you.
  • blady135
    blady135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The Y!! I went there when I was living at home and absolutely loved it. Amazing classes and great atmosphere. Now, living in a college town and with the rec center closed on campus, I had to sign up for a gym nearby. I absolutely hated it (and some creeps staring and lurking) so I never went and it was a waste of money. Luckily, I found jazzercise classes nearby that I'm obsessed with, but I just wish I could have saved the money I used trying out the gym. In my opinion, for sure Y :)