I can't breathe in this weather...

Options
and as a result I am exhausted for no reason. It recently just got cold here. I will adjust to it , but for right now I have very little motivation. I know I just need to force myself to go work out ... I just get so frustrated when I can only get halfway through a workout without asthma kicking me in the lungs. After 22 years , I should be used to it ... I just never was that dedicated to pushing through it until now.

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic too and it sounds like you need to up your preventor medication. I had a bad winter last year when asthma came back with a vengeance after several years of nothing. Believe me I am religious about taking my meds now particularly as the cold weather sets in! Talk to your asthma nurse or GP because the lack of motivation might be because the asthma is uncontrolled. I landed in A&E last winter for that reason! Get it checked at to rule it out! It is way more serious than a few pounds weight!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem during the hot months (which around here is most of them). But I don't think I have asthma. I'm just allergic to everything. I dread Spring and especially Summer, I don't know how I'm going to manage to keep working out. I'll try, though. Even if it means cutting my workouts in half or taking long breaks every ten minutes. I get dizzy, too. It's awful.
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic too and it sounds like you need to up your preventor medication. I had a bad winter last year when asthma came back with a vengeance after several years of nothing. Believe me I am religious about taking my meds now particularly as the cold weather sets in! Talk to your asthma nurse or GP because the lack of motivation might be because the asthma is uncontrolled. I landed in A&E last winter for that reason! Get it checked at to rule it out! It is way more serious than a few pounds weight!

Mine was pretty bad last year too. I was on prednisone for 7 days in November and gained 10 pounds then for 3 weeks at the end of February and gained 25 pounds. It has taken me forever to begin losing weight, despite my efforts. I take singulair for maintenance and zyrtec on top of it if my allergies are bad. I have an inhaled steroid I could take daily, but I'm afraid of the side effects.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't have asthma, but I find cold air harder to breathe. When it was hot and humid, I had no problems, as long as I wasn't in direct sunlight.

When it is cold out though (40 degrees F), I go jump rope for about 4 minutes and my lungs start to sting and I'm exhausted. Under normal circumstances, I can usually go 12 minutes.
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm just exhausted... and it's really messing with my mood. I'm going to try to go workout before work in the morning. It'll still be cold, but at least if I don't make it all the way through the workout I can go back afterwork. Oh yea, it's also finals week and I have a 50 page paper due. I need energy!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have asthma, too...colds go right to my lungs and running outside in the cold is difficult...

I am on advair...it is a maintance inhaled steroid...2x a day. I hardly ever use my rescue inhalor as long as I use the advair.

Singulair is more for allergies I thought...

It sounds like you need to have your meds looked at, I would ask your dr.