Whey Protien

Options
I've been researching this and I asked my friend how she liked hers, but today i heard that it is bad for your kidney because of so much protein. Tell me your opinions please. and i was thinking about buying the chocolate whey protein. yay or nay?

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Edit: Get on that protein!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Your friend is wrong heh

I try to get at least 120g of protein a day. Whey makes it easier to hit that goal
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is bad for your kidneys if you consume like 300-500g in one sitting.

Also you should only worry about whey protein powders if you are unable to get your daily required protein intake from whole foods.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a kidney issue to begin with, you'd have to have massive amounts for many months at a time.
    I get 120-160g protein a day and that's pretty common ... many say 1g protein per each 1lb of your weight.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with eating enough protein. To me if you're not going extremely over your daily goals for protein, it isn't going to hurt your kidneys. Just try to find one that doesn't have a lot of extra junk in it. I take Isopure Zero Carb, mix it with coconut milk and frozen sugar free fruit. It's pretty delicious and gets the job done.
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Protein assists with building lean muscle. I agree you should try to obtain the majority of your daily protein allowance in whole foods however a good whey protein supplement is also a great addition to a clean diet. Excess protein will be stored by your body as fat however you would have to consume vast quantities (I'm not sure of the exact volume) for this to occur.

The more lean muscle you have the more efficient your body is at burning those pesky fat cells and keeping your metabolism at full throttle.

Kathy
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    THE daily amount of proteins SHOULD BE not more than 2 gr/kg, which is already hyperproteic range.
    consider whey protein not as a way to "overload" your daily protein intake, but if you can't reach a proper intake from natural sources.

i.g; if you hate/don't like meat, eggs, proteic dairies, tofu, beans... go for whey proteins in your carbs food. smoothies or similar. NOT AN ADDITION.

keep in mind, isn't only the kidney, it is about a global physiologic balance:

* your body might still extract calcium from your bones to get the extra amounts it needs to process the high amounts of protein in your diet. --- > Osteoporosis

* ingestion of a protein-rich diet over a long period leads to modification of the histological structure of the intestinal epithelium, as indicated by; pronounced atrophy of mucosa; marked inflammatory infiltration of lymphocytes in the chorion; and many intra-epithelial lymphocytes. http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/abstracts/abs2009/4May/Addou-Benounan et al.htm

* but the KIDNEY is long term actually impaired. If you're familiar with medical articles, here's just an example in support

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/9/1638.full.pdf
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is bad for your kidneys if you consume like 300-500g in one sitting.

Also you should only worry about whey protein powders if you are unable to get your daily required protein intake from whole foods.
    rep +

wait wut...