The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Okay.....I think I got it now....Thank you!!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi Olivia! Can you please help me out? I've been trying to lose the last 15 for almost 2 years with no success at all!

According to MFP, my BMR is 1355. I am moderately active I would say (on feet all day in busy bakery job 45 hours a week plus 45 minute brisk walks 4-5 days week. No strength training yet, but planning on adding that in soon)

Thank you!
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi Olivia! Can you please help me out? I've been trying to lose the last 15 for almost 2 years with no success at all!

According to MFP, my BMR is 1355. I am moderately active I would say (on feet all day in busy bakery job 45 hours a week plus 45 minute brisk walks 4-5 days week. No strength training yet, but planning on adding that in soon)

Thank you!

Ok, I would set your MFP goal to maintain with a lightly active setting (use MFP's lightly active, it should be around your BMR x 1.375 or around 1863. Aim to eat at least 1355 (make it 1400 to be on the safe side). With eating 1400 everyday, you'll be creating a 463 calorie deficit, regardless of whether you do a walk or not. Log your brisk walks in mfp under exercise and as long as your calories burned doesn't go over 537, try not to eat them back (unless you're hungry of course). At 537 calories you'll be creating a 1000 calorie deficit. Anything over this you should eat the extra calories.

As a general guideline, never go below 1355, and always keep the green number under calories remaining under 1000.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Ok, I would set your MFP goal to maintain with a lightly active setting (use MFP's lightly active, it should be around your BMR x 1.375 or around 1863. Aim to eat at least 1355 (make it 1400 to be on the safe side). With eating 1400 everyday, you'll be creating a 463 calorie deficit, regardless of whether you do a walk or not. Log your brisk walks in mfp under exercise and as long as your calories burned doesn't go over 537, try not to eat them back (unless you're hungry of course). At 537 calories you'll be creating a 1000 calorie deficit. Anything over this you should eat the extra calories.

As a general guideline, never go below 1355, and always keep the green number under calories remaining under 1000.

Thanks so much! :) I will definitely try this and see how it goes :)
  • califigureeight
    Options
    I think I have it....

Current Weight: 266
    BMR: 1913
    Maintenance: 2390
    The difference after the formula is 523......I'm getting kind of lost here but I'm thinking that, oh forget it....HELP!!!

Retry: Since I got this far, what if I set my goal at 1390 a day and kept track of my calories burned but not on MFP? Wouldn't I loose 2 pounds in a week? I'm going to stick around for an answer, if anyone is so kind to explain where I got lost and inbox me, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with my 1390 for a week and see what happens :)

Yes, I would stick to the 1390 for now, and eat all your exercise calories to keep the 1000 calorie deficit. As you lose weight, that number (1390) will go down and down and down until it hits 1200. Since it's unhealthy for anyone to eat less than 1200 calories, MFP caps it off there. At 1200, your Maintenance should be 2200. Once your maintenance starts going below 2200, you can switch to this method which will allow you to still get that 1000 calorie deficit with exercise. But for now - stick with the MFP ways. Good luck :)

Thanks much! I actually left my setting at 2390 and my goal is to have 1000 in the green after I'm done eating and exercising each day. I know that it's the same as zeroing out on the MFP goals but the look of it inspires me :)

I really appreciate this post. Although I don't need to loose your method right now, it does help.
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this out! I'm going to study up on it and give it a try!!
  • obolton755
    Options
    i'm tempted to follow this... as my name is also Olivia... is that sad?!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    So I do this, I think.

BMR = 1345
    1345 x 1.3 = 1749
    1345 + 1000 - 1749 = 596

So what you're saying is I shouldn't eat my exercise cals unless I burn more than 596 of them?
    Right?
  • olivia3263
    Options
    So I do this, I think.

BMR = 1345
    1345 x 1.3 = 1749
    1345 + 1000 - 1749 = 596

So what you're saying is I shouldn't eat my exercise cals unless I burn more than 596 of them?
    Right?

Well, you can if you want - depends what kind of deficit you want. If you're hungry, please eat. But if you burn more than 596 you HAVE to eat the extra back. Just keep the green number under 1000 :)
  • olivia3263
    Options
    i'm tempted to follow this... as my name is also Olivia... is that sad?!

DO IT! I love meeting other Olivias :)
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for about 3 weeks and coming pretty close to my goal weight (8-12% more weight to lose). I know I'm overtraining and undereating, but it's hard to stop. I'm gonna try this method for December and see if it works. Joined the Olivia Method Group as well.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    This sounds really interesting! I'm going to try it. I like the idea of seeing my actual deficit for the day. I'm only about 7 - 12 pounds from my ultimate goal and have been confused about how much I should be eating. I think seeing it this way will also help me feel less anxious if I have a random "cheat" day (within reason). Instead of automatically going into the red, I'll know if/when I'm simply cutting my deficit. Thanks!
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    Bump for a future reference :)
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    BUMP!
  • PerfectPout
    PerfectPout Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,359 calories/day*
  • PerfectPout
    PerfectPout Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi Olivia

Can you help me? I am exercising and having a deficit each day but not losing weight.

I am 5" 2' and weigh 72kgs and I want to lose 12-14kgs.

I am also breastfeeding so I need to add another 1500 calories on top of what my goal calories are: MFP says I need to eat 1240 calories.

I do at least 20 mins strength/cardio and walk 30mins 5-6 days a week.

Can you work out what I need to set my MFP at?

Thanks

What is your BMR? I can't figure it out without that number.

My estimated BMR is: 1,359 calories/day*
  • olivia3263
    Options
    Hi Olivia

Can you help me? I am exercising and having a deficit each day but not losing weight.

I am 5" 2' and weigh 72kgs and I want to lose 12-14kgs.

I am also breastfeeding so I need to add another 1500 calories on top of what my goal calories are: MFP says I need to eat 1240 calories.

I do at least 20 mins strength/cardio and walk 30mins 5-6 days a week.

Can you work out what I need to set my MFP at?

Thanks

What is your BMR? I can't figure it out without that number.

My estimated BMR is: 1,359 calories/day*

Change your MFP calorie goal to maintain your weight. (I use 1.3 which is in between sedentary and lightly active). Using that your maintenance would be 1767. Aim to eat around 1400 calories each day - sometimes higher but never lower, whether you workout or not. If you wanted to create a 1000 calorie deficit (maximum) you'd need to burn 633 calories exercising and not eat them back - please note, you can eat them back if you're hungry. This just tells you the maximum. If you burn any more than 633, you'd need to eat the surplus calories.

In basic terms, set to maintain. Eat at least 1400 each day. Keep your calories remaining (green number) under 1000. Simple as that.